major n00b question inside :) [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: major n00b question inside :)

ianfromMA
10-17-2002, 08:40 PM
what exactly does a turbo timer do?

yes, i know, i'm stupid....thank you

CyberDSM
10-17-2002, 08:48 PM
Basically if you've been runnin your turbo hard or boostin alot its not good for it to just turn off the engine because the turbo will cook. A turbo timer keeps the engine running for a set amount of time after the key is removed so you can let the engine cool down and not wait in the car while it does. My turbo timer, Blitz Dual TT, actually has a built in boost gauge too, and there are other TT's out there that can monitor your o2 voltage as well.

ianfromMA
10-17-2002, 08:56 PM
oooo ok, thats along the lines of what i was thinking. how much does one of these babies run for?

that would be cool getting out of my car at school and leaving it on....people would be like :eek: he left his car on!

and i'd be like...isn't it cool? :cool:

EclipseGSX
10-17-2002, 08:59 PM
n00b indeed, so i guess u bought your car for showin off? :rolleyes: hehe j/k

truwarrior22
10-17-2002, 11:43 PM
What car...? ;)

stevep
10-17-2002, 11:50 PM
Just make sure to have a spare set of keys close at hand. I can't tell you how many times I got distracted and remembered just after I locked the door that they were still in the car. :) It's been years since I last left it running but when I first put the TT on right after I bought the car I was doing this about one a month.

Steve

broadypunk
10-17-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by EclipseGSX
n00b indeed, so i guess u bought your car for showin off? :rolleyes: hehe j/k

everybody buys their dsm to show off

Brandon92DSM
10-18-2002, 02:28 AM
like said, its a device that will leave your car to idle down after the key has been pulled. usually they can be set from like 1-10 minutes. I set mine at 3 in my old MR2. It allows the oil to circulate though the hot turbo for a tad longer to cool it off. this is supposedly important because the oil can fry in a hot turbo and clog the lines up, leading to bearing seizure.

nowadays the usefullness of turbo timers is debatable, since most modern turbos are partially water-cooled, and oil technology is vastly improved. most guys that are willing to blow $100 on a timer are the type to spend top-dollar on the best synthetic oil available, which is not known to fry or "coke" as its called, like cheap mineral oils do.

turbo90awd
10-18-2002, 07:43 AM
I think people have totally misconcieved the necessity of a turbo timer.
Yes, it will prevent oil from "coking" inside the oil passages of the shaft bearing. But, you'd have to be running some serious boost in a road race and pull right over and shut the motor off right away. Then do the same thing every day for a few months. That might clog the oil passages.
However, even if you drive your car hard on the street, you're going to have to slow down and/or stop and wait for a bit to get to your parking spot or driveway. Once you take your foot off the gas, the BOV opens and the turbo is no longer heating up like it was before. If you're driving around a parking lot looking for a space, you're cooling your oil right there.
My point is that there are some turbos that are installed without water cooling lines, they have a harder job of cooling the turbo. They might benefit from a turbo timer. DSM's are turbo from the factory and the design includes oil and water cooling lines, which is a tremendous difference. I've owned 4 turbo DSMs over the last 8 years and never had a turbo fail on me yet.
If you are afraid of your turbo "coking", just remember that if you've been driving without boost for a couple minutes, then you've already done the turbo timer's job. Maybe you should spend that cash on something more useful, like a remote start or a new radio.

That's my $.02

Black97TSIAWD
10-18-2002, 08:33 AM
Why get a remote start though. What use does he have with that. For a newbie who will most likely be on the boost all the time and want to shut the car off you might as well get it. Better then leaving your car on for a little longer. Usually i only use mine at the track not everyday use but as long as the stock radio is a cd player then you really don't need a new radio or remote start. Or find something even better for that money, i am sure there are a million things out there.;)

imoore
10-18-2002, 08:40 AM
The overall consensious that I've seen is they can't hurt, but aren't, generally, NEEDED.

I read on the DSM digest a while ago about how our turbo's are designed to have the oil drip through them after shutdown as well as coolant. So they do a particularly well job of not coking.

If you have the extra $100 and want the insurance and the added coolness factor, go for it.

itdood
10-18-2002, 02:06 PM
totaly unnecessary on a wet turbo, therefore:

turbotimer = :rice:

Spend your money on something that'll make the car faster instead. Believe me, you'll get bored fast with eye candy crap like a turbo timer.

I base this on the fact that myself, and a lot of other guys I've spoken with have mega miles on a single turbo with no problems. I never once even idled my car on my own, and I have 123k on my t25 and it's rock solid still kickin ass.

CyberDSM
10-18-2002, 06:19 PM
Well, I rationalize it like this, a boost gauge with a peak hold feature and a warning run bout 200 for a good one. My Blitz Dual TT, not only works as a turbo timer but, shows my boost, shows my highest boost level, has a warning feature, and even a lap timer. So it works out for me seeing as I got it for 140.

Dsmman
01-02-2003, 06:40 AM
Moved to Newbie Forum. Next time if you have a "major nOOb question" post it in the correct forum!!!!

imoore
01-02-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Dsmman
Moved to Newbie Forum. Next time if you have a "major nOOb question" post it in the correct forum!!!!

With all due respect, was the newbie forum even around when this post was made? (Oct 02)

mnbv
01-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Are there any other "mods" that are more rice then performance oriantated?

Another question. Shouldent you let your car idle any way to cool down the engine, not just the turbo?

Brandon92DSM
01-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by mnbv
Are there any other "mods" that are more rice then performance oriantated?

Another question. Shouldent you let your car idle any way to cool down the engine, not just the turbo?

timers arent rice per se, they're just outdated and not really needed on modern turbo engines...which would include our cars.