Weird Warning lights. HELP! [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Weird Warning lights. HELP!

Litlslggr
11-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Alright, so I am brand new to DSM's. I have had this Talon for about two weeks now. When I bought it, nothing seemed to be wrong with it. I checked over everything and only found a leaky thermostat gasket. A few days later, my battery, overheat, and brake light came on and stayed on. I searched all over the forums and checked for answers. The next day i was driving to get a new alternator when all my lights went up and blew my interior lights and my ecu. The voltage regulator was out. I bought a new battery, alternator, belts, and ecu. Everything was great. But out of nowhere when I started her up cold one night I noticed the lights were fluctuating and those three lights were on. After that the lights come on and off randomly and it idles at 2500-3000 every once in a while. I checked the IAC and it seemed to be working fine. But could it be that it works sometimes and doesnt work next? I am stuck! Any ideas would be appreciated. Also my friend has a Modis, and with the old ECU and new ECU the modis continued to tell us that the MIL was on when it wasn't.
Thanks

Red1991TSI
11-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Check your fusible link. It's the 100 amp fuse at the corner of the fuse box in the engine bay. It uses 2 10mm bolts to hold it in. If that is blown, the alt won't charge the battery.

Litlslggr
11-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Alright, I just pulled that out and it seems to be fine. I hooked up my Voltmeter the the B+ terminal on the alternator and the ground. It read in the 14s which means the alternator is putting out. But I found a wire hanging out the alternator connector. Its yellow with a red stripe. I have searched All Data and my manual and I can't find what it is.

Red1991TSI
11-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I can't quite recall which wire does what but I'm pretty sure that may be your problem. Check out VFAQ.com to see if they have and information on the alternator. Check in the "electrical" section.

EDIT: I know the variable power steering wire also comes from the alternatory wiring harness area. Do you have the wire connected to the nipple on the PS pump?

AK Maniak
11-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I had similar problems and I even blew the 100amp fuse mentioned above 2 or 3 times but it ended up being the wires coming from the alternator were rubbing against my o2 sensor. I'm sure you already checked something as simple as that but just in case you didn't it's never a bad idea to double check

Litlslggr
11-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Alright. I took it to my buddy's shop and we still have NO idea what that wire is. I followed the PS wire and it was fine. We checked all the grounds. Some of them were pretty dirty and rigged up. The guy I picked it up from did not know much about anything. Some grounds were just little clips. I have a feeling I am in for a lot of electrical problems with this car. I will keep researching that wire and if I don't find anything I will strip it all out and see where it leads.