Remote wire from deck to amp? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Remote wire from deck to amp?

TaLoNBLiNGBLiNG
03-06-2002, 12:59 AM
I started installing a 500W Alpine amp and 2 12 inch Pioneer 400W subs. Is it necessary to connect the remote wire behind the deck (blue and white wire) to the "remote" slot of the amp? I've heard that if you connect the remote wire from the deck to the amp, it acts like a power antenna and therefore shuts off the amp when ignition is turned off. Is that true? If so, what guage wire should I use?

Rice_Rocket
03-06-2002, 07:35 AM
Well if you do not connect it, where are you going to get the remote from? :)

Yes you should connect it, as a lot of amps use this signal as a "turn on" switch. It does not matter what gauge (usually they just use a smallllllll wire) Only because it's like a switch on/off, and does not affect performance etc.

Only, and only if you are lucky, some amps use an RCA signal to "turn on" and I guess you would not have to hook up the rca cable... but if you're running the cabling anyways.. then why not?

On another note, try not to run the power and rca's together, if you're running major sound then it will cause a nasty buzzing sound :(

Just hook it up! :P

TaLoNBLiNGBLiNG
03-06-2002, 09:31 AM
I have the RCA hooked up from the deck to the amp, just need something to turn off the amp when I shut the ignition off. Gotta run to Home Depot or something for a wire to run to the remote so I can hook that bitch up and see how it sounds. Thanks man.

TaLoNBLiNGBLiNG
03-06-2002, 12:47 PM
HELP!!

I bought regular speaker wire from Home Depot (dual 24 guage). Hooked it up to the remote wire and the sum bitch wont power on! Everything is hooked up, ground, battery, speakers, rca, everthing. The thing is i only used half of the dual speaker wire from the remote (12 guage now). If anyone can help I'd appreciate it :)

saucy91gsx
03-06-2002, 01:16 PM
check the amp rem wire with a voltage tester when the head unit is on. should have + voltage. some head units have a fuse on amp rem line, check that. if your getting power then turn it all on with volume low and at the amp jump a wire from +12 over to the amp rem input. should power up. if it does and your deck was putting out + voltage on amp rem line then its the wire you ran.

TaLoNBLiNGBLiNG
03-06-2002, 01:38 PM
What guage does the remote wire need to be? I tried running the dual 24 guage and that didn't work. I'm left with just one side of that 24 guage speaker wire that I used in the first place to run the remote to the amp. I don't really know much about amps and stuff. Gotta find someone with a voltage tester because once everything is hooked up, no power. Think I might have the rca input/output crossed? There is a red plug and a black plug on the wires, but a red inlet and a white inlet. I ran red to red and black to white on both the deck and the amp. Would this have something to do with the power?

GS-T
03-06-2002, 01:52 PM
Try to jump a wire over from the positive input of the amp (wire from battery). If it comes on, then the remote wire isn't powering the amp to come on.

TaLoNBLiNGBLiNG
03-06-2002, 02:02 PM
I jumped the wire from the battery to the power supply (remote) slot in the amp and still no power. Damn this sucks.

jankovig
03-06-2002, 03:18 PM
check the grounding on the amp. Find a good quality multimeter that has a continuity check on it (it gives you a beep sound when you touch the leads together). Now touch one lead of the meter (doesn't matter either black or red lead) to where you grounded the amp and take the second lead and touch the metal surface on another part of the car. If you get a continuous beeping sound then you have a good ground, if not try relocating your amp ground somewhere else.
Also check the fuses on the amp.

GS-T
03-06-2002, 03:23 PM
Well then it is one of a few possible things. Either your amp isn't gettting power (blown fuse at the battery or on amp, wire cut in half somewhere, or not connected to the battery), isn't getting a ground (did you scrape the paint off wherever you grounded it? did you ground it to metal?), or your amp is toast. The easiest way would be to get a multi-meter. You can find them really cheap at auto stores. It doesn't have to be a nice one. No more than $10.

