Clicking noise after car is in gear... [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Clicking noise after car is in gear...


veritas
09-30-2002, 09:59 PM
Alright, let me see if i can explain this properly...

I'll be driving my car around normaly...i'll stop, put the car in Reverse, then step on the gas to back up...at the moment i step on the gas, i hear what is a CLICK sound come out of the tarnsmission...then nothing...one click then nothing..the car engages fine and backs up fine, but 9 times out of ten, i hear it in reverse, and now on occasion, i hear it when i put the car in drive...This has been going on since i've owned the car and my tranny has worked fine...no changes in performance and shifting...

Anyone got any ideas...?

veritas
10-04-2002, 09:40 PM
anybody...?
:confused:

AWD Terror
10-07-2002, 11:41 AM
Are you sure it's the transmission? The clicking could be coming from your suspension as it shifts with the weight of the car moving from a stop.

veritas
10-07-2002, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the thought...positive it's not the suspension...i can't believe noone else has experienced this problem with an A/T...:confused:

ATF 2GTalon
10-12-2002, 06:52 PM
I've got a low pitched fast clicking from my transmission too. I can only hear it if I put the transmission in D and let the car idle while I stand in front of the car with the hood up. And of course with the parking brake on. I haven't checked the other gears, but the clicking definitely is starting to concern me. I just hope its nothing real serious.

igs
10-13-2002, 02:58 AM
I have the thing, although it's more of a "knock" than a "click". I think it has something to do with the brake caliper.

KY_4G63_1G
10-22-2002, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by igs
I think it has something to do with the brake caliper.

I had the clicking problem for a bit then it went to almost like a loud horn type of sound and found out it was the right rear caliper so i jus replaced both rear ones.

igs
01-24-2003, 06:00 AM
Ok it's definitely not the brakes or suspension. It's something in the transmission or drivetrain making this noise. I've seemed to always have had this noise too, now it's starting to get really annoying.

BoostedTSi
01-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Someone else posted something similar to this a while back. I think they said something about the tranny fluid being low but I'm not sure. Do a search.

igs
01-27-2003, 07:30 PM
U-Joints?

92DSMGSX
05-30-2003, 11:58 PM
im pretty sure it's ur cv joints man, i have the same problem, when i engage my clutch, or hit gas pretty heavy in lower gears, i hear a click from the axles i think. I think its the cv joints, pretty sure.

igs
06-02-2003, 10:57 PM
But I though CV joints are when you're turning? I get this noise when going straight. Actually it happens when turning too. :eek:

:eek: :eek:

95tsiawdgst
06-02-2003, 11:53 PM
If your cv's click when turning they are bad, if they click while going straight they are farked(getting dangerous).

92DSMGSX
06-03-2003, 11:06 AM
mine does it only turning my wheel and then going, when i go straight, it doesnt click...

igs
06-04-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by 95tsiawdgst
If your cv's click when turning they are bad, if they click while going straight they are farked(getting dangerous).

It only click when accelerating/decelerating to/from a stop. What does that mean?

veritas
06-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by veritas
Alright, let me see if i can explain this properly...

I'll be driving my car around normaly...i'll stop, put the car in Reverse, then step on the gas to back up...at the moment i step on the gas, i hear what is a CLICK sound come out of the tarnsmission...then nothing...one click then nothing..the car engages fine and backs up fine, but 9 times out of ten, i hear it in reverse, and now on occasion, i hear it when i put the car in drive...This has been going on since i've owned the car and my tranny has worked fine...no changes in performance and shifting...

Anyone got any ideas...?

Turned out to be my Shift Sollenoids...

92DSMGSX
06-04-2003, 04:44 PM
i just noticed that my car does it going straight also, only when i stop and go though, not when im in speed. cv joints still?

igs
06-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by veritas

Turned out to be my Shift Sollenoids...

What are those? How did you fix it?

95tsiawdgst
06-04-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by igs


It only click when accelerating/decelerating to/from a stop. What does that mean?

"If" it is the cv's it would happen then because those are times where there is extra load on them compared to just cruising.

