Loud creaking noise while turning steering wheel [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Loud creaking noise while turning steering wheel

99mmcgsx
05-21-2002, 08:53 AM
At low speeds, like when I'm backing out of a parking spot or going over a speed bump, and I turn the wheel, I get a loud creaking sound from the front end. Like loud enough to turn heads and make people wonder WTF is up with my car... It almost sounds like maybe a bushing or something? It seems to correspond with spring/shock movement when I go over a speed bump, but then it makes the sound when the car is sitting still just by turning the wheel from side to side. Can susp. bushings be lubricated? Any ideas? The car is a 99 with 72K on it...

Thanks,
Jon

Michael
05-21-2002, 10:27 AM
I don't know, but mine does that too sometimes. Therefore, I'll bump this question back up.

PhilthMonger
05-21-2002, 10:36 AM
If you guys drive 2g's it's busted lower ball joints. they are on recall, take em to the dealer and get them fixed for free!!! before they fuck up completely and send your car into a wall or something.....

99mmcgsx
05-21-2002, 10:57 AM
Thanks man. I just called mitsu here and they said that symptoms might be a knocking, squeaking, and general looseness of the front end.

Yup, got all of those. :(

Here is the summary from the NHTSA site:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 00V421001
Component: SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT CONTROL ARM:LOWER:BALL JOINT
Manufacturer: MITSUBISHI AMERICA

Year: 1999 Make: MITSUBISHI Model: ECLIPSE Recall Date: 12/18/2000

Type of Report: Vehicle
Potential Number of Units Affected: 567432
Manufactured: 03/1994 - 06/1999
Defect Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. IF THE RUBBER BOOTS ON THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINTS OF THE FRONT SUSPENSION WERE DAMAGED DURING ASSEMBLY, DIRT AND WATER CAN INTRUDE. ALSO, MMC HAS ADDED THE POTENTIAL OF LEAKING MOISTURE, WHICH CAN CAUSE THE BALL STUD TO CORRODE.
Consequence Summary:
THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINT TO SEPARATE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH. THIS CAMPAIGN SUPERCEDES MMC'S PREVIOUS SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN, SEE 99V-066.
Corrective Summary:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINT FOR WEAR. BALL JOINTS THAT EXHIBIT WEAR BEYOND THE ESTABLISHED TOLERANCE WILL BE REPLACED WITH NEWLY DESIGNED LATERAL ARM BALL JOINTS. BALL JOINTS THAT ARE WITHIN THE ESTABLISHED TOLERANCE WILL BE CLEANED AND A SPECIAL SEALANT WILL BE APPLIED TO PREVENT INTRUSION OF MOISTURE.

Jon

PhilthMonger
05-21-2002, 11:16 AM
oh yeah, and don't let them get away with just changing the rubber boot, make them change the f-in ball joint.....I made them give me new control arms too hehehe....

99mmcgsx
05-22-2002, 08:00 AM
Just wanted to follow up in case this is searched out later. The problem turned out indeed to be the lower ball joints/control arms, as well as loose inner tie rods (which contributed to the loose steering feel).

J

Matt Peschke
05-26-2002, 11:48 PM
do you think it would be the same thing on a 1g talon (92 talon tsi)?? or do you think it is a squeeky belt or something

Blackboost
05-27-2002, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Matt Peschke
do you think it would be the same thing on a 1g talon (92 talon tsi)?? or do you think it is a squeeky belt or something

It sounds the same on a 1G. I replaced mine last week (albeit no ball joint recall love for us 1G's:( )

Matt Peschke
05-27-2002, 10:36 AM
bastards....

we just gets no love....

how much was it to replace the ball joint??

Blackboost
05-27-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Matt Peschke
bastards....

we just gets no love....

how much was it to replace the ball joint??

I just bought the parts, since i do the work myself...;)

Matt Peschke
05-27-2002, 04:23 PM
alright.....

i'd rather do it myself too...

more specific questions...

complexity of the job (easy-moderate-rocket science)?
how long did it take?
part # or #'s (if you still remember them)? costs?
any special tools needed?

I'm an aspiring gear head.....is this gonna be more than I can handle...

thanks blackboost

Blackboost
05-27-2002, 08:32 PM
It's a job on the moderate difficulty level. It would take from 45 minutes+ the first time around, until you get the feeling of it.

Now comes the GREAT part!! The ball joints are not available separately, so you will have to replace the lower control arm :(. One runs for about $162 at Conicelli (with the discount) and you will need both if you want to do a nice job. I got both at a local parts shop for about $200 :( (the owner is an old friend of my father). The job is easy, plus faster if you got air tools.

Ralliartgvr4
09-21-2002, 05:13 PM
Not true i have bought ball joints, they are separate, go to an auto parts store. The manual is incorrect

Blackboost
09-21-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Ralliartgvr4
Not true i have bought ball joints, they are separate, go to an auto parts store. The manual is incorrect

Agree....

Not so long ago, I found out that they're available separately...;)

bretthejet26
09-21-2002, 10:50 PM
hey i have the same problem..... it squeeks, and kinda crackle sound.... but the weird thing is... it goes away on its own, and comes back when it feels like it..... what would cause that?

PineappleTalon
09-22-2002, 11:15 PM
I know whats wrong with your steering. I had the same problem, it makes a loud ass squealing and makes the steering lock up when you trun the wheel. It all went away when I changed my timing belt and tensioners. Now I have no problems with it. It feels great! Hope this helps.

bretthejet26
09-23-2002, 09:55 PM
i really dont think its a belt problem, i had my timing belt changed about 5 months ago, and it doesnt really squeek, (even though i said it did lol) it just makes a hideous sound, sounds like bad shocks, but it also happens when i turn the wheel under 5mph

Matt Peschke
09-23-2002, 10:13 PM
my squeeling was exactly like PineappleTalon as well......it eventually went away....i'm 100% it was a belt though..

but if it's not a belt, then it's not a belt....good luck w/ it.

barney
09-24-2002, 11:47 AM
As for the ball joints, Mistu only sells the complete assembly (lower control arm). The ball joints are available as a separate part only from aftermarket parts dealers such as NAPA.

On older 1g cars the mounting for the rack may actually wear out. Notice the rack is held in place by brackets and rubber bushings. When the bushings wear the rack can move around and make noise. This noise may go away when you drive through water. Water is a lubricant for rubber.