Radiator fans won't turn on [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Radiator fans won't turn on

ECLIPSED4203
12-09-2002, 08:28 AM
for some odd reason, my radiator fans refuse to turn on. on the driver's side fan, where there is an electrical connection, it looks like there are some sort of contacts that are bent up. could this be the problem, and if so, what is that part called so i can get a new one.

venom42
12-09-2002, 08:04 PM
While I do not know, you may try going to www.partznet.com and seeing if you can look it up.

okey chuck
12-10-2002, 01:46 AM
check fuses..those can go out pretty easily.

ECLIPSED4203
12-10-2002, 08:07 AM
as an electrician, the fuses were the first thing i checked. that was not the problem.

92tsiawd84
12-10-2002, 09:28 PM
This problem happened to me. Neither would work. The fans are not controlled by fuses but by relays. On mine, the relay was bad. I figured this out by jumping the circuit by a paperclip. Dodge dealers charge $25.00 for the part but I picked up 5 at a junkyard for free after buying a rear wiper motor for $25.00. The fans do not always run when the car is started. They turn on when the coolant reaches a certain temp. I replaced the relay then one fan (right) turned on while the left didn't. Then after a minute the left one turned on. They both opperate independently so one can go on while the other doesn't. This is what I experienced. hope it helps you.

ECLIPSED4203
12-11-2002, 08:16 AM
the fans do have a fuse at the battery. i'll pull the relays tonight and test them. i'm also gettin a new driver side fan from a friend. its the one with the contacts, he thinks the contacts are my problem. i hope to get this fixed along with my waterpump so my car wont overheat. my fans are hardwired right now and im sick of leaving the switch on and draining my battery and straining my alternator.