420a question [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: 420a question

Domeskilla
12-05-2002, 12:48 PM
Here is a n00b question i'm sure is asked 5 times a day. But i just purchased a black 96 rs 5-speed with 100k on it and i am wanting to do a 420a swap. Where are these motors found? What all do i need and is it gonna be hard? How much fabbing? I use to own a honda and i'm use to almost anything just bolting up. :)

Thanks

venom42
12-05-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Domeskilla
...i am wanting to do a 420a swap. Where are these motors found?
Under your hood :D . Do you mean a 4G63 (the Mitsu engine found in all of the turbo DSM's and some of the non-turbo 1G)? The 420a is the Chrysler engine found in the 1995-99 non turbo cars.

stevo
12-05-2002, 02:54 PM
Nice! A 420a swap into a 2G NT. :P

I think you also ment the 4G63...It takes a lot of custom work to put a 4G63 into a 2G NT. You will be a lot better off just selling/trading your car in for a 2G turbo.

Domeskilla
12-05-2002, 03:17 PM
No i meant the 420a.. i didn't know it was in there b/c another 2g board i goto said in their FAQ's about noobs asking over and over about swaping the 420a in.. So i wasn't sure. Sry for the stupid ass questiong :D ... Nah, i dont wanna swap a 4G63..

<-- feels like a fucktard.

infury
12-05-2002, 03:54 PM
lol that would be a tough swap.
Well first you'd have to go out and open your hood, then stare for a while, then read the tag that says it's a 420A and you're set.
I hear the hood part can be a bitch because of that latch. But I've heard some people can get it.
:)

streetlethal976
12-05-2002, 04:14 PM
So what exactly did you want to do? Swap a 420a into an RS? I don't get it :confused:

Domeskilla
12-05-2002, 04:24 PM
Well from what i have gathered with my 3 days of having my 2G.. I haven't quite gotten the open the hood thing down. I need to practice a little longer. Infact i never even opened it yet.. Before i bought it, the shop checked it out.

Well.. I dont know what my choices for a good engine to mod is. I dont have a gs-t or gsx.. so the 4g63 is out of the question. I want something able of producing around 400 or so whp when i'm done. Yes boost will be on there soon. Will this motor be able to produce good numbers or what ARE my choices?

venom42
12-05-2002, 11:15 PM
Be nice guys - he is trying to learn.

The 420a in your car is essentially the same engine that comes in the Neon. I am sure we have all seen the nasty all motor Neons that do well in the import drag scene. However, to do it N/A means spending BIG money. I believe that there are some people producing respectable numbers with turbo'd 420a's, but methinks you are going to incur as much cost to do this as you would to just drop a used 4G63 in there. The 4G63 is one of the most notoriously over-engineered and overbuilt 4 cyl. engines in the world. Not many engines can support the kind of power and boost that a 4G63 can on its stock internals. The Nissan SR20 is about the only other one that immediately comes to mind. Do not misunderstand - it is not indestructable (ask around this board!) with improper tuning. That said, if you choose to turbo the 420a, I think there are some guys on this board that can help you. I also belive Star Performance (anyone else help out here?) offers a bolt on turbo kit for the 420a. Hope that helps.

Blackboost
12-05-2002, 11:31 PM
If you want to learn a lot more of the 420A engine, feel free to look around the NT Forum. I am sure you'll all the info your looking for on modifying that engine.

Welcome to the board!!!

ECLIPSED4203
12-06-2002, 08:05 AM
i love the Nissan SR-20, but it's aluminum block, so i'll stick with my 4g63, even though this car hates me. what is the actual difference between the 4g63 and the 420a motors?

Domeskilla
12-06-2002, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the replys.. How hard and would mods to the engine bay would be required to stick the 4g63 in the car? I can get the swap for decent price. I didn't really wanna stay with the 420, but heard its just to much of a mess to make the 4g63 fit, but if it can lay down better numbers.. i will go through what it takes..

btw.. not all the sr20det's are aluminum.. I believe i seen one that wasnt.. it was listed on afterdark-tuning.com but the site is down for updates. So i'm not sure.

infury
12-06-2002, 09:15 AM
if you want info on a 4g63 swap try a search. there have been quite a few indepth topics about what is needed and what process it would take. It's not simple, so most people would consider selling their cars to buy a turbo dsm.