Kelford Cams and Valve Springs [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Kelford Cams and Valve Springs

MacGSX
11-19-2011, 06:30 PM
This is not a "Is Kelford better than X Cam thread" I'm Looking for some new information. The forum seems to have information from 2-3 years ago but nothing recent.

I can't seem to find any solid information on the power band of the kelford 288/280 Cam? Obviously it's going to be able to handle a high revving motor but what are we talking here? 6-10k? And on the contrary, obviously low end is negatively affected. I'm worried that me shifting at a measly 8.5-9k RPM, I will not be taking advantage of the full power band.

Springs and Retainers. Obviously revving that high is out of the question on the stock valve springs/retainers. But what springs are getting the most use today with the best results? I'm running Crower Springs/ TI retainers with my HKS 272's but I'm thinking I'm at their limits, and with my intentions on moving to a Kelford cam, I'm debating on switching to either Kiggly or Kelford springs...

Lets keep this clean of "Why do you need such a large cam" or "These aren't streetable" posts... Just looking for operating information and specs...

Thanks

Jordan

ET93
11-19-2011, 06:36 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about Kiggly springs. I know they can handle revving at 11k too.

TylerLorenz
11-19-2011, 08:57 PM
I would go Kiggly, like ET93 said, I have heard nothing but GREAT things.

MacGSX
11-20-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't believe nobody has the information I'm looking for...

Bradikus7
11-20-2011, 03:29 PM
My brothers, uncles, cousin who had a daughter that was sleeping with her best friends dad who had a son said......

No sorry man, I don't have the info you are looking for as I have no real experience. I guess when your making power with the big dogs there isn't as much advice on things, people just try stuff to see what works. Personally I'm going to be going with the FERREA "BEEHIVE" VALVE SPRING KIT and call it a day. Plenty of good to be said about them and I don't plan on a 10k rev but supposedly they will handle that. Just a heads up, they are on Extremepsi's black friday sale. :D

Bradikus7
11-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Also as far as cams go, from my research it looks like the K272's are pretty aggressive like comparable to "other" brands 280's. I cannot imagine what a K288 would be like lol. Probably lose a lot of low end. I know you had HKS 272's, you should look into the Kelford 272's, they are not the same.

EDIT:Some decent info here from experience. (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/387215-delta-k272-impressions.html)

lilredeclipse
11-20-2011, 03:52 PM
I shift at 9200 still have plenty of power left up there. I don't have a little turbo and leave the line until about 7k but when the turbo drops boost and falls to 5k it comes back on hard with no struggle.

I also picked up 30whp and I'd say probably 500rpms sooner spool time over bc280s.

Not sure why you would have to ask about valve springs. You should be kicked in the nuts for that one!! :P

Gamble
11-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Kiggly springs all the way!

MacGSX
11-20-2011, 04:05 PM
LOL thanks Chris... You have what cams?

And I know Kiggly springs are amazing. I just wanted to see if anything else is being used today...

lilredeclipse
11-20-2011, 04:15 PM
I have the cams and valve springs you asked about :)

Bradikus7
11-20-2011, 06:06 PM
I have the cams and valve springs you asked about :)

Well there ya go!;)