rre lightened flywheel [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: rre lightened flywheel

dsmawdturbo
01-04-2002, 03:28 PM
Yea i know it's been discussed a fair amount. I was wondering though how the guys with a rre lightened flywheel like it. Im awd so.... I wanna hear from some awd guys if it bogs real bad. I just ordered it with a act2600, but anyways i need some input.

Tevenor
01-04-2002, 03:42 PM
I had a lightened one on my 6-bolt than had to switch cranks so I took it off. I miss it terribly. Thank god I am buying a Fidanza in the spring. :)

99mmcgsx
01-04-2002, 03:44 PM
Its definately like starting on a hill....like it bogs a little bit, but you get used to it in a couple weeks no problem and you don't bog anymore. Just requires a little bit more gas off the line. Also, I have a hard time doing the sneaky drag race thing where you dont really rev it up, you just kind of slip the clutch off the line and smoke somebody....not like a lot of people do it anyways, but my point is that you really need to get the rpms up or you'll bog the launch....makes it pretty obvious to people that you are about to take off. BUT, having said that, the motor is great for things like heel toe and regular downshifting...blipping the throttle gets the revs up super quick for downshifts. I didnt notice any gains in the 1/4, just really noticed it when downshifting and launching.
J

ProjectGSX
01-04-2002, 03:55 PM
There are a lot of mods that require you to change your driving style afterwards.

With a lightened flywheel, you need to give it more gas than before when you let the clutch out - that's all. If you don't, you bog.

I have the lightened RRE flywheel, and it is not a big deal to drive with. My GF has the Fidanaza flywheel, and driving with it is not a big deal either. Just have to remember to give it a little more gas than in my car.

AWD Terror
01-04-2002, 04:12 PM
So the real benefits of a lighter flywheel then are ...? Having read your combined experiences, I only see a change in downshifting method but no gains?

Tevenor
01-04-2002, 04:26 PM
1) Quicker revs for downshift/upshift
2) More power transferred to the wheels because of rotational momentum.

ProjectGSX
01-04-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by AWD Terror
So the real benefits of a lighter flywheel then are ...? Having read your combined experiences, I only see a change in downshifting method but no gains?

Less rotational mass means less parasitic loss of horsepower through the drive train. Plus, the engine rev's faster, which means the turbo spools faster and you recover from bogging better.

It's a no brainer if you ask me. If something spins, you want it to be lighter.

dsmawdturbo
01-05-2002, 01:59 PM
yea thanks alot i appreciate all the input.

97GSTspyder
01-06-2002, 07:59 AM
I want to get a lightened flywheel too. Which is better? the one from RRE or the Fidanza? And where is the best place to order from? thanks!

99mmcgsx
01-06-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by 97GSTspyder
I want to get a lightened flywheel too. Which is better? the one from RRE or the Fidanza? And where is the best place to order from? thanks!

The current feeling seems to be that lightened stock flywheels are a bit more dangerous than machined new ones like the fidanza. There is a possibility with an overly lightenend/machined-wrong flywheel that it could explode which is not a good thing. BUT, they are cheaper, and i havent heard of any problems with the rre one....I think rre leaves enough of the original flywheel so things dont get dangerous.
Personally I wouldnt go lighter than the rre one for daily driving, but its really personal preference....
J

eto
01-07-2002, 01:05 AM
Lighter flywheels have more effect in lower gears, they don't do much for overall power in the higher gears.

Here is some interesting info though.
http://www.rr-racing.com/flywheels.htm

larryd
01-07-2002, 01:17 AM
out of curiosity can a lightened flywheel be resurfaced when you get a new clutch like your stock flywheel is?

Larse
01-07-2002, 01:22 AM
I'm curious on ACT's clutches. This is OT, but I wanted some helpful input. I plan on installing a "Big" 16G a Big GReddy FMIC. I'm a daily driver; we don't have strips were I live. I won't launch hard most of the time, maybe some street action once in a while. A 2100 would be right for me, wouldn't it??? I heard you need a steel left leg for the 2600 and its mainly for drag runs...Opinions??

dsmawdturbo
01-07-2002, 03:20 PM
larse id get the 2600. Its more worth it in the end especially if your awd. Thats what im getting i heard it just takes getting used too.

larryd
01-08-2002, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by larryd
out of curiosity can a lightened flywheel be resurfaced when you get a new clutch like your stock flywheel is?

anyone??

Tevenor
01-08-2002, 08:57 AM
most aluminum flywheels have a friction surface that is replaceable therefore no machining to get the right step. You just need to replace the friction surface.

ProjectGSX
01-08-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by larryd
anyone??

Trevenor is right about the aluminum flywheels. Not sure about the lightened stock flywheel from RRE. I would email them and ask. Say you are considering buying their product and what to know if it can be resurfaced, etc.

larryd
01-09-2002, 12:39 AM
thanks..ill keep that in mind when the time comes..

SpicyTuna
01-09-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by ProjectGSX
My GF has the Fidanaza flywheel, and driving with it is not a big deal either. Just have to remember to give it a little more gas than in my car.

How is say parking lot driving with the fidanaza?? I have heard of people complaining.....

Tevenor
01-09-2002, 07:54 AM
WHen you lighten a flywheel, you take material out of the 'backside' of a the flywheel. You don't touch the friction surface. So from the surface side, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference from the lightened one and the stocker. If you can, don't use it.

ProjectGSX
01-09-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by SpicyTuna
How is say parking lot driving with the fidanaza?? I have heard of people complaining.....

I wouldn't say it is BAD just different.

The fidanza requires more gas because it has less mass for momentum. It spins up faster, but it will spin down faster too.. so if you aren't giving it gas as it engages, it will stall.

But that isn't a problem really, you just have to adjust your driving style. I can go from my heavy-ass 2600 with lightened stock flywheel to her no-resistance-at-all centerforce with fidanza flywheel with no problems at all. Just takes a minute or two to remember her clutch grabs higher off the floor and it takes a little more gas.

The only time it bothers me is in stop and go traffic. With the 2600/RRE set up I can roll in 1st as low as 650 RPMs without the car shuddering. With her car, I can't roll lower than 800 RPMs.

Still, HARDLY a big deal in comparison to the power gain.

And of course, now that I have the cams, I can't roll in my car lower than 1200 RPMs anyways. :D

NeEmo6
01-09-2002, 01:57 PM
Project GSX

Im on a tight budget but dont know if i should wait till i have the money for a pricey fidanza flywheel or is the rre one good for the price? And since you have experience w/ both the rre and fidanza flywheel what do you recommend?? Also is there a big difference performance wise??

SpicyTuna
01-09-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by ProjectGSX

But that isn't a problem really, you just have to adjust your driving style. I can go from my heavy-ass 2600 with lightened stock flywheel to her no-resistance-at-all centerforce with fidanza flywheel with no problems at all. Just takes a minute or two to remember her clutch grabs higher off the floor and it takes a little more gas.

Thanks Brian, that settles it, I am going to go with a fidanza - or maybe a Jun. I was just a little worried about going so light vs. a lightened stocker.