New to DSM [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: New to DSM

YAREMASI
12-11-2002, 10:51 AM
I am new to DSM and turbo cars. I just got a 99 spyder GST. I need some help as to where to start. I would like to run low 13's to high 12's. Please help.

autoxr37
12-11-2002, 11:02 AM
Well, lucky for you there is lots of info out there about this. For instance, the latest issue of Sports Compact Car has a nice 10pg or so tuning guide for the 4G63. Also, you can check out this page on RR engineering's website. Walks you through a 2g upgrade path.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/2gupgradepath.htm

Backfired
12-11-2002, 11:10 AM
Everyone you ask will tell you the same starting mods such as:
-free mods (search)
-filter
-boost guage and controller
-DP and cat-back, etc..

Getting into 12's will be no simple task, but anything can happen with our motors:D After the basics, go for a new turbo. The T-25 didnt even hit puberty yet. Your car will get some balls with a bigger turbo.

autoxr37
12-11-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Backfired
Getting into 12's will be no simple task

It sure isn't. You've got your work cut out for you. In an AWD DSM it takes a good amount of work. In a FWD you need more power and need to be a hell of a driver. Good luck:) . I'm with you on your quest though, as my GS-T is about a month old and i'm already dying to get into the 13's. Too bad I have to wait 5 more months to try. Stupid snow...:(

YAREMASI
12-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the info. It just seems like everyone I talk to tells me a different path.

Apocalypse
12-11-2002, 01:35 PM
Thats cause there are many paths that lead to the same place, and all are different young Skywalker. Wanna know the shortest path? Go buy a 12 second eclipse. Other than that, it all comes down to your wallet....

AWD Terror
12-11-2002, 03:26 PM
Visit these helpful websites-
http://2g.dsm.org
http://1000q.dsm.org
http://www.vfaq.com
http://gandalf.la.psu.edu/cinder/ (The 2G Newbie guide!)

and our own stuff here too -

First mods -
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7944

Free mods -
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7943

jap drifter
01-08-2003, 03:05 PM
www.plymouthlaser.com has lots of good stuff (he bought a 2g so im sure he will add more 2g articles in the near future)

99dsmpower
03-10-2003, 11:08 AM
welcome dude! i've been away from this site in the longest time but decided to return. anyways, start out with your basic mods, parts aren't cheap either, depending on where you get them! happy tuning!!:rice:

97GS-Toy
05-14-2003, 10:05 AM
I also own a 2G GS-T, and I'm also pretty new at this. Here's a few things I've found thus far:

- Keep in mind that the serious mods make your car illegal, usually in an emissions sense. I don't know how you feel about it, but it may be something to consider. Try a search of 'emissions', 'legal', etc. There's a lot of info here.

- In order to use the power you create on a FWD, I (and many) would recommend a limited slip differential (LSD). Quaife makes the best one, but it's also the most expensive. I have one and can vouch for its benefits. Traction is better and torque-steer is all but elliminated.

- When modding, many will suggest working from the outside in. In stock form, the turbo can't breathe the way it would like to, so adding better flowing intake and exhaust parts is a good place to start. Then, when the turbo is free, you can start pushing it (higher psi) and feeding it more (more fuel). When you've maxed the turbo out, it's time to consider a bigger one. From there, it comes down to tuning. The various upgrade paths you will find may vary, but they all have this basic idea in mind.

- Consider upgrades to suspension and braking as well. You'll want to have a firm control over your new-found power. There's a whole forum here dedicated to it.

Well, that's about it in a nutshell. Keep in mind I'm relatively new here, so my advise may not be completely sound.

greenstreak
05-21-2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by 97GS-Toy
I also own a 2G GS-T, and I'm also pretty new at this. Here's a few things I've found thus far:

- Keep in mind that the serious mods make your car illegal, usually in an emissions sense. I don't know how you feel about it, but it may be something to consider. Try a search of 'emissions', 'legal', etc. There's a lot of info here.

- In order to use the power you create on a FWD, I (and many) would recommend a limited slip differential (LSD). Quaife makes the best one, but it's also the most expensive. I have one and can vouch for its benefits. Traction is better and torque-steer is all but elliminated.

- When modding, many will suggest working from the outside in. In stock form, the turbo can't breathe the way it would like to, so adding better flowing intake and exhaust parts is a good place to start. Then, when the turbo is free, you can start pushing it (higher psi) and feeding it more (more fuel). When you've maxed the turbo out, it's time to consider a bigger one. From there, it comes down to tuning. The various upgrade paths you will find may vary, but they all have this basic idea in mind.

- Consider upgrades to suspension and braking as well. You'll want to have a firm control over your new-found power. There's a whole forum here dedicated to it.

Well, that's about it in a nutshell. Keep in mind I'm relatively new here, so my advise may not be completely sound.

Pretty damn good for a DSM newb. ;)

btm7687
10-16-2003, 06:47 PM
get a boost controller, intercooler, bov, wastegate, bigger turbo, fmu, gauges....LOTS OF GOOOOOOD TUNING!!!!! a stock 2g gsx ran a 13.X 1/4 mile w/ just a boost controller. its the car on the cover of sport compact car that i believe is still on newsstands so check it out if you dont believe me

epik_x
12-03-2003, 03:11 PM
www.dsmtuners.com looks on 1g tuning section, it will tell you of the free mods and other upgrades

hack_a_gibson
01-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by btm7687
get a boost controller, intercooler, bov, wastegate, bigger turbo, fmu, gauges....LOTS OF GOOOOOOD TUNING!!!!!

You're really jumping the gun here. There are tons of things needed before some of these mods (i.e. wastegate, intercooler, fmu(?) ). This information, although somewhat correct, should not really be followed.

Stick to an upgrade path listed above. Some of them overlap, which you'll notice.

Remember: the first mod should always be a tune-up, no matter what year the dsm.

t4cyclone TSI
04-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Which ever way you decide to take just remember no car will last forever and everyone has problems with their cars. The better you treat them the better they will run, the longer they will run, and the smoother they will run. And remember when it comes to racing everyone has their 15 seconds of fame. Good luck with your car.

emilioraceer1
05-14-2005, 08:02 PM
whats up this emilio once more with my quet,how to install a boost gauge ,air/fuel,iol temp,or water temp on a 95 GSX at thank

emilioraeer@dsmtalk.com

Chicago_DSM
06-03-2005, 08:15 PM
seriously, why do you people respond to these threads from 2+ years ago...This guy probably either sold the car already or has been running 12's for the last couple years...What's the point in reviving old threads?

xem1x
06-03-2005, 08:53 PM
seriously, why do you people respond to these threads from 2+ years ago...This guy probably either sold the car already or has been running 12's for the last couple years...What's the point in reviving old threads?

Happening quite frequently... I don't get it.. :confused:

hiimt0ny
08-11-2005, 02:28 AM
hope you have money...

GSTjuice
08-11-2005, 11:48 AM
I luv my 98 GST, as they talked about before, make sure u get that boost gauge...a good good one, like autometer...switch from a bad gauge to that and found that it was spiking way too high. Just got the test pipe, sounds nice and nice little increase..

Johns_92_Laser
08-23-2005, 11:42 PM
I'll save you a lot of time and money, learn from me no mods are needed and take it to a shop for all the repairs it needs

redtalon
09-04-2005, 01:36 PM
I am brand new to this forum. I only bought my 1995 Eagle Talon about two weeks ago. I have always loved the style and lines of the Talon and can't wait to get into a community with others who love the same car.

I am not that into Drag Racing, but I do like to have a quick car, in the 0-60 aspect of it. I am looking into putting a Cold Air Intake on my car, but I have some questions about where to put the Air Pump Check Valve hose when I take out the stock air box. The CAI I bought doesn't have a spot for it. I was wondering if that Air Pump Check Valve is even necessary and if I shouldn't just seal it off cause its probably just for emissions anyways.

But yeah I am glad to be here and hope to hear from all of you soon. Thanks again for letting me join up. Its going to be fun...

Michael

BoostnBlueMitsu
09-17-2005, 11:57 PM
hey guys i`m steven and i`m in tampa, florida....just bought my first DSM, a 1997 GS-T with a sony cd player......shaved door handles (the shaved door handles were actually done by the previous owner of my car) and a DVD player with an in-dash tv moniter but i have no engine mods done as of yet, but i`m starting to REALLY like this car. i just joined DSMtalk to try to find out as much info on my car as possible. but i did have a couple of questions

-whats the stock psi ?
-when i lower my car...what should i go with? coilovers? or springs? (i`m looking for an even drop..not the lightly raked look.)
-and also.....im going to put an intake on my car...which brand do you all recommend? is there a popular brand that everyone likes?

thanx guys im sure i`ll get some useful info from this site :D

gotboostsi
10-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Hi, my name is brent. I have posted 2 posts around here since ive joined this past week. As of now,my daily driver is a cavalier, which if anyone wants to see, it is at the link: www.cardomain.com/id/cavi_driver_ba

I bought my Eagle Talon Tsi a couple of weeks ago for $500. Which is a really good deal. It will drive, the turbo just needs replacing/fixing and the syncros need to be fixed for 2nd gear in the tranny. Do tranny shops charge alot to do this? That's the only thing i'll need a shop for because I dont know much about awd transmissions. I guess when I have that fixed, ill have the transmission guys throw me a centerforce clutch or some brand up in there while their at it. Im starting to learn about these turbo engines because I wanted to get to know how to do different types of engines. Ive been really into domestics lately, until I leanred that DSMs have so much potential. Ill be driving my cavalier until I get my talon running like I want it. The head is already port/polished.

Things I want to do: Engine:cams, timing gears, fuel injectors, rods, bearings, replace all gaskets. All bottom end basically. I guess after that, ill put the factory turbo back on, then sell my cavalier and use that remaining money to go towards my turbo. Would doing the internals make it run much better? I work at Advance, so maybe I can get parts for cheap with my discount. Ill post pics of my talon as soon as i get a new digi camera.

Rodrob
10-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Great choices gentlemen you won't regret it welcome to the brotherhood

EngineBuilder
02-11-2006, 01:32 AM
I am looking into putting a Cold Air Intake on my car, but I have some questions about where to put the Air Pump Check Valve hose when I take out the stock air box.

This is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation "PCV" Valve. It allows any pressure that builds up in your crankcase to escape, without doing damage to the valve cover gasket or other various seals throughout the engine. It is not reccomended to simply plug it off, rather you should install an "Oil Catch Can".
If you deal with emissions testing, you will be required to route that back into your intake.

-EngineBuilder

PS- the items in quotations are potential search terms for you to do some research with.

bigrod
02-15-2006, 04:13 AM
My thought exactly. If the guy still owns the car I hope he is in the 12's by now. He would have owned the thing for 3 years by now.

JungulSouljah
02-20-2006, 12:27 PM
I'll save you a lot of time and money, learn from me no mods are needed and take it to a shop for all the repairs it needs
LMAO :rolleyes:

ixsaves13
03-28-2006, 12:29 AM
I've been going through the same thing with how / what to upgrade on my 1G 90' TSI AWD... So far it's been

16G turbo
Intake piping / K&N air box
Straight piping in the exhaust section

Waiting on ... Boost controller / Walbro 255 fuel pump

And possibly a hks vpc / injectors / slowboyracing fmic

Can't wait to get it all installed...

MyBoostedGST
07-10-2006, 12:46 AM
It just shows that people know how to use the search button. :D

At least some are learning.

jross1038
07-26-2006, 04:28 PM
save your money cuz these cars will make you spend it

2gGS_TSpyder
11-29-2006, 06:10 PM
I am new to DSM and turbo cars. I just got a 99 spyder GST. I need some help as to where to start. I would like to run low 13's to high 12's. Please help.

I would start with taking that thing to mitsu and making sure you dont have a block susceptible to crank-walk.IF you do, I would invest in a 6 bolt 4g63t and Build it.Dont beat on the car until you find out if your block has crankwalk.Its a recall so they will replace the bearing for free..But Iwould still invest inthe 6 bolt and jsut build it.

and I jsut noticed how old this is..lol

spool-n-tsi
12-30-2006, 07:46 PM
im new to the forum scene, i have a 90 talon fwd its been in the shop for a while and i need help finding the right fmic for my sbr 20g turbo i need the mas translater and 3" intake pipe also

burton1250
03-04-2007, 12:19 AM
wow nice

TurboEclipse97
04-24-2007, 12:08 PM
hey my name is Jesus im new to the dsm comunity too i have a 99 Gsx auto all stock even the stereo lol well my next mods are boost gauge and manual boost controler then intake and exhaust then from there hope it goes good

Matemorh
01-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Just tought I introduce myself... after a week of reading and searching!

I'm looking to buy a Talon 98 TSi AWD with 150k KM. Any advice or specific thing (problem) to look for?!?!?

I won't modded her a lot, maybe just bring her to 250HP and improving handling.

I currently own a 99 V6 cougar with some mod but HP cost an arm and a leg on those car :eek: and I love the AWD idea :)

Sheriff
02-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi all, this isn't my first post but am still very new here. I wanted to get your opinon on something. As you all might already have seen, I have an 1.8 1G and was wondering what sort of up grades I can do to her to gain hp. I am not looking for a race car. Just to get Her a little respect. Also, bieng a 1.8 and not planning on doing an engine swap, would money be better invested to make Her a show car? This is, however, my daily comute so any inpute would be much apriciated.

Thanks all,
A1C Schott

josh_deboard
02-15-2008, 07:46 PM
iam new to the dsm's. i use to own a all-trac..but still kinda new to the whole turbo thing! i got a 95 talon tsi.fwd. all i have done to it is i put a boost gauge on it. and it had a k&n on it when i got it. i gots a whole lotta questions..when i gun the car the boost starts out at about 14psi, then the higher the rpms, the more it drops, untill about 10 pounds, no leaks that i found YET, any guess's?..thanks

murtaza666
02-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Only true way to find a leak is to make a boost leak tester and then check for leaks. There is a vfaq on how to make one and cost under $5

giganews35
02-15-2008, 09:54 PM
WTF is this the INTRO thread?

IT went from 2002 to 03 then 04 then 05, 06....shit its 2008 and people are still introducing themselves lol LAME!

murtaza666
02-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Wow I didnt even realize that this thread was started back in 2002!

dg9s1xm
07-07-2008, 07:36 PM
welcome.

4_fingered_GST
07-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Pretty much what they all said, Welcome, and enjoy your stay....:D

MLutin
07-07-2008, 08:03 PM
wow, pretty much keep diggin up threads from 02

Don Boosted
07-07-2008, 08:12 PM
iam new to the dsm's. i use to own a all-trac..but still kinda new to the whole turbo thing! i got a 95 talon tsi.fwd. all i have done to it is i put a boost gauge on it. and it had a k&n on it when i got it. i gots a whole lotta questions..when i gun the car the boost starts out at about 14psi, then the higher the rpms, the more it drops, untill about 10 pounds, no leaks that i found YET, any guess's?..thanks

It's perfectly ok. T25s don't like to hold power all the way through the powerband. But while you're here read the link in my sig! It'll help you out a little as far as upgrades go. Also, please try to use proper capitalization, I'm sure you'll hear it from someone anyway. Oh, and be sure to check out vfaq.com, it's filled with endless good info.

EDIT: Man did I turn out to be a piece of shit, that comment was from February. STOP DIGGING UP OLD THREADS MUTHATRUCKAS!!!

LaceyBee
07-21-2008, 12:33 AM
hey i'm new to the forum and new to dsm. i don't even have one yet but i'm planning on it in the future. So if anyone has any advice or whatever...don't hesitate to pass it on. :)

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-24-2008, 10:10 PM
hey i'm new to the forum and new to dsm. i don't even have one yet but i'm planning on it in the future. So if anyone has any advice or whatever...don't hesitate to pass it on. :)

Pics or ban! :P

Don Boosted
07-25-2008, 12:55 AM

Yes, I have some advice. Read the link in my sig, please try to use proper capitalization and grammar, and post pics. :D

cmspaz
07-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Pics or ban! :P
+1

TeCkNoGoD
09-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I just bought a 2g Eclipse gs-t spyder and want to do a few cheap mods to increase performance a bit. So far Ive ordered the adapter so I can do away with the stock air box and replace with 3" cone filter. Also I ordered a manual boost controller. Ontop of that Ive been given an EVO blowoff valve which I intend to install very soon, as ive heard that the stock 2g eclipse bov is pathetic. Anyhow my biggest question is what kind of safe boost levels can I push with the stock motor\fuel pump\injectors\turbo, etc.... I was thinking 10-12psi? Basically I was gonna slap the manual boost controller in and bump it up to aroud 10 at first and then go for 12 if all seemed ok. Any input here? I am pretty uneasy about doing this because I want to make sure that at those boost levels the oem equiptment will support it and not get destroyed.

cmspaz
09-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Evo BOV is still more leaky than the 1g BOV. I'd sell that off to someone who doesn't know any better and pick up a 1g BOV.

rayg86
11-14-2008, 04:06 PM
well no body wants to talk to me about my car anybody there

angelus
01-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi i'm new to the forum but not dsms. I've been lurking for awhile soaking up the knowledge and I have to say it is an awesome place for fellow owners to learn things.

