???? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: ????

greenstreak
12-26-2000, 10:55 PM
I am not sure what is going on here. I just made 3 posts in one of the forums and when I refreshed the page all of my responses were gone but my post count was still accurate. When I went to repost the same answer my previous post came back again. Now I refreshed the whole thing and both posts are gone again. I am not sure what is going on.

WhoaTed
12-26-2000, 11:04 PM
Your ISP is probably caching (sp?) your page calls. You use AOL right?

WhoaTed
12-26-2000, 11:11 PM
I emailed this to you but realized you might not see it right away so here it is.... :)

99% of the time this is the fault of a user's ISP and has nothing to do with the website. If you are using AOL that is almost certainly the problem. Because they can't handle their own customer's traffic, or sometimes becuase of a malfunction, they give you a recent call you made to that url (from their own storage), instead of actually going to the DSMtalk.com server, or whatever other server you are trying to reach. This gives the illusion to their customers of serving page calls faster, but in the case of bulletin boasrds such as DSMtalk.com... it is a major problem. Happened to me on AOL frequently, which is one of the reasons I stopped using it. If you can, access the site from a different (non-AOL) isp and let me know if it still happens.

(BTW - I think the same thing used to happed to gsxalex after he moved to SanDiego... and I think he was on AOL too.)

[Edited by WhoaTed on 12-27-2000 at 01:13 AM]

dsm93talon
12-27-2000, 08:23 AM
I have both an aol account and a "normal" ISP, AOL sucks with this board, it is AOL. the regular ISP NEVER does that to me.

greenstreak
12-28-2000, 12:18 AM
I found out my ISP stopped using proxy servers but failed to notify me so I could change my settings. The whole time the page was coming up from my cache so it was an old version. I finally figured out what was going on and fixed it so it is all good now. Thanks for the help guys it got me looking in the right direction.

MoBoost
12-28-2000, 01:24 PM
greenstreak> Yeah, I've seen a couple of times your "double posts" ... you might edit it ... there is one "DSM beauty contest"

AWDMIKE858
12-29-2000, 10:41 PM
Hey greenstreak? Was that you that had 5 posts in a row one time? HAhahaha then someone followed up with something like "Trying to pad your post lead greenstreak?" Heh that was funny.

Who is from Wiscaanson?

greenstreak
12-30-2000, 11:12 PM
Haha, yeah that was me. :D It wasn't on purpose though...No really it wasn't. I bought a cheap computer for myself for $400 new and it is just a pos. Nothing but weird problems and that multiple post was one of my problems at the time. Oh well. I think I cleaned up my double posts but if anyone sees one I missed let me know.