I have had bad ones and have changed them before. I have a rip now on my talon because the balljoint bolt is too long. Since I filled it with redline before I might just buy another "quick boot"($11) until I actually ever hear it. I have seen people drive cars with no boots for over ten years w/o a sound:confused:
It is dangerous to guess with them.

igs
06-25-2003, 02:04 PM
What are shift sollenoids?

BV1
11-23-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ATF 2GTalon
I've got a low pitched fast clicking from my transmission too. I can only hear it if I put the transmission in D and let the car idle while I stand in front of the car with the hood up. And of course with the parking brake on. I haven't checked the other gears, but the clicking definitely is starting to concern me. I just hope its nothing real serious.

I have this too! WTF is it? Its electrical of some sort because if I shut the car off and put it in D the sound is there, and if I ever so slightly press teh gas so that the TPS goes to 2% the noise shuts off,

Soon as I let off the gas the noise is there again, it took me awhile to figure out that it would do it with the car not running.

Check it out guys, see if you have the same thing. Shut off your car (A/T only) and then put it in D with the ignition switch on, but not started, and listen for it? Its come right from the tranny it seems, and ONLY when your not on the gas.

It sound likes a piece of cardboard stuck in the front tire of a bicycle thats going 5 mph, clickty clack over and over and over, like a solenoids thats opening and closing really fast.

-Steve

dsm1995gs
12-01-2003, 12:40 PM
i got that same problem with my 95 gs a/t. when i stop at a light nothing happends, then when i start to go i hear a loud bang noise like someone hit my transmission with a 2x4. it happends at least once a day. what the hell is it! it scares me.

lithium
12-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Universal joints on your driveshaft... that is what the clicking is that you AWD guys hear when you put the car in reverse, and get a quick click click....

dsm1995gs
12-01-2003, 01:10 PM
but what about the fwd eclipse

BISHILVR
12-30-2003, 07:43 PM
BV1... this is completely normal!!! even the dodge minivans using the mitsu tranny's do it!! it's the solenoid's in the tranny, the reason it stops when you begin to press on the pedal is because there is a tiny microswitch in the pedal that sends a signal to the tcu to tell it that you want to move and then the tcu sends a signal to the line pressure control solenoids in the tranny to boost the line pressure, when this happens the solenoids are held in the "on" or "off" state instead of being sent "pulses". it's the "pulses" of 12v that you are hearing from the solenoids making them buzz in a way....the reason for this all is that some japanese tranny's don't have constant line pressure when in gear, the line pressure is moderated instead by the tcu electronically according to factory set values for differing conditions ex: tranny fluid temp, wheel speed, engine rpm, gear selection, coast down time, etc..... in the end if everything is working fine and you only hear the sound that was described above then don't worry bout it, it's completely normal!!!

BV1
04-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by BISHILVR
BV1... this is completely normal!!! even the dodge minivans using the mitsu tranny's do it!! it's the solenoid's in the tranny, the reason it stops when you begin to press on the pedal is because there is a tiny microswitch in the pedal that sends a signal to the tcu to tell it that you want to move and then the tcu sends a signal to the line pressure control solenoids in the tranny to boost the line pressure, when this happens the solenoids are held in the "on" or "off" state instead of being sent "pulses". it's the "pulses" of 12v that you are hearing from the solenoids making them buzz in a way....the reason for this all is that some japanese tranny's don't have constant line pressure when in gear, the line pressure is moderated instead by the tcu electronically according to factory set values for differing conditions ex: tranny fluid temp, wheel speed, engine rpm, gear selection, coast down time, etc..... in the end if everything is working fine and you only hear the sound that was described above then don't worry bout it, it's completely normal!!!

Thanks for the response, I knew it had to be something along that nature, just didn't know what it was. Mine is quite audible though, as in, I can hear it cleary when going through a drive through, bouncing off the walls.

Oh well, least I know what it was, thanks dude,

-Steve

mr2gman
04-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Hi All,

Sorry, to step on the thread. This reply is in reference to AWD Terrors response because my car is making a clunk sound from the suspension when put it in reverse and the cars weight is transferred. I wanted to ask if anyone else had this problem and how to fix it. I have a 97 Talon TSI AWD Turbo Automatic.
P.S. I emailed you AWD Terror.

Thank All.

BV1
04-10-2004, 01:45 AM
We all have that, I just live with it,

-Steve