problem with brakes.... brake booster? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: problem with brakes.... brake booster?

Josh90TSI
11-26-2001, 03:25 PM
I drove my car to get some parts at a salvage yard today, and I noticed for the first time that sometimes the brake pedal feels real mushy, almost like I have no brakes. But the odd thing is it doesn't do it all the time. If it feels mushy and I let the pedal out and push it back in, it feels fine. When we got to the yard, I popped the hood, checked my fluid and it is fine. I checked by each wheel for leaks... none. I did notice that the ends of the hoses that go to the fluid resevoir look damp, like I might be losing fluid there. But I don't think that is my problem. My bro says it could be my vacuum line to the booster, the booster itself, or the master cylinder. He told me to check all my hoses for cracks or holes, so I'm gonna do that tomorrow. What do you guys think it could be? Oh yeah all the pads have been replaced, the rear rotors and calipers have been replaced. Thanks

Josh90tsi

[Edited by Josh90TSI on 11-26-2001 at 05:29 PM]

Pudrowtalon97
11-27-2001, 10:42 AM
not sure if it is your brake booster. A while back i drill a hole in mine, not on purpose, and the results of a bad brake booster are VERY choppy idle, I had a very hard time keeping the car going, and the brakes wern't mooshy, they were almost impossible. I had to put all my weight into the pedal just to slow down. So it doesn't sound like your brake booster. Check what your brother said, you might have a little leak somewhere.

Traviž

Josh90TSI
11-27-2001, 10:45 AM
Anybody got any ideas?? Any help is appreciated...

Josh

Josh90TSI
11-29-2001, 06:48 PM
bump... I hope someone on here can help me out

GSXguy
11-30-2001, 05:28 AM
brake booster might make a hissing sound if its leaking and it will be harder to brake.

my guess is the master cyl.

Michael
11-30-2001, 06:51 AM
Sounds like you have air in the lines to me.

Josh90TSI
11-30-2001, 07:57 AM
Thanks guys for the suggestions.. I haven't had time to fix my problem, and I figured I'd try to get some opinions on what it might be. I'm gonna work on it tomorrow and I'll probably start with bleeding the brakes. Hopefully that will take care of it. I'm also gonna replace to two hoses that go from the fluid resevior to the master cylinder, because the ends of them are covered in brake fluid....not sure whats goin on there. Thanks again.

Josh

JDawgGotBoost
12-01-2001, 07:14 AM
braking systems use a LOT of pressure...you said your brake hose's were damp? if you're losing fluid there and you're losing pressure, then that may also be the cause. It's probably worth it to buy new brake hose's, they're like $12 each, because if they are leaking then they will blow at any time. Over 1,000 LB. of pressure go through there so the tiniest hole can easily be exposed.