Wiring for the back up lights [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Wiring for the back up lights

mubones
02-06-2001, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the wiring that powers the back up lights? I want to tap in a small strobe and set up a switch to make the back up lights flash and mock the guy that just lost. :-) Thanks

Chi99GST
02-06-2001, 10:06 PM
I would suggest pulling out the trunk rear panel by slightly pulling up and out. I'm sure the wires run from the frame to the bumper.

How do you know what wire is what?

Unscrew the rear reverse light caps and pull out the light bulbs.

Tap one of the wires inside of the trunk and then probe one of the leads that runs to the light with a volt o meter.

Set it to test continuity. (When you touch the 2 leads it should make a sound) Once you found the same wire it will make the sound. Then you will have found your wire / wires. Which one is positive which one is negative? Have someone put the car into reverse. Careful, don't get run over!

Test for voltage. I'm sure the lights are only 12 - 14 volts. The other wire, if there is one, would be ground.

Id do it myself to help you out, but it is cold as hell out and snowing! No garage and I move to Dallas next week. If you still haven't figured it out by then I'll test em for you and upload images.

Please try first.

mubones
02-07-2001, 02:49 PM
Cool, thanks Adam.