no spark, no cel light, what does this mean? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: no spark, no cel light, what does this mean?

NOMIEZVR4
10-14-2002, 12:09 PM
when i put my key on the "on" position, i get no cel light. my car has no spark, changed coil, plugs, wires. it cranks, but no spark. the ecu looks fine, but does have a little smell to it. please help!

vegabass15
10-14-2002, 07:21 PM
sorry to say but it's probley the ecu

NOMIEZVR4
10-14-2002, 07:42 PM
ok, just a few more questions. which ecu's can i use? off an automatic? mine is a 5 speed. i know i can use one off a 91 up, but i need to rewire wires 6&14. i took off my cam sensor, to put it back on, do i need to do anything, is any timing off or anything? thanks.

stanfosd
03-13-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by NOMIEZVR4
ok, just a few more questions. which ecu's can i use? off an automatic? mine is a 5 speed. i know i can use one off a 91 up, but i need to rewire wires 6&14. i took off my cam sensor, to put it back on, do i need to do anything, is any timing off or anything? thanks.
Did a new ecu solve your problem? Did you find something else was the culprit? Please let us know what happened as I am going through this right now.

Blackboost
03-13-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by NOMIEZVR4

You can use the AT ECU as long as your car is a NT one. The cam sensor needs to timed correctly at installation time.

BCTsi
03-13-2003, 08:58 PM
A good way to check if your ecu is shot put a test light on the injector cont. if the light flickers when you crank it, then the ecu is good. If you do replace the ecu make sure you replace the iac there are known to short out the ecu.

NOMIEZVR4
03-14-2003, 09:18 AM
yea, it was the mfi fuse. it was blown, i got another one for like a buck. i hope you find your problem.

tekky_98_TSi
03-16-2003, 06:00 AM
another culprit of no spark (wouldnt affect CEL that I know of) your transistor pack (ignitors, whatever you wish to call em), which controls the firing of your coils would completely kill all power to your coils

stanfosd
03-16-2003, 02:49 PM
checked my ecu (1G) for codes using a buzzer this weekend. However, instead of getting either a code(s), 'ecu dead' or an 'ecu ok' buzzing, I get nothing. No buzz at al. The battery is fine, key is in the on position, terminals 1 & 12 are attatched to the buzzer and nothing happens. Anyone have any clue as to what this may be.

tekky_98_TSi
03-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by stanfosd
checked my ecu (1G) for codes using a buzzer this weekend. However, instead of getting either a code(s), 'ecu dead' or an 'ecu ok' buzzing, I get nothing. No buzz at al. The battery is fine, key is in the on position, terminals 1 & 12 are attatched to the buzzer and nothing happens. Anyone have any clue as to what this may be.

any warning lights come on when you turn to 'on' ? CEL/Batt/Oil?

if no.... check the MPI fuse, it would keep the ECU from turning on ;)

stanfosd
03-17-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by tekky_98_TSi

any warning lights come on when you turn to 'on' ? CEL/Batt/Oil?

if no.... check the MPI fuse, it would keep the ECU from turning on ;)
Other lights come on, but not the cel. Every fuse I have checked is ok (all the fuses on the pos terminal, all fuses in fusebox under hood, all fuses under steering column).

The one thing I am not sure on, is that ecu relay that is underneather the center console. Anyone know how to test that?

I am getting fuel, just no spark and the ecu doesnt seem to be functioning.

NOMIEZVR4
03-17-2003, 06:09 PM
change the ecu and see what happens.

turboniam
03-18-2003, 04:34 AM
another culprit of no spark (wouldnt affect CEL that I know of) your transistor pack (ignitors, whatever you wish to call em), which controls the firing of your coils would completely kill all power to your coils

Where is the transistor pack???

colonelfox
03-18-2003, 05:42 AM
I think he's talking about the coil pack.
Scott, as dumb as it may sound, check your battery too. I had a similar problem a few years ago, and it turned out to be a bad cell in a brand new battery. It could supply just enough voltage for lights interior lights, but not spark. Unfortunately, it does sound to me like your ECU might be gone. :( I should have given a signal if it was allright. Did it run a little odd before it died?

tekky_98_TSi
03-18-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by turboniam

Where is the transistor pack???

on 1G's it may be on the firewall... I havent looked in ages on one of those...

its a 6 or so wire plug that feeds the coil pack power and firing signal, and also feeds RPM back to the tach
on a 2g it bolts down to the left (passenger side) of the coil pack mounting bracket, may be same place on 1g's

stanfosd
03-19-2003, 08:26 AM

on 1G's it may be on the firewall... I havent looked in ages on one of those...

its a 6 or so wire plug that feeds the coil pack power and firing signal, and also feeds RPM back to the tach
on a 2g it bolts down to the left (passenger side) of the coil pack mounting bracket, may be same place on 1g's
On 1G's it is bolted to the right side (driver side) of the intake manifold. Kinda deep down in there, under the coil pack plug.

turboniam
03-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Thanks, I found it and it was loose and causing my tach to bounce all over and the car to run crappy!

I made sure that the clip would secure it tightly and now it runs well :D

stanfosd
03-20-2003, 10:04 AM
Ok, I have a question for everyone.

In checking to see if I get any voltage at the cas harness, I found something interesting.

If I check it the way it is supposed to be checked (one multimeter lead to the correct harness terminal and the other multimeter lead to a ground), then I do not get any voltages.

However, if I swap ground for positive (ie: one multimeter lead to the correct harness terminal and the other multimeter lead to the positive battery terminal) then I get the correct values.

It seems that my positive and ground is reversed. My radio and other electrical devices work, but not the ecu or cas. :dunno:

Anyone have any clue?

colonelfox
03-21-2003, 05:38 PM
I can't remember exactly how to check a CAS, but is it maybe just dead? Are you measuring the resistance between terminals, or just voltage output?

stanfosd
03-21-2003, 06:56 PM
I am pretty sure the CAS itself is ok. I was checking the voltage on the harness. Forget about that. I think I have a bigger problem somewhere.

I was checking my wires for the ecu to make sure I get power to it because I dont think I am (never hear it click off and dont get a cel light when the key is turned 'on'.

Referring to this page: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ecu-harness-1G.html

I get 12 volts between terminal 101 and 103 (which is 12v constant) but nothing between 101 and 102. The problem is, I dont know where 102 comes from. I would imagine that it is power when the key is on, but dont know.

zachab242
10-19-2003, 04:40 PM
92 laser 1.8 manual

I did a HG replacement and now i have no spark.......... so i should check my MPI........and maybe my ECu which i just recently had a new cap put in............... ????

Zach

NOMIEZVR4
10-19-2003, 05:06 PM
yes, check your fuse. btw, what is a hg?

zachab242
10-19-2003, 05:20 PM
HG= head gasket, you mean to check my MPI fuse?? could you tell me where my MPI relay is. ive been trying to find out on dsmtuners for awhile now and its not in my chiltons either???//

ZB

NOMIEZVR4
10-19-2003, 05:25 PM
its one of the 3 fuses next to the positive battery terminal.

zachab242
10-19-2003, 05:28 PM
Theres no MPI relay just the Fuse right?????/ its an MPI fuse?

NOMIEZVR4
10-19-2003, 05:47 PM
yea, how does it look? is it burned out?

zachab242
10-20-2003, 02:02 PM
I actually replaced that one a week ago when i put in a new battery and Alternator...............Tommorrow im gonna go get a new distributor and ECu hopefully..............Im dying to get my lil DSM cruisin again......... Ill let you know how it goes......

TY
ZACH