What Clutch should I buy? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: What Clutch should I buy?

GSXMARK
01-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I have a stock 99 gsx with about 96k miles on it. The Clutch is slipping on me. I have had it for 2 years and am paying it off still. The funds have just not cometo be able to make it faster. Which sucks ass!:( But maybe in a few more years(prbly summer2012 when its paid off) ill try to get around 300 hp. Do you guys think I should get a cheap clutch for now or will one of the ACT 2600 last a few years? Thank you

jaylowe03
01-02-2011, 08:23 PM
My sugestion is the XTD stage 4 Im still new to the DSM world you could say but I have read a few reviews on the xtd stage 4 and there has been a few people that have made them last around 4 years. it is a very cheap clutch that actualy works well. check it out on here and on ebay. Just search XTD review you should be able to find it.
That way your not spending a lot of cash that by the sounds of it you dont have which a lot of us dont have either. Again its a cheap and proven alternative thats all I am saying it is really up to you.

akira235
01-02-2011, 08:32 PM
i wouldn't recommend the stage 4, thats somewhat excessive for your goals, and it'll be a pain to drive (not impossible, just annoying) I'd suggest the stage 2 or 3, from xtd. I have the stage 1 in my car and I love it. xtd makes an excellent product and they are very inexpensive

GSXMARK
01-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Wow XTD is much cheaper than act. Just what I was looking for. Thanks! I kinda overlooked them before thinking only act was quality enough. But yeah I drive my car every day through lots of stop lights so I dont want a clutch thats to hard to press down.

jaylowe03
01-02-2011, 08:46 PM
I agree go with the the stage 2 or 3 the only thing I have heard bad about the stage 2 or 3 is the springs can sometimes pop out but that can trully happen to any srung clutch. XTD just happened to be a good quality clutch that kind of shocked everyone on how cheap but reliable they can be. glad we could help you with your clutch choice

Speedemon636
01-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Wow those are some nice prices! Are their HP ratings accurate?

Bradikus7
01-03-2011, 12:26 AM
I would have to disagree. I heard great things about XTD, got the stage 1, exploded in my trans. Wasn't trying to launch or anything, slowly grabbing from a stop sign. Probably not even 50 miles on the thing. Ruined my trans. My dumbass went out and got an XTD stage 3 for my next trans and hated it the whole time I had the car. Don't belive that one exploded as I sold the car shortly after, but the drivability was turrible, just turrible:P.

I personally will be going with the ACT 2600 with street disc soon. My clutch is slipping on my current DSM.

But of course thats just my opinion. You will find there are a lot of them on Dsmtalk. You should do tons of searching and reading before you decide. Take into consideration your "realistic" long term goals with the car.

GSXMARK
01-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Ok so I have read a few other forums such as supra and rx7 and it turns out that XTD is a big scam and there clutches are junk. Well at least thats what I read when I googled XTD. I seems kinda to good to be true, a clutch kit for $120

J_DiZ
01-07-2011, 08:01 PM
The stage 4 and only the stage 4 have proven to have any kind of slight quality to them. I do say slight. Everyone that I have ever heard talk about any other XTD, talk about them exploding inside trannys. I also believe the stage 4 would be too much for you though. In all honestly, buy quality and buy it only once.

GSXMARK
01-07-2011, 08:50 PM
The stage 4 and only the stage 4 have proven to have any kind of slight quality to them. I do say slight. Everyone that I have ever heard talk about any other XTD, talk about them exploding inside trannys. I also believe the stage 4 would be too much for you though. In all honestly, buy quality and buy it only once.

Ok cool I am def leaning tords ACT Quality now. Just trying to figure out if i should get the 2600 or if its to much for my goals and should just pick up the 2100

NCDirtrider249
01-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I would go with a southbend clutch. I've always herd good things from people using their products, and id stay away from spec. On my old 3s, it lasted for two months with no launches.

dsmchris27
01-08-2011, 02:09 AM
I use a act 2600 with a southbend carbon feremic clutch disc. Nice setup, handles my 2.4 stroker and borg warner very well!! It's a bit pricey but it is deffinetly worth spending the money on a good clutch because you want to be able to protect our transmissions at all costs. I wouldnt recommend a 2100 because for the money, you will not be getting what you get with the 2600. I personally like the feel of a stiff clutch in my dsm. I use to use a 2600 with a 6 puck sprung disc and loved the way it felt driving the car around, but that is just my opinion.

cAPSlOCK97gst
01-08-2011, 04:03 AM
If you plan to stay near-stock, go ACT 2100.

Any turbo-swap plans (14B thru 50 trim) in the future, go ACT 2600.

motozachl
01-08-2011, 09:44 AM
I normally use the proven act2600 but now have a southbend and its great! Just make sure to replace the throwout bearing with OEM

MacGSX
01-08-2011, 10:05 AM
ACT 2600 with a Street disk and be done.

Jordan

HOT97ECLIPSEGSX
01-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Maybe it's just my car, but when I launch my car with my 2600 and street disk it hates it. I eat clutch every time.

My competition clutch 6-puck LOVED launches and I never ate any clutch. Although, I couldn't tell when my disk was done, and the metal part of the disk ate my flywheel. She engaged every gear until she went down to the rivets on the disk.

MacGSX
01-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Like I tell everyone, my street disk lasted over 30k with launches on it. Never slipped once. all on a 50trim at 25psi.

GSXMARK
01-09-2011, 10:06 PM
I know this just isnt very DSM of me but to me right now $400 to 500 bucks for a clutch is a lot. Maybe I should just get a stock clutch for me needs right now. Where can I pick up a clutch thats closer to stock for less money than the ACT? Thanks for all the help. I wish I could mod my car more but I really can't right now. So im just looking to take care of my dsm for now.

1990TalonFast
01-10-2011, 10:13 PM
If you are on a budget a XTD Stage 4 will works perfectly if you install everything right.

If not than the usual will do.