turbo oil line replacement [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: turbo oil line replacement

nvrplay2ty
04-27-2011, 08:19 AM
I have a 1995 an Talon w/ Big 16G turbo, cant find a replacement oil line locally. On EBAY most standard oil lines are listed as 1/8" is this line usable? The feed comes off the head not the oil filter housing.
Thanks for any and all replies

DSM4LIFE-AWD
04-27-2011, 08:54 AM
First you don't want to feed from the head on a 16g ... Too much low pressure and dirty oil ... Feed it from the oi filter housing with a -04 AN line. ExtremePSI sell a kit, it's the best kit out there so buy it and never look back ! :D

SLEEPS
04-27-2011, 09:02 AM
+1. The head is not a good option on this car when you have a perfect factory oil feed spot.

nvrplay2ty
04-27-2011, 09:11 AM
we just got the car, which is a work in progress for my son and I, and it was actually hooked up to the oil filter housing, but it would give a small puff of smoke out the exhaust on deceleration. the guy said to just move the oil line to the head. Which we did but found the oil line to be bad.
So should we move it back and put in a restrictor? Also is 1/8th the right size.
Thanks guys

DSM4LIFE-AWD
04-27-2011, 09:24 AM
I told you -04 size ... So it 4/16 = 1/4'' interior diametor, I use a -03 with no probleme at all. No need for a restrictor. Sounds like this turbo need a rebuild ?! Does it have any shaft play ?

nvrplay2ty
04-27-2011, 09:42 AM
sorry about not understanding the 04 size, we are new to this. The seller listed on his descripition of the car that the turbo, which has only about 10,000 miles on it, has no shaft play, how can I check for sure? We did run the car a bit after moving the line and it did stop smoking until the line started to leak.
Im leaning towards I might have to go choke the guy who sold it us the car
thanks for the help

nvrplay2ty
04-27-2011, 09:48 AM
the listings i see for a 4 AN line have 1/8" pipe connections, thats what i meant about the 1/8 inch, not the hose size

DSM4LIFE-AWD
04-27-2011, 09:59 AM
EBAY is not your friend MOST of the time. Go with Extreme-psi for a good line with all the adaptor you need. If the line got 1/8 NPT fitting well it's really near 1/4'' ... But all the lines I've got from ebay crack if you simply pry them a bit, really cheap stuff !

Now remove the intake pipe (the pipe from the KN to the turbo) and try to move the shaft in the turbo to see if you have up and down or side by side play ...

God luck and keep us update :)

SLEEPS
04-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Im leaning towards I might have to go choke the guy who sold it us the car
thanks for the help

Though that sounds like a good idea, youll soon find most of the DSM's out there have been boogered up by some yahoo internet super tech. And some regular folk as well, point being, research before you go do something someone that has little or no credability tells you to do. Even us, most if not everything we have done to our cars has been done before and can be found and seen all over this site here.

My suggestion.... take it out the head and put it back to the oil filter housing location and use a good shop like JNZ or any of our supporting venders, as DSM4LIFE-etc.. has said, and not EBAY.

Welcome to the world of DSM's. (and get out while you still can) :P

nvrplay2ty
04-27-2011, 03:07 PM
so there is endplay... both up and down and back and forth... Now what... can it be rebuilt? where can I get a kit and how much? good thing the seller is a few hours away or I might be on the news.

19GSX97
04-27-2011, 03:48 PM
See if you can find a turbo shop around your house to rebuild it. To have it rebuilt it will probably be around $400. If the wheel isn't damaged though it will be cheaper. You can get a brand new one from extreme psi for like $550 I believe. You might want to check that one for cracks and stuff before you have it rebuilt. I might hav been rebuilt a couple times and the housing has a bunch of cracks in it from heat.

Jusmx on tuners rebuilds them cheaper than pretty much any shop if your part of tuners you can message him.

NoHndlbrsRqrd
04-27-2011, 04:59 PM
From what I gathered the only problem is some smoke upon deceleration. What color is the smoke? I may be wrong here but if there is no shaft play in out or side to side than is it not more likely something other than the turbo?

JamesH
04-27-2011, 05:28 PM
^^ Reading > You

He just said it has in and out, and side to side play.

I feel your pain man. I got a turbo cheap off a guy I work with. Waited a few months before install and when I finally put it on the thing smoked BAD!!! I'm in the process of rebuilding mine as a substitute till I can get a new one.

As for a oil line replacement, feed off the filter housing and if the line is bad, goto any shop that does brakes and have them make you one. I made mine out of 3/16" brake line when I was bored at work one day.

NoHndlbrsRqrd
04-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Haha yeah I totally missed that. Nice.

Too bad about that turbo OP, but at least its a good excuse to get a new one that you know is in good shape.

nvrplay2ty
04-27-2011, 08:38 PM
We have another stock 95 that we were going to use a "parts" car, it has a nice stock turbo, can I just install that one on until we can get the other rebuilt? as long as we can get the exhaust pipe size to work? Thanks again guys
"the rookies"

NoHndlbrsRqrd
04-27-2011, 10:25 PM
You can switch the turbos but the stock t-25 does not use the Jpipe like the E316g does. You will need to switch the lower intercooler pipe as well. If you are on the stock sidemount it should be a direct switch.

nvrplay2ty
04-29-2011, 09:19 AM
so i can find the big 16g turbo anywhere from $170 on ebay to 600 at the race shop im just not really sure wat the difference is other than saving me alot of money is the ebay ones just cheaper made or wat? any ideas?

19GSX97
04-29-2011, 09:33 AM
They're junk. If your going to buy a new one buy a genuine MHI 16g. You can get them from most vendors on here. Jnz tuning, extreme psi, slowboy racing, forced, performance ect

If that t25 is in good shape just put that on until you can get yours rebuilt or get a new one.

AWD_XTC
05-04-2011, 03:44 PM
FP sells a line too, they also sell an inline filter. It's 70 bucks but it's cheaper than a new turbo and guarantees clean oil to the turbo.