GS-T
03-06-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by jankovig
check the grounding on the amp. Find a good quality multimeter that has a continuity check on it (it gives you a beep sound when you touch the leads together). Now touch one lead of the meter (doesn't matter either black or red lead) to where you grounded the amp and take the second lead and touch the metal surface on another part of the car. If you get a continuous beeping sound then you have a good ground, if not try relocating your amp ground somewhere else.
Also check the fuses on the amp.

Beat me to it.
And no, the RCA wouldn't have anything to do with it, unless you put a screw through it somewhere and is causing the amp to go into protection. Same goes for the speaker wires.

Does your amp have a power light on it, or are you just not hearing any noise from the speakers?

dsmjohn
03-06-2002, 05:27 PM
I remember you saying that you have a Pioneer Super TUner III. If I were you, I would not try to use the remote wire off the back of the deck, I would hook it up to the red ignition wire. The Pioneer's are notorious for having a faulty remote turn on circuit. In fact, I have only seen one STIII that the turn on worked! This is definately NOT the problem you are dealing with now, but may help in the future:D
Check your ground out and make sure that you did not use one of the screws that goes into a plastic insert. I have seen this mistake before.

TaLoNBLiNGBLiNG
03-07-2002, 12:24 AM
Update:

It works! The fusebox on the battery wire didn't even have a fuse in it. I just assumed my bro had put one in it when he gave me the kit. Put in the fuse, but blew it right away, so I got another 30A fuse and hooked everything up once again and, voila, it worked. Power light lighted up green meaning it worked. turned off accessory switch and amp powered off. Remote wire worked! Hooked up the speakers, Right side works, but that's ok for now cuz the left speaker connection wasn't tight enough and is just not getting the power to it. I can deal with that tomorrow. Finally glad I got this amp trouble out of the way. Thanks everyone for your help. BTW, the remote wire on the Super Tuner III works just dandy. No light = no power when ignition is turned off. :) Bumps pretty good. gotta play with the gain when i get the other hooked up. Just too tired to mess with that right now. I got plenty of time tomorrow before work to do that stuff. Thanks again :) :) :)

RippinGSX
03-07-2002, 12:22 PM
Don't go turning those gains up anything past 1/2 which is too much IMO ecspecially if your not familiar with the equipment you are running. What pre-amp voltage does your deck put out and what is the range of the input on the amp. You need to know both of these things in order to properly set your gains. For the record, the gains on all 3 of my amps are at just about minimum because my deck puts out 4 volts pre-amp. If you have a deck that puts out say only 1/2 volt then you would need to increase the gains to get the full potential of the amp. If you have any questions about this ask away.

riponGSX
03-07-2002, 05:10 PM
Listen to the RIPPIN, He is wise like Yoda.:D And you should be careful when setting gains if you have not done it before. Everyone tries to just crank them up, and they wonder why they blew every speaker in there car in 2 days.:confused: Also do not use that bass EQ crap on that Pioneer that is the King of sub blowers.

RiponGSX,
:beer:

TaLoNBLiNGBLiNG
03-07-2002, 11:48 PM
I have the bass EQ on my Pioneer deck at like +2 low. I don't know much about the gain dial on it so i haven't even touched it yet. I think it's at a little past halfway already when i bought it off a friend. I think the pre-amp voltage is 2.2 amps and the deck is 45W X 4. Any ideas on what to set the gain at cuz I'll have the other speaker working tomorrow morning (just figured out what was wrong with the sub. bad connection. doh! :) ).

RippinGSX
03-08-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by riponGSX
Listen to the RIPPIN, He is wise like Yoda.:D And you should be careful when setting gains if you have not done it before. Everyone tries to just crank them up, and they wonder why they blew every speaker in there car in 2 days.:confused: Also do not use that bass EQ crap on that Pioneer that is the King of sub blowers.

RiponGSX,
:beer:
LOL!! Wise like Yoda. Wise man say....Thanx:D:D