dejon tools 3" intake for 1g [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: dejon tools 3" intake for 1g

mark93
01-12-2001, 08:03 PM
http://users.erinet.com/40666/DSM-IPS.htm

Does anyone have this 3" intake on their 1g and how well does it perform? The cip3a.. thanks

slickseth
01-12-2001, 08:10 PM
A bunch of us have made our own versions of this intake with great results. I actually made mine out of PVC and ABS with great performance results. The main restriction that it gets rid of is the bottleneck right before the compressor inlet.
This mod gained me a ton of low end power plus plenty of mid range and it feels like a little top end too. Of course a dyno result would be more truthful.
The Dejon intake is worth the money, but you may consider making your own out of metal or plastic. Mine cost like $15 to make, and took me about an hour.

mark93
01-12-2001, 08:23 PM
I think i read that somwhere even downloaded the intructions.. the only difference i noticed was the extra filter intake on the one from dejon. But i may just save some money and try making my own.
Thanks!

slickseth
01-12-2001, 09:20 PM
That extra filter allows something like 30% extra airflow into the intake. A stock DSM wont run with that much of an un metered leak. You would have to have an AFC in order to make use of that. In any case, that would be a cheap thing to reproduce on a homemade intake if you use your imagination. My favorite mods are the ones that I can fabricate myself (Intake pipe, MBC, soon to be 3" exhaust)

91eclipsegsx16boy
01-14-2001, 12:30 PM
wait wait, so the intake would be a bad thing without a AFC. dammit, it all comes down to an AFC!

utrkos
01-15-2001, 08:18 AM
Any hard pipe that eliminates that accordian style rubber
hose is an upgrade! This pipes reminds me of the INJEN
intake pipe. A nice looking pipe but if you want fuction
over form then RRE has a 3" pipe that you cut off a section
off the rubber piece and bolt it on for cheap $45.00.
Good luck.

Gruss
01-21-2001, 09:16 PM
It is metal the extra pipe's are welded, it is also powdercoated. It just looks better and that was worth the difference in my mind. Secondly, I have an AFc and 660cc injectors, and the T3/T4 turbo. So I could really benifit (read need) the extra K&N filter add-on. If you don't want the K&N I think it is $30 dollars cheaper.
The cost for you to make one:
Pipe : $45
6" of rubber coulpler: $10
4 3" clamps: $6
1 1"x6" pipe: $5
Paint: $3
Total: $69 and you still have to weld it and size to fit it. (worth the $20 to me)

Add the K&N and parts and you are again at like $28.

This means to me it is at a very reasonable price for what it is. I don't know how you come to $15 for the homeade job as the rubber couplers and clamps alone cost that much.... enlighten me.

Also on the asethitcs of the looks and quality:
You can also make your UIP from plastic as well if you wanted to save money. The plastic UIP can crack and leak at higher heats and pressures.
Use the aquarium bleeder valve for boost control. The boost control can fail and is not as effective as a ball and spring, and varies more from temperature changes.
You can get a 2.5" non-mendrel bent exhausts and save money. But it still won't flow as good as a mendrel bent one.
I think with the homemade version you still have sharp edge connections in there to mess up flow, instead of one smooth pipe. Granted like all the above it is better and a solution to than the stock system. But still not as good as the resonablly priced performance part.

I also think of it this way, when you blow past someone and they say "man what you got in there" instead of just telling them let them check out how nice it all looks, impressing them of the DSM even more.

I'm not trying to say your homemade job is crap, because it is not crap, it is much better than the stocker and very affordable. Just reminding you to keep in mind what other benifits the actual performance part offers.

slickseth
01-22-2001, 07:57 PM
Everyones got their opinion. The whole reason we are all excited about this is because it falls under the category of a fee mod (basically). Its easy HP for cheap, and its fun to make stuff yourself. A metal tube with no interior restrictions would be the next best thing. I dont have $70 bucks for a prefab metal intake, I do , however have $15 for the plastic homemade one that flows 98% as well. Im fine with it. I also made my MBC with ball and spring design for under $15 bucks. However, I wouldnt dream of making a UIC out of abs and plumbing fittings because they may not be able to hold up to the pressure, if I can make them for cheap out of metal and silicon fittings, I would much rather do that than buy someone elses for the same price.
There is nothing wrong with the DSE homemade intake. It may not flow as well as the expensive one, but its also alot cheaper.