Hahn Portfueler [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Hahn Portfueler

Lillcubby
12-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Has anyone used this product? Also what is everyones thought on this? Does it close the gap a little on the pros vs cons of turboing a 420A? I welcome the comments of 420A and 4G63 fans, however, if you do not know anything about this product and don't want to research it please don't post. I don't want to start a 420A war as there are too many threads in that department.

"Someday a person will say sell your gst and buy a gs... then I will die a happy man"

Jmonet1620
12-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Sell it and buy a 4g63!!!!!

But seriously, this looks like a good product. I have been doing a little research in my spare time to help a friend out who insists on turboing his 420a.(I can't talk him out of it:chair:) I came across this myself and thought that it would be the way to go. There are not alot of options out there for tuning a 420a but from the little I read this seems to be easy and best option.

You should buy it and let me know how it works and if you like it so I can tell my buddy to get it or not.

Jmonet1620
12-02-2010, 11:50 AM
I just found the price for this product and I gotta say it helps add the the cons of turboing a 420a. $1239.99 is a bit pricey for me but if I spent all the other money to turbo a 420a whats another $1000+?

Lillcubby
12-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I just found the price for this product and I gotta say it helps add the the cons of turboing a 420a. $1239.99 is a bit pricey for me but if I spent all the other money to turbo a 420a whats another $1000+?

I thought the price was good considering it comes with injectors and you dont have to spend the time tuning and screwing with a megasquirt system. I like how you are helping your friend turbo a 420A. Mortal enemies of the 420A/4G63 community are bonding?!?! I almost don't believe you.

CrackedDSM
12-02-2010, 12:20 PM
I thought the price was good considering it comes with injectors and you dont have to spend the time tuning and screwing with a megasquirt system. I like how you are helping your friend turbo a 420A. Mortal enemies of the 420A/4G63 community are bonding?!?! I almost don't believe you.

We aren't mortal enemies. The fact is the 4G63 is the superior motor, and when 420A guys refuse to admit this, that's when the argument happens.

On Topic: For $1200, couldn't you just invest in an AEM EMS, or does AEM not make a product for the 420a cars?

Jmonet1620
12-02-2010, 02:25 PM
I thought the price was good

Well like I said as far as the pros and cons go this defiantly falls into the cons. By that I mean $1200 for this system to put on the 420a or $300(injectors)+$500(dsmlink) for the 4g63. Alot of the performance stuff for a 420a that I have found is very pricey when compared to the 4g63. That probably has alot to do with higher demand and more competing companies for the 4g.

Anyways do you already have your 420a turbo'd? If so get this and let me know how it works!!!:D

lazylaser
12-02-2010, 02:49 PM
"Someday a person will say sell your gst and buy a gs... then I will die a happy man"

If you had a GST, I would tell you to sell it and buy a GS. :gay:

Wow do you pay out the butt for hahn racecraft stuff. Looks like they found a good market with the 420a'rs out there, I guess just like the guys that make parts for the d-series, somebody has to do it... That port fueler seems pretty neat, If money is no issue I would bolt it on a give it a go I don't see anything wrong with it. And it can always be tuned for custom applications. Is there a reason you cant buy injectors and AEM then tune yourself?

Lillcubby
12-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Anyways do you already have your 420a turbo'd? If so get this and let me know how it works!!!:D

In short no I havn't. The story of my dsm life is long and sad. I wanted a project car for autocross and I was on the fence between the 2g 4g63 and 420a. I wanted front wheel drive because I've drove awd and front and I prefer front for autox. I was looking into a gst that would run me about $3500 but this 96 rs dropped into my lap for almost nothing. I've rebuilt 2 420A's in the past and know it forwards and backwards. So I decided to fully commit to this build thats why I'm looking into the portfueler. I don't want to derail this topic too much so if you have any questions about what I did in the past or my plan PM me.

:offtopic:

Lillcubby
12-02-2010, 03:51 PM
If you had a GST, I would tell you to sell it and buy a GS. :gay:

Wow do you pay out the butt for hahn racecraft stuff. Looks like they found a good market with the 420a'rs out there, I guess just like the guys that make parts for the d-series, somebody has to do it... That port fueler seems pretty neat, If money is no issue I would bolt it on a give it a go I don't see anything wrong with it. And it can always be tuned for custom applications. Is there a reason you cant buy injectors and AEM then tune yourself?

