Stainless Steel Clutch Line [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Stainless Steel Clutch Line

S_rangeBrew
08-27-2001, 12:41 PM
I just put in the RRE SS Clutch line in my '96 2G AWD w/ACT2100 clutch.

It gets rid of that small "buffer" tank that is attached to the front of the tranny.

I've heard people say they can't figure out what that tank is for. After putting in the line, it' pretty obvious:
I can feel the vibrations of the tranny through the clutch pedal now. I can actually *feel* the friction disk engaging with the flywheel & pressure plate now through my foot. The "buffer" tank had totally muffled these vibrations.

It makes you more *connected* to the car. It's called *feedback* I like it. Most people buying a car would not. But if your reading this, your probably not "most people".

Consumer Reports would call it *harsh* and *unrefined* then they would say "buy a Camry"

Camry's are Boring. My Grandma drives a Camry.

Anyway. It's a good mod. Don't know if it actually helps, but it feels good! ;)

You have to add fluid and bleed the clutch line, of course.

See http://www.roadraceengineering.com for install instructions.

deyes
08-27-2001, 04:44 PM
I recently put in a C.A.P. mfg. high performance clutch kit
(clutch disc, pressure plate, throw bearing) it has 30% more clamping force than stock for only $200. In any case they sent a prinout with some tips for dsm cars clutch installation. They recomended bypassing what they called a slave cylinder to "increase driver feadback" sounded great but the mechanic wanted extra$ to do this so I passed. Sound like I should have done it. Maybe I'll get the steel braided line like you, where did you get it and how much?
In case anyone was interested the stock replacement clutch kit was only $100 bucks. The performance clutch kit was a good buy. The clucth feals slightly stiffer but when I release the cluch it just grabs, it doesnt slip in the least. Its a great buy if you dont have the feds for an act.

turbo90awd
08-27-2001, 07:24 PM
On the 97 Tsi AWD I had, I had the ACT 2600, it was very shaky with the rubber line. Once I changed to the RRE line it changed everything, including the height at which the pedal would engage the clutch. The line is great, however you may want to remove the fluid restrictor that is stuck inside the slave cylinder. It is there to prevent fluid from moving to fast through the line and can cause the car to buck when starting out in first at a low RPM. My pedal grabbed very low when the clutch went it, but was to low for "slipping" the clutch. I adjusted mine for right in the middle, so when I launched I could put the strain on the clutch instead of the tranny or rear.

Brett.

3312DC
08-28-2001, 08:04 PM
deyes, can you give me more info on that clutch, and where you got it? would have emailed you but you dont have it registered

NINJA7
08-29-2001, 02:17 PM
This is intersting...keep it going guys...
let me ask this to clearify somthing here. Does the SS clutch line replace the slave cyl on the front of the trans...

MoBoost
08-29-2001, 04:12 PM
I have it on my 90 AWD with ACT2600. Great upgrade (especially after I've heard of two of those lines expoling).
On 1G it is very short (8" or so) replacing just the rubber part. On 2G it also eliminates the restrictor/reservuar.

deyes
08-30-2001, 12:55 AM
3312DC,
I love the clutch, I have only had it for 500mi now but the grab is very noticeable. Clutch pressure remains like stock like the 2100 but it grabs like the stock one never did. I bought it from C.A.P. Clutch Mfg. Do a search on them you should find their website quickly. At first I thought that it might have been a second rate replacement because of the packaging (kinda cheap looking) but after it was installed and after about 300mi of break in I was pulling out after my brother in laws Corrado G60 and I dumped it it didnt slip like the stock one (which was still good when I replaced it) it just grabbed and took off. They sell a stock clutch replacement for $89 and after I looked at my credit card balance sheet the clutch, throw bearing, and 30% more clamping force pressure plate all costed me a total of $189.99 and came with a sheet that suggested the slave cylinder removal mod and some other 1g suggestions. They by the way sold 1g clutches for the same price. Their prices are so good because you get it direct from the factory. Sorry such a long post but I wanted to get all the detaols in.

S_rangeBrew
08-30-2001, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by NINJA7
This is intersting...keep it going guys...
let me ask this to clearify somthing here. Does the SS clutch line replace the slave cyl on the front of the trans...

Heh Heh. No, it just replaces the small tank that is on the front of the 2G tranny, just before the slave cyl. As MoBoost pointed out, the 1G version just replaces the rubber line, and is shorter.

I think when deyes says "slave cyl removal" this is what he means, if you actually removed the slave cyl, your clutch wouldn't work! ;)

deyes
08-30-2001, 09:28 PM
I was under the impression that there is a master cylinder and slave cylinder, the "slave cylinder" is the "small tank" that you are reffering to. The purpose of the slave cylinder as I understand to eliminate the "harsh" feel of the clutch engaging, thereby reducing driver feedback (in my most serious voice). The tip sheet that came with my clutch suggested that you bypass, in other words remove this small tank. Obviously when you do this you will have to replace it with a longer clutch line, what better to improve driver feedback (the point of this mod) than to use a steel braided clutch line?

MoBoost
08-30-2001, 10:34 PM
Slave cylinder is a slave cylinder, no cylinder no clutch.

NINJA7
08-31-2001, 06:22 AM
Thanks for clearing that up guys:D because I wish there was a kit that would remove of revise the slave cyl...its a pain. I memo threads where ppl replace almost everything to do with shifting and still had poor result in shifting. Well anyway...(sigh) I still have to replace my clutch fork so all this info is right on par!

3312DC
08-31-2001, 11:37 AM
Has anyone removed the hydralic system for the clutch on a dsm? Just used a cable like some other cars? (only slightly off topic)

$Big Pimpin$
09-12-2001, 08:30 PM
deyes I toasted my clutch and throw out bearing today. I was gonna get the ACT 2600 but it costs alot and then I heard of this clutch you got. Do you think that I should get this if I dont want to spend the money for an ACT but still want a better clutch?