1g popup headlight problem [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: 1g popup headlight problem

gsx90
05-29-2002, 05:07 PM
Both headlights pop up fine, but most of the time the driver side headlight doesn't go down and has to be put down manually. I've tried another headlight motor and still get the same problem...Is this a common problem that anyone else has experienced? Please help if there is a quick easy fix!!! thanks!

Ed Ramberger
05-29-2002, 07:30 PM
Ahhhhh, another victim...

My pop up lights didn't retract - made a trip to the boneyard and replaced everything but the motors and switch. It started with one light that would intermittantly not retract, then 2 that were hit and miss, then they always stayed up. They ALWAYS worked up and down when I opened up the motor relay in the underhood fuse box and pressed it manually to close the contacts...this part of the circuit is after the bad spot in the wiring.

Fast forward...there is a now unobtainable Chrysler service bulletin (it is on their old computer system they discarded). I called the S.T.A.R. line (Chryslers hotline) and got a hold of a long time tech who went and found an old paper copy. He worked with me because I called in from the dealer I used to work at.

Here is what happens...behind the driverside headlight motor, inside the protected wire loom, just before/at where the wiring turns the corner at the front of the fender, a bunch of taped/crimped (yep - not soldered/insulated) connectors rot over time. The main symptom is pop up headlights that go up and not down. I recommend that you open the headlight relay, close the contacts manually, and if the lights start going up and down, go in and repair the wiring. I had about 5 bad connections. You have to remove the headlight motor to get to it.

I would post the bulletin, but I lent it to my friend's lazy kid who lost it.

Ed

Blindmouse
04-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Few days ago, I observed that mystery.
both pop-up mechanism are working, but the driver side pop-up is delayed a 0.2-0.3 seconds (compared to pass. side.)
the left headlight motor will be dead? :confused:

diambo4life
04-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Mine does the same thing too. It will go up but has to be manually retracted. I haven't gotten around to "fixing" the problem but I will be watching this thread for solutions.:D

PCONE90GSX
04-07-2003, 11:25 PM
I had the same problem for a while with one going up about a second or two after the other. What I did was spray the entire mechanism with wd-40 a bunch of times and have never had a problem since.

Blindmouse
04-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by PCONE90GSX
I had the same problem for a while with one going up about a second or two after the other. What I did was spray the entire mechanism with wd-40 a bunch of times and have never had a problem since.

I'm sprayin' day by day.. and the problem stills :(

Esky
08-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Bringing back a very old thread, but I've been digging into this issue now, since I picked up my 90 GSX.

I recommend that you open the headlight relay, close the contacts manually
What does this mean? How do you open the headlight relay, and close the contacts manually? Where exactly is the headlight relay?

The fuse was out for the pop ups when I bought it, and I popped one in, and the motors were making noise, but the lights didn't move. I took apart the passenger side headlight and sprayed the pivot points with Blaster and hammered on the pulling lever and finally have that one moving semi freely. I can manually raise and lower the head light, but even if I do, when I raise the headlight and go to turn on the headlights or hit the pop up/down button, the headlight drops (not 100% of the way, but close), then doesn't come back up. What I thought was weird was, why is it when the headlight is up, then I go to turn the headlights on (which should make the pop ups pop up) the headlight drops and stays down?

Any more input on this?