Street Tires [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Street Tires

MikeB_4G63
02-13-2011, 07:05 PM
My goals with my car is about 500HP. So I'm looking for a good street tire. I am really wanting to go with a set of Hoosier tires. Really love the meaty look of them. :eek: I am going to be throwing them on the stock 2g 5 spoke rims once I find a set :(. So what is good to run on the streets that Hoosier makes and how much better are they than the other leading tires out there.

MacGSX
02-13-2011, 07:12 PM
I now say there is no good street tire once you put down high numbers. I searched the forums to no end and was told that the BF Goodrich KWD's were one of the best traction street tires. Well I haven't been able to put down a 60' under 2.0. Get a drag radial and be happy :D

MikeB_4G63
02-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Would a set of drag radials be good for a weekend or 2 a month on the highways? Hoosier makes street radials but never heard of any info about them.

The_EE
02-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Depends on how you drive your car. Drive like a asshat who has to respect for anyone else on the road and you cant expect the tires to last long. Drive like a normal human being and even $69 tires will give you just fine traction. On the track though, I would suggest Hoosier, Nitto, BF Goodwrench drag radials. I run Nitto Invos which are a summer tire and still got good wet traction and even did quite well on ice/snow. I Hear BF has some of the best drag radials though.

MikeB_4G63
02-13-2011, 08:50 PM
I plan on doing some street drags on them long roads out in the desert. So no populated highway for me. The Drag strip here sucks. Its a 1/8 mile and the breaking distance is to small for comfort. Plus your can't run on the track if your car is faster than 8 seconds. So that rules my car out. :(

The_EE
02-13-2011, 09:01 PM
I plan on doing some street drags on them long roads out in the desert. So no populated highway for me. The Drag strip here sucks. Its a 1/8 mile and the breaking distance is to small for comfort. Plus your can't run on the track if your car is faster than 8 seconds. So that rules my car out. :(

Yeah, looks like all you have a Qualcomm to run. If you went up to Fontana, you could hit California speedway for the Quarter mile.

As per my sig.. not a fan of street running so... cant give advice for that.

MikeB_4G63
02-13-2011, 09:05 PM
I may have to hit that track up. Love tracks better than street. Qualcomm is a damn joke. It is a parking lot made into a strip.

The_EE
02-13-2011, 09:09 PM
I may have to hit that track up. Love tracks better than street. Qualcomm is a damn joke. It is a parking lot made into a strip.

Yeah, Perris was the same way. I had a friend who wrecked his car there. Turned out his car was too fast for the 1/8th mile track, caught a little air on a little bump which lengthened his stopping distance and it caused him to kiss a chain link fence.

Fontana runs one time a Month so you know. Check the website for dates. At least that is what they did 3 years ago.. no telling how often they run now.

MikeB_4G63
02-13-2011, 09:12 PM
I noticed CA isn't to big into drag racing like it is back home. In Kentucky there is a drag strip around every turn you made.

The_EE
02-13-2011, 09:18 PM
I noticed CA isn't to big into drag racing like it is back home. In Kentucky there is a drag strip around every turn you made.

California was the birthplace of drag racing...Today though, you have too many assholes street racing and ruining it for those who take it to the track. They are shutting down tracks which doesnt help matters any. I lived 15 minutes from California speedway, now I live 1 1/2 hours away from the nearest track. It sucks.

MikeB_4G63
02-13-2011, 09:53 PM
CA is really to populated for any kind of street racing. Don't know why anyone would want to do it any where near town. Desert yeah but any where with in city limits is a big no no! Some of the roads in KY are prepped better for drag than Qualcomm. Lol.... Mexico has a few sweet places to drag at too.

andrewshowers
02-14-2011, 01:18 AM
The geforce ta kdw2 tires are awesome. I have been impressed and would recomend them to everyone for street/track use.

streetdsmpwr
02-17-2011, 11:12 PM
If you want reviews on street tires, just go to www.tirerack.com

Jmonet1620
02-18-2011, 05:47 AM
I love my Dunlop star spec tires. They got a good review from car and driver in a comparison they did so I decided to give them a try. I have not been disappointed at all.

K_Mans_TSI
02-18-2011, 06:40 AM
The problem with street tires is you're going to break stuff. Stiff unforgiving sidewalls are the worst thing to have for drag. This is also the reason people break stuff using ET Streets as well.