My whole thing is does this system do what it claims to do? It runs two sets of injectors, the stock injectors at idle and high performance injectors when you lay on the throttle. That way you don't have to worry about emissions, rough idle or having your mpg go to crap (if you can keep your foot out of it.) Also fmus only calibrate at around 4 points on the fuel curve while this system claims to be able to calibrate on a 1000 different points. Plus it regulates your fuel pressure so you don't have low pressure at idle and pressure spikes at high rpms.

My main question is does it do what it claims to do? Is it worth spending a few hundred dollars more not to mention having to own a 420A (none available for the 4g63 yet... suckas ;).)? I know Hahn is a pro company (especially in the 420A department) but is there anyone out there using this system?

Gray91GSX
12-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Sure its nice, but the 420a will always cost more in the long run. We basically stick with the 4g63 but we do have a small 420a section on here. With that being said, 2gnt.com or whatever it is, has tons of info on turbo charging the 420a using a Hahn high-cash system. My friend who for some god awful reason loves the 420a, which isn't even a DSM, and he basically knows everything needed to turbo charge the GS from 2gnt.

CrackedDSM
12-02-2010, 10:11 PM
(none available for the 4g63 yet... suckas ;).)

We don't need one. We have DSMLink for $500-$600, we have the Ostrich 2.0 for $175, and a crap ton of other products that do the same thing, for a hell of a lot cheaper. Everything from standalone EMS to piggybacks for a whole..whole lot cheaper.

Lillcubby
12-03-2010, 10:16 AM
We don't need one. We have DSMLink for $500-$600, we have the Ostrich 2.0 for $175, and a crap ton of other products that do the same thing, for a hell of a lot cheaper. Everything from standalone EMS to piggybacks for a whole..whole lot cheaper.

Ok so $500 for the dsmlink and $500 for injectors = $1000 bucks

Portfueler = just under $1300

Would you pay 300 bucks not to worry about passing emissions and having your check engine light on (which where I live is an automatic fail on the emissions testing.) Granted this isn't my DD but I still don't want to tow my car to the track every Sat.

Gray91GSX
12-03-2010, 10:33 AM
DSMLink can turn off check engine lights, better tune equals better emissions, and injectors are only around 280-320 at the most. We don't have to do the bull shit 8 injectors like yall do.

Lillcubby
12-03-2010, 10:56 AM
My friend who for some god awful reason loves the 420a, which isn't even a DSM, and he basically knows everything needed to turbo charge the GS from 2gnt.

Actually Grey, any eclipse made after 95 isn't a DSM it's a MMMA Mitsubishi Motors Manufacturing of America. Mitsubishi renamed Diamond Star Motors (DSM) in 95 after the bought out Chrysler. They still to this day continue to work with Chrysler in certian areas. The 420A is a chrysler block but it was only after Mitsubishi bought out Chrysler that they put it in the 2g eclipse. If you actually research what a DSM is you would know that unless your car was made in the 10-year-gap between 1985 and 1995 its not a true DSM.

"What good is the internet, with it's endless supply of information, if people are too dumb to use it?"

Gray91GSX
12-03-2010, 11:00 AM
I know what a DSM is. I know the 420a is a Chrysler block aka neon engine, just flipped. Diamond Star Motors made my Spyder and it was made in 96.

What good is the internet, when you have someone one that loves to read WIKIPEDIA and thinks he knows all that?

Lillcubby
12-03-2010, 11:05 AM
DSMLink can turn off check engine lights, better tune equals better emissions, and injectors are only around 280-320 at the most. We don't have to do the bull shit 8 injectors like yall do.

But is it a better tune thats what I'm asking. Hahn claims this is top of the line in tuning but I don't know anyone who has used it. Whats wrong with 8 injectors? One set that runs stock and one set thats high flow I think thats a great idea. :dunno:

lazylaser
12-03-2010, 12:35 PM
But is it a better tune thats what I'm asking. Hahn claims this is top of the line in tuning but I don't know anyone who has used it. Whats wrong with 8 injectors? One set that runs stock and one set thats high flow I think thats a great idea. :dunno:

Diamond Star Motors made my Talon and it was made in 97, it even has the DSM plaque.

