Is it safe to run PTE SCM5031e? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Is it safe to run PTE SCM5031e?

1990TalonFast
02-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I have the money for a new turbo to upgrade my Evo 3 16g, so far my modifications are...

Walboro 255 (on its way) (rewired 10awg)
AFPR (have not ordered yet)
780 Injectors (on its way)
SAFC (on its way)
3inch intake
3inch downpipe & exhaust
VRSF FMIC (backordered)
Greddy Bov (on its way)
3g lifters (on its way)
DSMlink & 1g eprom ECU (not ordered yet)
MMCD tuning
Act 2600 clutch (on its way)
PTE SCM5031e (?)
Wideband o2 (will order with DSMlink)

So far I have ordered most of the above parts, should I be able to safely run a PTE SCM5031e.

The engine has 105,000 miles on it with a new timing belt and all other belts.

lazylaser
02-09-2011, 04:51 PM
SAFC And DSMLINK?

Quit wasting peoples time with this stupid shit.

Awesome! You taking that to a shop to be tuned? Or you just winging it, "seat of your pants" stuff? I'm guessing its going to a shop with a sniffer 'cause you don't have a wideband or anything listed. Unless you are just going to tune for knock. FFS SEARCH!

1990TalonFast
02-09-2011, 04:59 PM
SAFC And DSMLINK?

Quit wasting peoples time with this stupid shit.

Awesome! You taking that to a shop to be tuned? Or you just winging it, "seat of your pants" stuff? I'm guessing its going to a shop with a sniffer 'cause you don't have a wideband or anything listed. Unless you are just going to tune for knock. FFS SEARCH!

Well I just wont order DSMlink, safc should work fine for now.

lazylaser
02-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Walboro 255 (on its way) (rewired 10awg) FINE
AFPR (have not ordered yet) FINE
780 Injectors (on its way) FINE
SAFC (on its way) WTF, not used with 'link
3inch intake FINE
3inch downpipe & exhaust FINE
VRSF FMIC (backordered) FINE
Greddy Bov (on its way) FINE
3g lifters (on its way) FINE
DSMlink & 1g eprom ECU (not ordered yet) FINE
MMCD tuning Again WTF, not used with 'link
Act 2600 clutch (on its way) FINE
PTE SCM5031e (?) Make sure you read up on oiling these, browse the build threads and check out what justmx141 (sp) has to say about these. I had one fucking hard time with pte.
Wideband o2 (will order with DSMlink) FINE

The engine has 105,000 miles on it with a new timing belt and all other belts. FINE

cAPSlOCK97gst
02-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Journal bearing PTEs have had a rough history with DSMs.

1990TalonFast
02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
What would be a good alternative for around $600-$800?

cAPSlOCK97gst
02-09-2011, 07:56 PM
To make it a worthwhile upgrade from a 16G, there aren't many quality options in that price range if you are buying new.

You could try the 20G from Forced Performance for $539 and swap on your 7cm turbine housing, but that will only get you a few more lbs/min over your 16G.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=49178-04600&Category_Code=Turbo-Mitsu

cAPSlOCK97gst
02-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Alternatively, you may have more success with a Bullseye Power BorgWarner non-extended tip turbo:

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/search.php?mode=search&substring=&veh=1G+DSM&cat=263&type=Turbochargers

swade
02-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Im going to go out on a limb here although a small one, still a limb. If you are having to ask these questions you probably dont need to be upgrading from the 16g. Also with the list you posted, the 16g still has ALOT of room to go. Save the money you were going to spend on the turbo and the money from the logger and afc and buy ECMLink. It will be the best investment for DSM you can make (other than AAA lol). Your 16g has more potential and power than most people think, they all just want to jump up to bigger turbos before their 16g is maxed out. Stick with the 16g for now.

swade

19GSX97
02-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Borg Warner turbo FTW. I would have gotten bigger injectors than 780.

swade
02-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Borg Warner turbo FTW. I would have gotten bigger injectors than 780.

