What is this gauge? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: What is this gauge?

Wiggy44k
11-30-2002, 10:09 AM
Hey all, I have seen a lot of these gauges in the Eclipse's I have looked at, and I am wondering what it is. Here is a picture I have with on in it.

The big circle gauge that is near the A-pillar.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/212000-212999/212001_17_full.jpg

I am a newbie when it comes to engine and gauges (obviously), so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hobbes =^.^=
11-30-2002, 10:34 AM
That is the Tach. Another gauge that measures your RPMs. You don't really need one unless you like the looks of one or for show.

infury
11-30-2002, 10:34 AM
I believe its a tach.

^^bah. beat me to it

Wiggy44k
11-30-2002, 11:31 AM
Ok. How do you hook it up? Is it just a bigger tachometer?

Also, where can I get one from?

Blackboost
11-30-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Wiggy44k
Ok. How do you hook it up? Is it just a bigger tachometer?

Also, where can I get one from?

Search the Parts Talk Forum for info on how to install that TACH. You can get one of those from most parts Vendors. Take a look at any of the shops that are under the vendor list.

BUCK ROGERS
11-30-2002, 03:29 PM
That would be his rice gauge - fully pegged.

kpt4321
12-01-2002, 09:57 PM
It's a second tach, and you don't need one. Get gauges that will actually tell you what is happening inside the engine, not gauges that will tell you the exact same thing you can see on the factory gauge panel.

Blackboost
12-01-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by kpt4321
It's a second tach, and you don't need one. Get gauges that will actually tell you what is happening inside the engine, not gauges that will tell you the exact same thing you can see on the factory gauge panel.

Word :scholar:

Quadcylla
12-02-2002, 07:55 AM
"That would be his rice gauge - fully pegged."

Damn you beat me to it :D

AluH20
12-02-2002, 04:09 PM
Exactly what everyone's said already. It's an aftermarket tach that just has a needle reading your RPM's like the tach next to your speedometer. If you look to the left you'll see a yellow piece attached to the gauge.

That's a shift light. You tell it when to light up by turning the car off- then turning a little dial on that big tach gauge which brings the needle up to whatever RPM you want it- then turn the car back on and the needle drops. If you want the light to come on at 7,000 RPM you turn the car off and turn the dial on the gauge (you can't see it in the pic since it's on the other side) which will bring the needle up past 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, all the way to 7 and set it there. Turn the key and start the car up and the needle drops down and just acts like a normal tach.

When you reach 7,000 RPM then that light attached to the gauge will blare a big yellow beam of light into your face and let you know you can shift.

They do sell "just the light" if you don't want that gauge blocking your view hehe (and I wouldn't blame you!).