See my MPG in my sig? I have emission stickers too, the car is a d.d. with 4 780cc injectors and no cat. Good tuning will give you better MPG and allow you to pass emissions. Injectors don't just blast 100% all the time, hence duty cycle. Your MPG will go down just as much with 8 injectors as it would 4 if you can't keep your foot out of it.

"Hahn did the dirty work so you don't have to learn anything more about your own car."

SLEEPS
12-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Actually Grey, any eclipse made after 95 isn't a DSM it's a MMMA Mitsubishi Motors Manufacturing of America. Mitsubishi renamed Diamond Star Motors (DSM) in 95 after the bought out Chrysler. They still to this day continue to work with Chrysler in certian areas. The 420A is a chrysler block but it was only after Mitsubishi bought out Chrysler that they put it in the 2g eclipse. If you actually research what a DSM is you would know that unless your car was made in the 10-year-gap between 1985 and 1995 its not a true DSM.

"What good is the internet, with it's endless supply of information, if people are too dumb to use it?"

Uh...Mitsubishi never bought chrysler. They just used some of the same engines (look up global engine), much like Hyundia, kia, and mitsubishi still do to this day.

Nothing is wrong with it, but most well done street and or track cars have no need for 8 injectors, that is if they are built and tuned right. 8 injectors is just a safe "cheat" way to sell a product to those who dont want to do it right. Much like 80% of the aftermarket products out now.

Diamond Star Motors made my Talon and it was made in 97, it even has the DSM plaque.

See my MPG in my sig? I have emission stickers too, the car is a d.d. with 4 780cc injectors and no cat. Good tuning will give you better MPG and allow you to pass emissions. Injectors don't just blast 100% all the time, hence duty cycle. Your MPG will go down just as much with 8 injectors as it would 4 if you can't keep your foot out of it.

"Hahn did the dirty work so you don't have to learn anything more about your own car."

Exactly, truly smart and well built cars dont need to sacrifice efficency for power. In fact they should go hand in hand.

CrackedDSM
12-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Ok so $500 for the dsmlink and $500 for injectors = $1000 bucks

Portfueler = just under $1300

Would you pay 300 bucks not to worry about passing emissions and having your check engine light on (which where I live is an automatic fail on the emissions testing.) Granted this isn't my DD but I still don't want to tow my car to the track every Sat.

Actually no, injectors brand new are like $320. You can get them in the classifieds for like $100-$200. And I didn't pay for DSMLink, I got an Ostrich for $175, so I'm even better off than any of you 420a guys. Got my injectors for $150, and my Ostrich for $175. I can spend the rest on mods that you 420a people have to spend on JUST a management system.

Also, don't be a douche bag. As Gray mentioned, any dumbass can look up "facts" on Wikipedia and instantly think himself exceedingly intelligent. You cannot act intelligent. You own a 420a and are trying to turbocharge it. ;)

9.0Buck60
12-04-2010, 06:13 AM
My close friend has one in his 420A 97' GS Eclipse. The 420A is a robust,full skirt motor. His perticular car makes 450whp. I remember when he bought the port fueler. That was a few years ago,so it's been out for a while. But he said to me that it worked out well.
There are more than a few pretty fast 420A cars out there. One I recall was in the NOPI series a few years ago. It was a red 2 door 1G Neon. He was running 10.00 flat when I saw him run at Atco in 05'. I can't recall his name. I just remember seeing him run against Ivey when I had gone to the track to see the car run before I had purchased it.

9.0Buck60
12-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Actually no, injectors brand new are like $320. You can get them in the classifieds for like $100-$200. And I didn't pay for DSMLink, I got an Ostrich for $175, so I'm even better off than any of you 420a guys. Got my injectors for $150, and my Ostrich for $175. I can spend the rest on mods that you 420a people have to spend on JUST a management system.

Also, don't be a douche bag. As Gray mentioned, any dumbass can look up "facts" on Wikipedia and instantly think himself exceedingly intelligent. You cannot act intelligent. You own a 420a and are trying to turbocharge it. ;)

Yeah,thats how the Honda crowd feels about us DSM owners. You can't argue with the fact that it costs way less to build a 9 second Honda than it does a 1G AWD DSM for example. But we still do it.

frankozz
12-04-2010, 09:36 AM

My new sig ;)