Little questions of wonders [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Little questions of wonders

sonnguyen
11-20-2002, 10:21 PM
hey guys post your questions too. you know those little questions that we "should" know about, and if we ask about them, we'd get flamed.

1.)Is "turbo" lag the process of the air having to travel all through the pipes then to the throttle body? or something else?

2.) how do you take off the stock air box in a 2g. hack? is it bolted?

3.) does lifter ticks hender performance? like .1 or .3 of a second in a 1/4 mile? does it make you run richer/leaner? if so, how much performance does it render? or does it vary?

4.) An intercooler... how does it cool down the air? (my theory... air goes from the turbo (which is warmed right?) and is sent through the lower intercooler pipe, then through the intercooler, which at the same time air is flowing through it real fast, which in essence cools down the air, like ram air? then through the UICP then into the throttle body. so, cooler air-denser air-better combustion, so more power?

5.) How much does the T25 put out stock, not including the factors of our POS stock bov's. sat the cars came with the T25, and with the 1g bov's. how much psi would we (2g's) be running at stock level? does it vary?

6.) do you have the bleed the brakes when changing the brake pads? if so or not, are there any other steps into changing brake pads, besides just changing them? (i do have a old haynes maunal for the 90-94 models when i had my 1.8 laser but it has alot of the same stuff)

7.) Automatic Tranny question-- what is the peak MPH we can achieve in "4th" gear. aka Overdrive. and suppose i am driving at 90MPH in an auto, and 90MPH in a manual. what are the rpms difference? and since autos lost a gear, so do they not go fast as teh manuals? (top speed) if it's gear ratios differences. then does our autos last longer through each gear?

8.) Would mis-aligned front tires hender anything? (besides the speeding up of wearness on the rubber)

9.) audio question- for 200 watt amps (crappy ones JENSEN) what gauge wire do i need for the 12v, Ground, and Remote?

10.) seeing that the fluids like the brake fluid, powersteering fluid never do really run out. do we actually drain them and change them? (aged fluid) or just keep adding when, if ever, they get low?

thats just 10. im hoping this will start ppl asking little stupid questions that might lead into bigger questions? yes, this is even for the adv dsmers. we all have little questions that we are afriad to ask. i hope someone will answer some, if at all any, my questions.

mavisky
11-20-2002, 10:39 PM
1. turbo lag is the time it takes the exhaust gases to spin the turbo fast enough to make boost.

2. not sure, my dad did it though, so it can't be too hard.

3.depends. in some cases it will get registered as knock and the engine will pull timing. shouldn't make you run either rich or lean.

4. hot air is cooled by the cool air surrounding it through a process called heat transfer.

5. the pressure would be controlled by either the ecu or an aftermarket boost controller. although i've heard 15psi spikes with a 1g bov.

6.no you don't HAVE to bleed the brakes, but its never a bad idea.

7.no clue on this one

8. it would affect handling. toe in will cause better turn in and toe out will promote better straight line stability (or maye that's switched)

9. for an amp that small you could run 1 guage wire to it. its not going to make that big of a difference. i ran a 400 watt amp off of 16 guage wire with no fuse for 2 years. (not advising it though)

10. eventually you should change them. i personally need to replace mine sometime. although i've already done clutch fluid once. i'm too busy stopping the other leaks my car has.

AWD Terror
11-21-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by sonnguyen
2.) how do you take off the stock air box in a 2g. hack? is it bolted?

Simple... the top is held in by four clips that you just lift up and off it comes. The bottom is bolted in by three or four screws that you can easily remove. It's really easy. :)

4.) An intercooler... how does it cool down the air? .... so, cooler air-denser air-better combustion, so more power?
Yes, cooler air is denser thus more power. An intercooler though just helps keep the air cold as it is returned from the turbo. The ambient temperature, in other words the "new" air getting sucked in is where you'll really notice that power difference if it's cooler to begin with.

5.) How much does the T25 put out stock, not including the factors of our POS stock bov's. say the cars came with the T25, and with the 1g bov's. how much psi would we (2g's) be running at stock level? does it vary?
Probably around 13-15 PSI if the stock 2G BOV didn't leak. How much should you be running depends on your mods, but there's no point boosting a T25 above 15 PSI.

