What head gasket and cams to use? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: What head gasket and cams to use?

ttrawicki1
02-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Hey guys i'm curious as to what the best head gasket is to use on a 6 bolt motor with arp head studs? Also i'm wanting to run 272's for intake and exhaust cams. I know to stay away from brian crower cams. What brand do you think is the best to run on my motor with a mitsu 20g? my mods are mitsu 20g turbo, 6an fuel lines, wally 255, 1000 cc injectors, Fmic, E85, tuned on megasquirt, AEM tru time cam gears, 3"tbe, act2600 with street disc, act street lite flywheel, aeromotive fpr. I'm running 15 psi now and am wanting to put a new head gasket and arp head studs in and crank the boost up some. So i figured i wanna do cams at the same time. I am on all stock internals. Thanks guys.

gdmbat85
02-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Stock internals, go with stock composite headgasket. Composite is good for 30psi boost, and I'd say somewhere in the 400-450hp range. You don't need a metal gasket, and only risk better chances of it not sealing if you go with one.

Cam selection wise, I'd say HKS or Kelford.

QWKLIL4
02-05-2012, 11:56 AM
A good HKS 272 set will wake everything up. And you can actually leave the stock HG/head bolts in there for now. No need to do extra work if you don't have to.

biddy98gst
02-05-2012, 02:45 PM
I used a felpro permatorque on mine. I have had no problems its in between a composite and mls no resurfacing needed.

ttrawicki1
02-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Ok well the reason i asked is HKS cams are pricey compared to other brands. Price isn't an issue as long as there good. As for the stock head gasket / head bolts I thought that anything over 15lbs on my 20g would put me at high risk for my head gasket blowing out? I was thinking about cranking the boost up to 21 pounds and just wanna make sure the head stays in its place nice and tight. A reputable dsm shop told me to run 25 pounds but that seems high for stock internals doesn't it?

ttrawicki1
02-05-2012, 02:48 PM
The Felpro permatorque is the stage up from auto stores correct?

issac712
02-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I feel dks 272s are the same and cheaper than hks cams, and as for a hg, u should be fine with a oem headgasket

biddy98gst
02-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Yes the permatorque is not a over the counter at a part store. It is about $90 and us a mls gaskets with a rubberized sealing surface so it requires no block decking to use. I wanted mls but did not want to pull my motor. I was just upgrading while doing the timing.

MuffinMan7580
02-06-2012, 09:34 AM
As for the stock head gasket / head bolts I thought that anything over 15lbs on my 20g would put me at high risk for my head gasket blowing out? I was thinking about cranking the boost up to 21 pounds and just wanna make sure the head stays in its place nice and tight. A reputable dsm shop told me to run 25 pounds but that seems high for stock internals doesn't it?

No. Stock internals are fairly strong, and is all most people will ever need. The stock head bolts are comparable to standard ARP studs (for 6-bolt blocks). Composite head gasket will work fine for a 20g.

Blurred Talon
02-06-2012, 09:40 AM
I've got HKS 272s and love them, wouldn't run anything else. Really woke the car up plus gave it a bad ass idle lope.

I've got a OEM composite and standard ARPs on my car.

cupa-joe
02-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Depending on the cam choice you may need to get new valvetrain, but if you don't plan on revving past 7500rpm's I'd say get some FP2 cams. They are comparable to hks 272's and don't require upgraded valvetrain. As far as the Hg goes I agree with the OEM composite as thats all I'm going to run.

ttrawicki1
02-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks a lot guys. So last question is on the head gasket if i use the oem one will i need re surfacing? I'm gonna check into the fp2 cams but i was kinda stuck on the kelford cams. They sound like really good cams.

gdmbat85
02-06-2012, 08:35 PM
I don't know how people say you will or won't need a resurface, especially when you're converting over to a MLS based headgasket. It all depends on how badly it's warped. With that said, chances are you won't need a resurfacing. The oem composite is very forgiving since it's material is like the lead exhaust gaskets, and you don't seem to have an issue with it now. It wouldn't hurt though to grab a machinists straight edge and feeler gauge and check. There's a double bonus in doing this since if you're head surface is warped, your cam journals might also be out of line, and you could risk destroying your brand new cams.

Comparing FP to kelford to HKS is like trying to compare Extremepsi to JNZ. They're all awesome, and you can't go wrong choosing between anyone.

ttrawicki1
02-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Well thanks for the info. I'll just have to make sure i do this right and take my time. I can't wait to get all this done.

issac712
02-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks a lot guys. So last question is on the head gasket if i use the oem one will i need re surfacing? I'm gonna check into the fp2 cams but i was kinda stuck on the kelford cams. They sound like really good cams.

If its not level it won't seal right mls or not. But my opinion is as long as your block is cleaned, and the old gasket material or rust is gone then you should be ok with a oem one.

i used oil and those S.O.S. dish pads, they work pretty good.