Need help car won't accellerate [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Need help car won't accellerate

90Eclipse
08-07-2002, 07:43 PM
Hey guys... well... I have a 1990 Eclipse 1.8 automatic... First off my ECU died and I got a new one... and now when I go to start it it starts but it doesn't respond when I step on the gas pedal theres no accelleration what so ever... the RPM just sits around 500.. I've checked the butterfly to see if it open and it did... damn I don't know whats wrong its so frustrating and its not throwing any error codes.. somebody please help.

indy1979
08-07-2002, 10:06 PM
ok, here is the tricky ? Did you actually move the throttle plate with your hand to see if it opened. if so, did the engine rev up? If you step on the pedal and the throttle plate doesn't open, check to make sure the cable is still attached to the top of the pedal and to the TB. if it is, prolly gonna be a broken cable. Thats really the only thing it could be.

It wouldn't be the TPS cause if the throttle plate opens with a bad tps its gonna die. Wouldn't be anything electrical for the same reason as before. its something mechanical.

Sam

90Eclipse
08-08-2002, 11:04 AM
Yes... I moved the throttle plate by hand to see if it open and it did... when I did that it rev a little bit and slowly too but it didnt rev that much probably like 100 RPM more and thats it... hmmm what could it be I am so frustrated.

indy1979
08-08-2002, 04:58 PM
low fuel pressure, injector going bad, FPR going/gone bad. this is one of those interesting ones.

Sam

norcal-nonturbo
08-08-2002, 05:51 PM
i havent had the problem that he is expiriencing but wouldn't there be other things going wrong if the problem was the fuel system? wouldn't it just die because there is not enough fuel? the only reason i ask is becuase if he were to step on the gas wouldn't it still try to accelerate and then die because there is no fuel, or does the ecu protect against that? im not trying to prove you wrong im just really curious and would like to know in case this happens to me...knock on wood...
thanks
-jeff

indy1979
08-08-2002, 07:54 PM
well, you're right now that I think about it. I'm just giving possibilities that could be it. In a case like this, you really don't have an idea of where to start. might as well just go ahead and check everything. you never know what things are going bad, it could be a combination of a number of things.

Sam