More later...

Redsand187
11-21-2002, 08:49 PM
All the answers seem good, but I would like to add a little bit about fluids. It's standard to recomend replacement every 2 years, or pretty much every fluid. This is because of age break down. Coolant, brake, powersteering, tranny fluid... aren't designed to last forever. Old coolant does not protect from freezing as well, the lubrication properties wear down, which can lead to premature water pump failure. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. The higher the water content, the lower the boiling point, which leads to brake fade. Power steering fluid breaks down and can lead to pump failure, same with tranny fluid. And of course, blinker fluid evaporates quickly... :rolleyes: ;)

sonnguyen
11-22-2002, 04:05 AM
thanks guys. ok some more little questions before i start modding, if i ever freakin do.

1.) when buying a KN filter, (open air) specifically for my car. will it come with the MAS adaptor thing? and is that anything else i should get besides that for installation?

2.) what the hell is venting? leaving the little tube thing off?? so.. what makes it different? (performance wise) better? worse? does it just make it sound louder? (the bov) any risk involved?

3.) how do you know your turbo is "going bad". or does it just like die. signs and symptoms?

4.) when getting a whole different i/c. such as one from a supra or soemthing, front mount lets say, are those totally different piping techniques? which is better for quick going? front mount or side mount?

5.) where can i go about getting a used/cheap turbo spoiler off a 97-99 eclipse to put on my 95 talon? and what are the price ranges gonna be? any places besides dsmtrader?

6.) damnit, i want a sunroof. would it be like paying 1000+ for those?

7.) what is a downpipe? can i just go to a muffler shop and tell them to put one in? is it easily done through "do-it-yourself" type situations. what's the diameter you reccomnend?

8.) What do you guys think about Lucas Treatments, such as for oil gas or tranny. good stuff? or hender performance? any other lubes that you guys would recc. putting in my car?

9.)one time i was totally out of gas... and i only had 2 dollars but i HAD to make it to work that day (since we got paid the next day) so i went to the gas station. and decided to put in 89 (or something, the one before premium) gas in, JUST for that day. ran ok, i didnt WOT it or anything, would this of done any harm?

10.)why do automatics only go to 6500 for redline, and m/t to 7000. what if (if i got a bigger turbo) took my rpms to 7000 by manually shifting it? would this like destroy my tranny? since the fuel cut is the same for both cars right? no?

greenstreak
11-22-2002, 01:58 PM

1.) when buying a KN filter, (open air) specifically for my car. will it come with the MAS adaptor thing? and is that anything else i should get besides that for installation?

2.) what the hell is venting? leaving the little tube thing off?? so.. what makes it different? (performance wise) better? worse? does it just make it sound louder? (the bov) any risk involved?

3.) how do you know your turbo is "going bad". or does it just like die. signs and symptoms?

4.) when getting a whole different i/c. such as one from a supra or soemthing, front mount lets say, are those totally different piping techniques? which is better for quick going? front mount or side mount?

5.) where can i go about getting a used/cheap turbo spoiler off a 97-99 eclipse to put on my 95 talon? and what are the price ranges gonna be? any places besides dsmtrader?

6.) damnit, i want a sunroof. would it be like paying 1000+ for those?

7.) what is a downpipe? can i just go to a muffler shop and tell them to put one in? is it easily done through "do-it-yourself" type situations. what's the diameter you reccomnend?

8.) What do you guys think about Lucas Treatments, such as for oil gas or tranny. good stuff? or hender performance? any other lubes that you guys would recc. putting in my car?

9.)one time i was totally out of gas... and i only had 2 dollars but i HAD to make it to work that day (since we got paid the next day) so i went to the gas station. and decided to put in 89 (or something, the one before premium) gas in, JUST for that day. ran ok, i didnt WOT it or anything, would this of done any harm?

10.)why do automatics only go to 6500 for redline, and m/t to 7000. what if (if i got a bigger turbo) took my rpms to 7000 by manually shifting it? would this like destroy my tranny? since the fuel cut is the same for both cars right? no?

1. Yes, if you buy the kit specifically made for the 2G DSM then it will come with the MAS adapter.

2. Venting is letting the discharged air from the blow off valve exit to the atmosphere. This is done by removing the tube that directs the air back into the intake and capping off the hole on the intake tube.