Not with them being tuned by an afc...

swade

19GSX97
02-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Yeah man save the money and get V3 lite. Then if you want you can upgrade later on down the road. All you pay is the difference in the two to upgrade.

Sinluien
02-09-2011, 08:48 PM
DSMLINK FTMFW. Aside from that, what are your current mods? You don't have anything listed. I also believe there is only 1 upgrade from a 16g in my opinion. HX or spend over a grand. Not to mention I'm going to run a small 16g on 750's with link on the wife's car. So are you running 25 psi on it already or what?

1990TalonFast
02-09-2011, 09:22 PM
I have the money for a new turbo to upgrade my Evo 3 16g, so far my modifications are...

Walboro 255 (on its way) (rewired 10awg)
AFPR (have not ordered yet)
780 Injectors (on its way)
SAFC (on its way)
3inch intake
3inch downpipe & exhaust
VRSF FMIC (backordered)
Greddy Bov (on its way)
3g lifters (on its way)
DSMlink & 1g eprom ECU (not ordered yet)
MMCD tuning
Act 2600 clutch (on its way)
PTE SCM5031e (?)
Wideband o2 (will order with DSMlink)

So far I have ordered most of the above parts, should I be able to safely run a PTE SCM5031e.

The engine has 105,000 miles on it with a new timing belt and all other belts.

These are my only mods as of right now, my goal is around 400awhp on pump gas, my long term goal is 500awhp but I haven't even got that far yet though :eek:

I just need a turbo that can comfortably handle 400 with some elbow room to increase a little, I have been doing some research on some turbos and forced performance sells some great turbos.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=DSMGREENSale&Category_Code=DSM-Turbo

I am thinking about returning the SAFC and just ordering dsmlink v3.

Sinluien
02-09-2011, 09:29 PM
On the cheap? HX dude and it gives you a lot of room. For sure AFC is gone, and learn to tune on your own. Or wait for a dyno day. I spent 500 on my total HX setup, made my own header and whatnot.

Now, not cheap i would go with something from forced, something like a 3582.

cAPSlOCK97gst
02-09-2011, 09:37 PM
On the cheap? HX dude and it gives you a lot of room. For sure AFC is gone, and learn to tune on your own. Or wait for a dyno day. I spent 500 on my total HX setup, made my own header and whatnot.

Now, not cheap i would go with something from forced, something like a 3582.

Where are you going to find a new HX for cheap? Consider the other stuff you have to buy to make it work...

1990TalonFast
02-09-2011, 09:37 PM
DSMLINK FTMFW. Aside from that, what are your current mods? You don't have anything listed. I also believe there is only 1 upgrade from a 16g in my opinion. HX or spend over a grand. Not to mention I'm going to run a small 16g on 750's with link on the wife's car. So are you running 25 psi on it already or what?

I haven't received my parts yet, when I do I will see how for I can take my evo 3, I think its on its last legs though lol

For now I might just hold out on the turbo for a few months but I did check out that fp 20g and it is a great deal.

Sinluien
02-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Where are you going to find a new HX for cheap? Consider the other stuff you have to buy to make it work...

Rebuilds from local diesel shops, send it off to get rebuilt. TBH i haven't seen but 1 junk used one that i still bought for 100 bucks from a you wrench it. Aside from a wastegate and an oil line not much you need that can't be found easily. Fab shops, exhaust shops or yourself. Pretty easy to fab pipes i think, buying pre-bent pipes and welding or having them welded.

I guess sometimes i don't take into consideration peoples spare parts and/or their abilities. My bad, thanks for pointing that out. (not sarcasm)

tgo112
02-24-2011, 07:08 AM
As far as bang for your buck the hx series can't be beat though its tougher to get installed properly. Oil feed and drain lines and o2 housings are the difficult parts. Id suggest getting ecmlink and a water/meth kit and run the 16g at 25psi and see how long that holds you over. You'd be surprise . . .

dsmcrazy267
02-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Get link and wideband before you run 25 psi. Also don't forget about arp head studs