Jake

turbostellar
02-14-2009, 08:44 PM
woot

turbostellar
02-14-2009, 08:46 PM
oh finally it posts, didnt expect that, anyways im new. im going a different route with my car, its an old rwd hyundai stellar that i am doing a rwd 4g63t swap to

Ghettodsm91
02-14-2009, 09:17 PM
I had to google wtf a hyundai stellar is lol, talk about a sleeper! I want do the same to a mighty max/d50! RWD and 4G63 sounds like fun!

According to wiki(which we know is always right haha) they came with an 8v 4g63 and multiple varients of the 4g?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Stellar

Crazy!

turbostellar
02-14-2009, 09:38 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2386274 thats my car there, obviously i need some update pics but it lets you guys see what it looks like

omidg89
12-03-2009, 08:00 PM
I ve been on the forums for two years, not many post though i still can't show classified section?! any help?

Camdenite Talon
12-16-2009, 03:16 AM
Why can I not view the classifieds or do anything thing else on here? I am ready to get answers on our 94 Eagle Talon but don't know how these forums work.

cAPSlOCK97gst
12-16-2009, 08:24 AM
I ve been on the forums for two years, not many post though i still can't show classified section?! any help?

Why can I not view the classifieds or do anything thing else on here? I am ready to get answers on our 94 Eagle Talon but don't know how these forums work.

You need a certain amount of Tech posts before access is granted.

a_ahmed
12-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Hello guys im new.

Wanted one since high school. Got one as a winter car lol. I have a 240sx track car in the summer as well but not turbo. I can still spank tons of cars hoping to go for an ls1+t56 swap though ;)

Onto my 97 eagle talon tsi awd... its awesome but needs some work :( Check my thread and help me out!

CrackedDSM
12-16-2009, 08:32 AM

You need to have been a member for 90 days, and have 50 USEFUL Tech posts. Spam, or etc, will be met with a quick ban.

I have a 240sx track car in the summer as well but not turbo. I can still spank tons of cars

Details on the 240 that makes it so quick? Do you have an LS1 in it or something?

cAPSlOCK97gst
12-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Details on the 240 that makes it so quick? Do you have an LS1 in it or something?

He's spanking cars that aren't actually racing against him.

:burnout:

CrackedDSM
12-16-2009, 10:41 AM
He's spanking cars that aren't actually racing against him.

:burnout:

I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. He could have an LS1 in it...

But I doubt it. ;)

cAPSlOCK97gst
12-16-2009, 10:51 AM
I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. He could have an LS1 in it...

But I doubt it. ;)

Wanted one since high school. Got one as a winter car lol. I have a 240sx track car in the summer as well but not turbo. I can still spank tons of cars hoping to go for an ls1+t56 swap though ;)

Guess not yet...

A_ahmed, not trying to rag on you, but there's really no point in bragging how fast your NT 240sx is when 99.999% of running turbo DSMs on this site are faster. :dunno:

18WiThAnEcLiPsE
09-24-2010, 06:19 PM
question...im of the forgotten 420a...97 eclipse rs 2.0 dohc....my engine started knocking yest...my local speed shop told me i could have spun a bearing in the engine or i could have blown my oil pump...im not gonna lie ive treated my car like crap recently...i revved it pretty high yest afternoon trying to be kool like a genius...=/and now the rod knocks pretty hard...can anybody maybe further the information that my mechanics given me? any possible ways of fixing this heavy knock? i want to take the cheapest way possible first i dont really want to drop a new engine into it...get back to me asap anybody!

MyBoostedGST
09-24-2010, 06:55 PM
It just shows that people know how to use the search button. :D

At least some are learning.
This is a post I made, in this very thread, over 4 years ago. It is amazing how time changes a person.

Why is this thread still alive?

HOT97ECLIPSEGSX
11-07-2010, 04:41 PM
I believe this thread should have been unstuck a long time ago heh.