3. Signs of a bad turbo include shaft play (in and out and/or up and down), or passing oil through the seals. Ends up being burnt and exiting through the exhaust.

4. Unless the different intercooler is made to bolt up to the stock piping locations you will have to modify the routing of the pipes to the new intercooler. Most prefabbed kits bolt up to the existing upper intercooler pipe. MKIV sidemounts can be made to work with only slight modifications to the existing pipes.

5. www.dsmtrader.com or www.thepartstrader.com

7. The downpipe is the section of exhaust between the O2 housing and the catalytic convertor. It is not a piece easily made on your own because it is tough to get the angle correct to make sure there is no rubbing or interference under the car. Most street applications are better suited to a 2.5" diameter downpipe.

8. Never heard of it.

9. Prob. couldn't have harmed anything, especially since you didn't stomp on it. Bad gas can trigger knock resulting in pulled timing resulting in poor performance.

10. Sorry, don't know jack about autos.

scotthidley
11-22-2002, 02:15 PM
I think I remember reading of a mich members car doing 90 in 2nd before it shifts to 3rd (referring to your automatic question 7). This car of course redlines at 10k. For figuring gear maxing if you can't go to a track, note the speed at ~3500 rpm and double it (that'll be a good ball park, since your redline is slightly higher).

91eclipsegsx16boy
11-22-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by scotthidley
I think I remember reading of a mich members car doing 90 in 2nd before it shifts to 3rd (referring to your automatic question 7). This car of course redlines at 10k. For figuring gear maxing if you can't go to a track, note the speed at ~3500 rpm and double it (that'll be a good ball park, since your redline is slightly higher).

Kevin? ;)

-aaron

AWD Terror
11-24-2002, 12:29 PM
sonnguyen - you have a lot of questions. I suggest you spend some time reading up at the 1000 Already Answered Question's website --> http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/

coligan
11-24-2002, 08:28 PM

I too have this same question. I have searched and didn't really find much on it. I am interested in it because at 7-8 bucks it would be cheaper to use this and regular tranyy oil rather than bg, gm, or redline ( I am a very poor college student, and all the other repairs on my dsm continue to make me poorer) So does anybody no what is up with this stuff, is lucas and regular oil jsut as good as the gm, etc. or should i just use gm, what about gm and lucas?

scotthidley
11-25-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by 91eclipsegsx16boy

Kevin? ;)

-aaron

Yep, Gusway is the only other auto around here that I can think of. Nice nose on your ride, I've never seen that one before.:)

-Boost_krazy-
11-25-2002, 11:19 AM
[B]

4.) An intercooler... how does it cool down the air? (my theory... air goes from the turbo (which is warmed right?) and is sent through the lower intercooler pipe, then through the intercooler, which at the same time air is flowing through it real fast, which in essence cools down the air, like ram air? then through the UICP then into the throttle body. so, cooler air-denser air-better combustion, so more power?

http://www.howstuffworks.com/turbo4.htm

[B]

7.) Automatic Tranny question-- what is the peak MPH we can achieve in "4th" gear. aka Overdrive. and suppose i am driving at 90MPH in an auto, and 90MPH in a manual. what are the rpms difference? and since autos lost a gear, so do they not go fast as teh manuals? (top speed) if it's gear ratios differences. then does our autos last longer through each gear?

I'm pretty sure that's in the manual.

[B]
9.) audio question- for 200 watt amps (crappy ones JENSEN) what gauge wire do i need for the 12v, Ground, and Remote?

12v.. 8 or 10 awg would be fine. Ground is about the same. Remote (as in signal) doesnt really matter.

acidikjuice
11-28-2002, 09:51 AM
About the amp. just go to wal mart and get the $12 amp install kit. it uses 8 gauge wires and comes with everything you'll need to hook up that amp. but becareful, don't look at anthing else there, just get the wires and run for your life, you don't want to be seen there ;) ... no but really, for your job this kit will hit the spot cheaply. if you ever plan on going bigger with the system, 8 Ga wire should support about 500 watts. if you plan on going bigger 4 Ga wire will do (that would be the $22 kit at wal mart). running wires is easy, but why do it 2 or 3 times? :cool: