What kind of gauges? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: What kind of gauges?

Ferhat007
11-16-2002, 08:24 PM
Hi guys i need some gauges for my 95 gsx..what are the most important once i need....fuel,boost,turbo? or what thanks

harry99GSX
11-16-2002, 08:34 PM
Boost,EGT,Fuel press. are nice and you can put these 3 gauges in triple pillar replacement. Oil pressure and water temp. are also nice gauges to have. It depends on how much you really want to spend.

Ferhat007
11-16-2002, 11:51 PM
EGT ???? what the heck is that im sorry im new to this stuff thanks

1994eclipse
11-17-2002, 12:22 AM
what are your mods? it depends what you have on your car..but probably:

boost is a must, fuel pressure if you have aftermarket fuel parts, egt (exhaust gas temperature) to help tune and let you know if you're running too lean (w/egt gauge you'll need a pyrometer and tap it into your exhaust manifold).
that's all you really need

Blackboost
11-17-2002, 07:29 AM
Moved to Newbies Forum...

AWD Terror
11-17-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Ferhat007
EGT ???? what the heck is that im sorry im new to this stuff thanks

This website will answer many of your questions. :)

http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/answers-gauges.htm#whatisanEGTgauge

greenstreak
11-17-2002, 08:29 AM
Bare bones minimum I would suggest a boost guage (-30/+30) and an EGT guage. Stay away from air/fuel guages which seems to be the first guage a newb wants to buy.

Blackboost
11-17-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by greenstreak
Stay away from air/fuel guages which seems to be the first guage a newb wants to buy.

Agree...
The Light Show (A/F) gauge is a BIG POS...
It's only purpose is to let you know if your O2 sensor is still alive...

Ferhat007
11-17-2002, 10:56 AM
well gsx is stock right now but i have 2 engines one is in the car and other is in the shop..so far forged pistons .20mm bored over...and i will have 16G turbo,catback,better fuel injectors,bigger fuel pump,of course bigger intercooler....as u can see simple stuff so i should still stick with Boost,EGT,Fuel press gauges? if fuel pressure is just a light what else instead? thanks

Blackboost
11-17-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Ferhat007
well gsx is stock right now but i have 2 engines one is in the car and other is in the shop..so far forged pistons .20mm bored over...and i will have 16G turbo,catback,better fuel injectors,bigger fuel pump,of course bigger intercooler....as u can see simple stuff so i should still stick with Boost,EGT,Fuel press gauges? if fuel pressure is just a light what else instead? thanks

Nope...
A fuel pressure gauge is totally different from an A/F gauge...

The A/F gauge is a the "light" gauge. The FP gauge is "similar" to a boost gauge. It has a needle that raises up (or down) and shows the fuel pressure you have in your fuel system...

Ryan86
11-18-2002, 02:47 AM
What does a fuel pressure gauge tell you?

Would I need it? Why would I need it? Thx

Ryan

Faded
11-18-2002, 08:59 AM
The Fuel Pressure gauge tells you your Fuel Pressure :D Once you start modifing your injectors, fuel pump, rewire, etc. you may need an Adustable Fuel Pressure Regulator to lower you base fuel pressure. The only way to know what you fuel pressure is, is with the gauge. They come in to play a little later down the upgrade path. I still need to get one, but have been too lazy to rig up my own AFPR or spend the cash on a kit.