Handbrake light always on. Fixes? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Handbrake light always on. Fixes?

DSMaddicted
10-18-2002, 10:08 PM
Fellow DSMers,
my handbrake light is always on.

1991 Talon TSi AWD.

Anybody already fixed this in the past?

Thnx in advance,

Walter

Scott08
10-18-2002, 10:38 PM
add brake fluid

DSMaddicted
10-19-2002, 07:08 AM
It makes sense, Scott, and I forgot to mention that I already checked my brake fluid and it's fine.

I am guessing that it has something to do with the wires under the handbrake, maybe the Turbo Timer tap connector I added earlier this year is starting to play games on me... I might have to solder the wires instead...

Thank God I haven't used those tap connectors for my S-AFC.

Walter

Blackboost
10-19-2002, 07:21 AM
Try this...

Open your reservoir and make sure that the foam plunger that floats on the reservoir isn't stuck at the bottom. Sometimes it gets stuck and will trigger the brake light...:(

BTW, I just sent you an e-mail...;)

16g-95GSX
10-23-2002, 12:57 PM
I have this weird ass "brake" light problem. It will come on when my car is decelerating, whether by me actually pressing the brakes or just letting off of the throttle. Once I begin pushing on the throttle in the slightest the light will go off. The car doesnt have any physical changes aside from the stupid light. I tried posting this before and when I opened my resevior there was a mesh filter type piece there when I opened it, and everyone said they had no idea what I was talking about and had no idea how to remove it.

I will take a pic of it today maybe and show you guys. I checked out the wiring for the brake itself as well as my tap going to it for my turbotimer/egt gauge and they all checked out as well.

AXiS
10-26-2002, 04:49 PM
Damn a mesh filter piece? The only mesh filter I know of is at the very bottom of the reservoir, to filter out large particles from the master cylinder. If you can see that, your brake fluid is extremely low.. Is the mesh piece near the bottom? It almost has to be for the float to function. If you were that low on brake fluid, though, I don't think the light would only be on when you decelerated. I don't think your brakes would work very well either. Let us know!

16g-95GSX
10-29-2002, 10:31 PM
The mesh piece is at the virtual top of the resevoir. I just topped off the container just to be sure, and sure enough that piece just sits there. I seriously need to take a pic for you guys. The brake like seems to have stopped coming on now though. By the way the mesh filter I am talking about is as large as teh resevior itself, it is the same inner diameter as the resevior and goes completely across it.

CleanGS97
10-30-2002, 01:27 AM
maybe you have air in your breaklines somewhere.....?????? did you change your pads or anything recently? that wouldnt do it neccesarily but if there was some air in there something might have dislodged it? I am just speculating here..

-Aaron