Ignitions? MSD DIS-2-HO vs. Crane HI-6-DI2 [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Ignitions? MSD DIS-2-HO vs. Crane HI-6-DI2

James92TSi
10-10-2002, 01:27 AM
Yes, I http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/images/top_search.gifed to my heart's content. 7 pages worth, no real definitive answers.

I'm looking to make a comparison between the MSD DIS-2-HO, and the Crane HI-6DI2 ignition boxes. Here are some relevant specs from the manufacturer's sites (I deleted useless things like dimensions and operating voltage):

MSD:
- Spark Energy: 170 milliJoules Per Spark
- Primary Voltage: 470 Volts
- Output Voltage: 43,000 Volts (Stock Coil)
- Current Draw: DIS-2 HO, 5.3 amps@10,000 rpm
- RPM Range: 12,500 rpm w/14.4 Volt Supply

Crane:
- Current draw: 3.0 amps max at 10,000 RPM
- RPM operating range: 20,000+ RPM (with rev limiter disabled)
- RPM limiter range: 500 to 9,900 RPM in 100 RPM increments for each stage
- RPM limiter accuracy: 30 RPM
- Multiple Spark Duration: Approximately 20 crankshaft rotation below 3,600 RPM. Maximum 12 sparks per seq. with 1 millisecond interval between sparks.
- Primary voltage output: 450 volts
- Primary energy output: 1200 millijoules/sequence
- Trigger inputs: Module trigger (12 volt square wave)

Now this is where it gets interesting. My observations from comapring these specs:

- Energy output: Crane is 1200 mJ/sequence, MSD is 170 mJ/spark. I need to find out how many sparks are in a "sequence" to be able to compare these specs. Dammit.

- The MSD draws more current at 10k RPM (5.3 amps vs. <2.0 amps). Makes me wonder if the MSD is putting out more spark than the Crane, or if there's just more waste in the MSD circuitry.

- Primary output voltage: MSD 470 volts, Crane 450.

- Although not listed in the MSD's short rundown of specs, the Capacitive Discharge is also for 20 of crank rotation. MSD does not specify an RPM at which it goes to single spark... Crane uses CD under 3600 RPM, and single spark over 3600.

- Crane rev limit and stage limit is adjustable in 100 RPM increments to 9,900. MSD is adjustable in 250 RPM increments to as high as the unit will fire (12.5k). Advantage to Crane for the smaller increment, I'm not revving higher than 9900.

Any other ideas anyone has about these two boxes are welcome, as well as hands on experiences with them. Thanks for any input..

James92TSi
10-10-2002, 02:14 AM
HA... found more specs on MSD in their instruction manual online. There is no online manual for the DIS-2-HO, but the regular DIS-2 is listed w/ more specs.

The DIS-2 (not HO) gives 105-115 mJ per spark, 1540 mJ per sequence. Compare to 1200 mJ per sequence on the Crane.

MSD goes to 3000 RPM with multiple sparks, and >3000 is single spark. On the Crane the switchover is at 3600 RPM. Not sure which is better or if it matters.. the multiple spark is jsut to improve idle and low RPM throttle response. Both ignitions do multiple sparks for 20 degrees of crank rotation.

The Crane will require an electronic trigger adapter, while the MSD will not require anything (90s need a tach adapter). This is because the Crane uses + coil triggers, and the MSD uses - coil triggers (our stock system is - trigger). Advantage to MSD.

So far the MSD is looking like the best deal. I know I'm replying to myself here and that's lame, but maybe someone else will benefit from the info I'm sorting through. :dunno:

Mannai
10-10-2002, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by James92TSi
So far the MSD is looking like the best deal. I know I'm replying to myself here and that's lame, but maybe someone else will benefit from the info I'm sorting through. :dunno:

No man this is good info.

although I dont understand half of the stuff :D

good comparo though

TNOMUD
10-10-2002, 05:46 AM
I have the Electromotive setup and am totally happy with it. Timing changes are a snap. You can change multiple timing marks in 1 minute or less.

James92TSi
10-11-2002, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by TNOMUD
I have the Electromotive setup and am totally happy with it. Timing changes are a snap. You can change multiple timing marks in 1 minute or less. I'm still using the stock ECU here.. just looking for an ignition amplifier + stutterbox + soft rev limiter.

Another spec to compare... price.. this is really starting to favor MSD, but I wonder if Crane is more reliable since they're using surface mount components... anyway..

MSD DIS-2 $320
MSD DIS-2-HO $330

Crane Fireball HI-6-DI2 $320
Crane electronic trigger module (required) $140 (total $460)

The question is... what makes the $130 difference here between the DIS-2-HO and the Crane? Check out http://www.cranecams.com/whatsnew/compare.htm ... kinda interesting.

TNOMUD
10-11-2002, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by James92TSi
I'm still using the stock ECU here.. just looking for an ignition amplifier + stutterbox + soft rev limiter.

Another spec to compare... price.. this is really starting to favor MSD, but I wonder if Crane is more reliable since they're using surface mount components... anyway..

MSD DIS-2 $320
MSD DIS-2-HO $330

Crane Fireball HI-6-DI2 $320
Crane electronic trigger module (required) $140 (total $460)

The question is... what makes the $130 difference here between the DIS-2-HO and the Crane? Check out http://www.cranecams.com/whatsnew/compare.htm ... kinda interesting.

I work in the idustry and our campany makes many ignitions (none for DSM). MSD and Crane both make very good stuff. I would suggest calling both of their Technical Service Departments. They are there to answer those questions in detail. I have talked to MSD reps and they are VERY knowledgable. I am sure Crane has the same to offer. For the few minutes it might take to call, I would do it. The more expensive Ignition more than likely offers more "ad-on" features.

James92TSi
10-11-2002, 01:37 PM
Since you work in the industry... what do you think of the old style board design (MSD) vs. the newer surface-mount style (Crane) from a reliability standpoint?

The way I'm looking at it now, both MSD units (DIS-2 and HO) put out more spark energy than the Crane, but the Crane might be more reliable and have higher switching speeds because of its circuitry.

I know what kind of answers I'll get if I call Crane and say "how does this compare to a DIS-2-HO" or call MSD and ask how it compares to the Crane unit... they'll both push their own product. They both say they're the most powerful, blah blah blah. :(

http://www.cranecams.com/whatsnew/compare.htm

I wouldn't say either box is more expensive (the box itself), but the Crane box requires a $140 electronic trigger to work on a 91-99 DSM (90 gets a special box).

sids
03-11-2003, 04:53 AM
James, I have a crane cams hi6, well ok the only reason I got it is becuase I got the ignition module at a good price, around $200, but had to spend for the tach adapter and it doesn't fit the stock coil pack so I had to use accel coil packs.

anyway, there are knobs on the side of the ignition box, i think it says something like 1st stage rpm limit, 2nd stage rpm or something like that, 4 in all.

I haven't touched the thing since I got it and have no idea how to adjut it? what are the knobs for? my primary goal in getting the ignition module is to increase mileage, any idea what setting do i have to dial it?

thanks