Chat? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Chat?

Quatney
11-20-2000, 11:42 PM
I am sorry if this has been asked before or if there is already a solution but I was wondering about a chat room. I live in the middle of no where and I don't get to meet any other DSMers. It would be nice to be able to chat with some of ya'll. Just throwing out an idea.

WhoaTed
11-21-2000, 02:31 AM
That's a possibility... there's other things that need to be completed with the site first. There's pros and cons for chat.
Pros:
-Fun
-Builds on the sense of "community" we have here in the forums
Cons:
-Typically under-utilized - it tends to go unused at most sites that have it.
-Difficult to provide good service - it is usually a slow and cumbersome feature.
-Difficult to moderate.
I can think of a few more cons, but I won't bore you :) I am not saying it won't happen - we'll look at the *possibility* for maybe early 2001 (whoa-which is pretty damn close). :) Thanks for the suggestion.

4G63Rydah
11-21-2000, 06:32 PM
Well you guys already have the "AIM screen name:" and the "Yahoo Chat screen name:" sections in the profile already. I know that it's relatively new so some of the "old timers" :) might not know about it. I just found out about it myself the other day. We can post something in the lounge tellin everyone to put their screen name in their profile if they have one. That way we can chat with each other and you guys don't have to do anything extra on the site.....

WhoaTed
11-21-2000, 07:28 PM
Yeah thats true 4G63Rydah, anyone can organize some IM usage by posting in the lounge if they want to.

BTW, the next version of this message board, due in December hopefully, lists "Private Messaging" and "Buddy List" as two if its new features. There's no description as to what they do... lets see, maybe those features might resemble chat...

Stephen
11-22-2000, 12:29 AM
a chatroom would definately be a good thing

slipspeed
11-22-2000, 01:38 AM
I like the idea of the PM thing. I would like to be able to see who's on the boards when I am. If it's someone I want to talk to quickly a PM option would be awesome. BTW...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ALL YOU MODERATORS!

This is a great board and I literally stop people at gas stations, parking lots etc. etc. to tell them about it!

Thanks.

WhoaTed
11-22-2000, 04:45 AM
I would like to be able to see who's on the boards when I am.That feature is there now. Just look at the bottom of the main forums page. :)

This is a great board and I literally stop people at gas stations, parking lots etc. etc. to tell them about it!
Now that's a quote! :) Thanks!

Quatney
11-22-2000, 12:56 PM
I forgot about the AIM thing. When I see some of ya'll on the board I'll shoot you a message if you have AIM. Thanks, for the reminder, and good work moderators. This place rules especially for us stuck out in a cow pastrue.

FastFWD
11-22-2000, 10:44 PM
Okay, forgive me, I know this is probably a stupid question, but what is AIM?

WhoaTed
11-22-2000, 10:48 PM
AOL Instant Messenger :)

FastFWD
11-24-2000, 01:26 AM
Ahhhh...that explains it all. AOL scares me, so that's why I don't have AIM. I do, however, use that MSN messenger thingy. (Not that Microsoft is any better than AOL)