DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New to DSM

22K views 67 replies 57 participants last post by  HOT97ECLIPSEGSX 
#1 ·
I am new to DSM and turbo cars. I just got a 99 spyder GST. I need some help as to where to start. I would like to run low 13's to high 12's. Please help.

#2 ·
Well, lucky for you there is lots of info out there about this. For instance, the latest issue of Sports Compact Car has a nice 10pg or so tuning guide for the 4G63. Also, you can check out this page on RR engineering's website. Walks you through a 2g upgrade path.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/2gupgradepath.htm

#3 ·
Everyone you ask will tell you the same starting mods such as:
-free mods (search)
-filter
-boost guage and controller
-DP and cat-back, etc..

Getting into 12's will be no simple task, but anything can happen with our motors:D After the basics, go for a new turbo. The T-25 didnt even hit puberty yet. Your car will get some balls with a bigger turbo.

#4 ·
Backfired said:
Getting into 12's will be no simple task
It sure isn't. You've got your work cut out for you. In an AWD DSM it takes a good amount of work. In a FWD you need more power and need to be a hell of a driver. Good luck:) . I'm with you on your quest though, as my GS-T is about a month old and i'm already dying to get into the 13's. Too bad I have to wait 5 more months to try. Stupid snow...:(

#10 ·
Also in your boat...

I also own a 2G GS-T, and I'm also pretty new at this. Here's a few things I've found thus far:

- Keep in mind that the serious mods make your car illegal, usually in an emissions sense. I don't know how you feel about it, but it may be something to consider. Try a search of 'emissions', 'legal', etc. There's a lot of info here.

- In order to use the power you create on a FWD, I (and many) would recommend a limited slip differential (LSD). Quaife makes the best one, but it's also the most expensive. I have one and can vouch for its benefits. Traction is better and torque-steer is all but elliminated.

- When modding, many will suggest working from the outside in. In stock form, the turbo can't breathe the way it would like to, so adding better flowing intake and exhaust parts is a good place to start. Then, when the turbo is free, you can start pushing it (higher psi) and feeding it more (more fuel). When you've maxed the turbo out, it's time to consider a bigger one. From there, it comes down to tuning. The various upgrade paths you will find may vary, but they all have this basic idea in mind.

- Consider upgrades to suspension and braking as well. You'll want to have a firm control over your new-found power. There's a whole forum here dedicated to it.

Well, that's about it in a nutshell. Keep in mind I'm relatively new here, so my advise may not be completely sound.

#11 ·
Re: Also in your boat...

97GS-Toy said:
I also own a 2G GS-T, and I'm also pretty new at this. Here's a few things I've found thus far:

- Keep in mind that the serious mods make your car illegal, usually in an emissions sense. I don't know how you feel about it, but it may be something to consider. Try a search of 'emissions', 'legal', etc. There's a lot of info here.

- In order to use the power you create on a FWD, I (and many) would recommend a limited slip differential (LSD). Quaife makes the best one, but it's also the most expensive. I have one and can vouch for its benefits. Traction is better and torque-steer is all but elliminated.

- When modding, many will suggest working from the outside in. In stock form, the turbo can't breathe the way it would like to, so adding better flowing intake and exhaust parts is a good place to start. Then, when the turbo is free, you can start pushing it (higher psi) and feeding it more (more fuel). When you've maxed the turbo out, it's time to consider a bigger one. From there, it comes down to tuning. The various upgrade paths you will find may vary, but they all have this basic idea in mind.

- Consider upgrades to suspension and braking as well. You'll want to have a firm control over your new-found power. There's a whole forum here dedicated to it.

Well, that's about it in a nutshell. Keep in mind I'm relatively new here, so my advise may not be completely sound.
Pretty damn good for a DSM newb. ;)

#12 ·
get a boost controller, intercooler, bov, wastegate, bigger turbo, fmu, gauges....LOTS OF GOOOOOOD TUNING!!!!! a stock 2g gsx ran a 13.X 1/4 mile w/ just a boost controller. its the car on the cover of sport compact car that i believe is still on newsstands so check it out if you dont believe me

#14 ·
btm7687 said:
get a boost controller, intercooler, bov, wastegate, bigger turbo, fmu, gauges....LOTS OF GOOOOOOD TUNING!!!!!
You're really jumping the gun here. There are tons of things needed before some of these mods (i.e. wastegate, intercooler, fmu(?) ). This information, although somewhat correct, should not really be followed.

Stick to an upgrade path listed above. Some of them overlap, which you'll notice.

Remember: the first mod should always be a tune-up, no matter what year the dsm.

#15 ·
Which ever way you decide to take just remember no car will last forever and everyone has problems with their cars. The better you treat them the better they will run, the longer they will run, and the smoother they will run. And remember when it comes to racing everyone has their 15 seconds of fame. Good luck with your car.

#17 ·
seriously, why do you people respond to these threads from 2+ years ago...This guy probably either sold the car already or has been running 12's for the last couple years...What's the point in reviving old threads?

#22 ·
I am brand new to this forum. I only bought my 1995 Eagle Talon about two weeks ago. I have always loved the style and lines of the Talon and can't wait to get into a community with others who love the same car.

I am not that into Drag Racing, but I do like to have a quick car, in the 0-60 aspect of it. I am looking into putting a Cold Air Intake on my car, but I have some questions about where to put the Air Pump Check Valve hose when I take out the stock air box. The CAI I bought doesn't have a spot for it. I was wondering if that Air Pump Check Valve is even necessary and if I shouldn't just seal it off cause its probably just for emissions anyways.

But yeah I am glad to be here and hope to hear from all of you soon. Thanks again for letting me join up. Its going to be fun...

Michael

#23 ·
hey guys i`m steven and i`m in tampa, florida....just bought my first DSM, a 1997 GS-T with a sony cd player......shaved door handles (the shaved door handles were actually done by the previous owner of my car) and a DVD player with an in-dash tv moniter but i have no engine mods done as of yet, but i`m starting to REALLY like this car. i just joined DSMtalk to try to find out as much info on my car as possible. but i did have a couple of questions

-whats the stock psi ?
-when i lower my car...what should i go with? coilovers? or springs? (i`m looking for an even drop..not the lightly raked look.)
-and also.....im going to put an intake on my car...which brand do you all recommend? is there a popular brand that everyone likes?

thanx guys im sure i`ll get some useful info from this site :D

#24 ·
Hi, my name is brent. I have posted 2 posts around here since ive joined this past week. As of now,my daily driver is a cavalier, which if anyone wants to see, it is at the link: www.cardomain.com/id/cavi_driver_ba

I bought my Eagle Talon Tsi a couple of weeks ago for $500. Which is a really good deal. It will drive, the turbo just needs replacing/fixing and the syncros need to be fixed for 2nd gear in the tranny. Do tranny shops charge alot to do this? That's the only thing i'll need a shop for because I dont know much about awd transmissions. I guess when I have that fixed, ill have the transmission guys throw me a centerforce clutch or some brand up in there while their at it. Im starting to learn about these turbo engines because I wanted to get to know how to do different types of engines. Ive been really into domestics lately, until I leanred that DSMs have so much potential. Ill be driving my cavalier until I get my talon running like I want it. The head is already port/polished.

Things I want to do: Engine:cams, timing gears, fuel injectors, rods, bearings, replace all gaskets. All bottom end basically. I guess after that, ill put the factory turbo back on, then sell my cavalier and use that remaining money to go towards my turbo. Would doing the internals make it run much better? I work at Advance, so maybe I can get parts for cheap with my discount. Ill post pics of my talon as soon as i get a new digi camera.

#26 ·
redtalon said:
I am looking into putting a Cold Air Intake on my car, but I have some questions about where to put the Air Pump Check Valve hose when I take out the stock air box.
This is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation "PCV" Valve. It allows any pressure that builds up in your crankcase to escape, without doing damage to the valve cover gasket or other various seals throughout the engine. It is not reccomended to simply plug it off, rather you should install an "Oil Catch Can".
If you deal with emissions testing, you will be required to route that back into your intake.

-EngineBuilder

PS- the items in quotations are potential search terms for you to do some research with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.