Favorite 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" speakers? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Favorite 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" speakers?

90TSI-AWD
02-12-2001, 11:29 AM
What are your favorite 5 1/4 or 6 1/2" speakers either 2 or 3 way, to provide front or rear sound. I have some sony 5 1/4" V1330 3 ways that provide clear highs, good resonse but little bass (running of 25watts RMS from deck). I also have some JBL GTO 602's (2 way also off the deck) that need more power than the deck can provide. They sound good until the volume goes up alot. Can anyone reccomend some good speakers? Either deck powered or amp powered, but make sure to say whats running them.

Brian Si
02-12-2001, 11:58 AM
i got 6X9 infiniti kappas in the back. fardown and i installed them right away when i got them. pretty straight forward install and they sound great! :D

for the fronts, i got the 6 1/2 infiniti kappa components.. i basically paid a local circuit city to install them quickly because i heard that the doors were a pain in the ass to do...

he custom flush mounted the tweeters on the doors. they sound a bit weak because there isn't an amp hooked up to them yet

i have an 4 channel amp on order and i can't wait till i get them hooked up..:)

sab4you
02-12-2001, 12:50 PM
Definately try out some Boston Acoustic Pro series (dont bother with non-pro).

They sound just sweet. You can run them off the deck, but they will handle I think 50-65 watts.

I would recommend a nice amp as well, but if your getting one at a time, get speakers first.

Dont cheap out on stereo stuff, I have had my boston pros about 10 years now, and 4 different cars. Might as well get good and keep them :)

Also, if your low on funds, get the good speakers in the front, and keep the fader slightly to the front, so the rear speakers are only a rear fill - You want the sound comin from the good speakers!

talon_jon
02-12-2001, 03:32 PM
That's my man, Boston Pros! I have them, I love them, they LAST, and they sound really good. http://tusktechnologies.org

91TalonAWD
02-12-2001, 05:18 PM
I also agree with the Boston Pro's, worth every penny. Others I would reccommend are Dynaudio, Focal, and MB Quart. MB Quart makes very good coaxials for pretty fair prices if you look around. I agree with sab4you, go with a nice external amp also to power your highs or you will not enjoy them to their potential.

Redsand187
02-12-2001, 05:42 PM
Focal and CD tech are my fav. its a toss up between them, but the CD techs are cheaper, and through the place I buy from they offer a 110% satifaction garentee, or they will give you your money back and give you any set you want at cost.

jayntguru
02-13-2001, 11:31 AM
Another Boston Pro user here. They rock. Need lots of power, though....

-Jay

boosteddsm
02-15-2001, 03:03 PM
I'm an MB Quart man myself :)

welderx
02-17-2001, 10:09 AM
i have ran boston pro since i had my civic! yow, that's like 10 years........
get a decent amp. #1 best way to "blow" tweeters is to run a little amp too hard.

slickseth
02-17-2001, 03:22 PM
Ive got some sony xplod 6 1/2" components with 1" tweeters up in the corners of the window sills. They need a good amp, but sound awesome. Theres no better way to get great highs and lows, than to have a separate speaker, specifically for each application.

Eben
02-27-2001, 02:49 PM
I personally prefer the MB Quartz 3-way components for the front (they are actually a 6 1/2" mid, a 4" high/mid, and a 1" tweeter) -This setup gave me incredible sound and, although they aren't cheap, they are better than the Boston 6.5,3 Pro series and are about the same cost wise... Just be sure to atleast get the "MusiCOMP" X-Over (standard with any of the MBQuartz PSC line). -As for the rears, I just threw in some Eclipse 3 way co-axle 6x9's for a little rear fill (be careful on what 6x9's you get, as not all brands will fit into a 1G -because of the limited depth caused by the wheel well). -Don't get a rear speaker that has MORE than a 2 7/8" mounting depth... as it is, I had to use a 1/4" 6x9 spacer to mount the Eclipses, and ended up with a little rear pannel flex (ahwell, nothing's perfect).

-Eben
94 Tsi "Installers do it with Strippers"