Auto a good investment or repair hole? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Auto a good investment or repair hole?

Turbo Assassin
12-16-2002, 11:54 AM
I found a 1999 GSX in PERFECT condition. Owned by a middle aged woman. She keeps lowering the price b/c everyone wants a manual. It has 30k miles and selling for 13900. Every option and all receipts.

Anyways: I don't know a thing about autos, always had manuals. But....could this car potentially run low 13s/high 12s without eating up trannies left and right? What would I need, shift kit, tranny cooler, torque converter to make it more reliable.....also I would think the auto would negate any chance of a higher rpms launch to take advantage of the AWD.

So basically could it handle:
T-28 turbo@15psi
intake
DP and exhaust
all other supporting basic mods

snaps
12-16-2002, 07:53 PM
I would get a 5spd.

I don't like my auto very much. And its modded pretty good too. I just can't find a 5spd around here.

plus eventually selling it will be hard too. :(

maybe i will just end up doing the a/t -> m/t conversion.

nano
12-16-2002, 08:45 PM
It's up to you. Yes it's very possible. Just get a shift kit, and a bigger cooler. People have done 1.68 60 fts on the stock TC. I have ran 1.81 60ft on the stock one too with not many mods.

Turbo Assassin
12-17-2002, 08:44 AM
Anything else you could tell me?

So the tranny can be reliable with the parts mentioned?
How hard is the install?

you think this car could be a good deal or just wait until I find a 5spd at a good price. Im already in debt over my other car....

DCJ98GST
12-17-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by nano
It's up to you. Yes it's very possible. Just get a shift kit, and a bigger cooler.

What tranny cooler kit do you recomend?

Jasons TSi
12-17-2002, 10:39 AM
if you plan mods, dont get an auto. The manual car will be soo much faster with the same as than the auto.

nano
12-17-2002, 03:37 PM
My most of my buddies trap a little higher with their 5spds on 18Gs and 16Gs. Now that I got Cams me and my buddy with he's 18G are dead even from a roll. He traps 109mph. He's even got a front mount and he's tunning is very good as well as he's driving. Yes the 5psd will trap a little higher. But the auto is capable of very similar times. I belive a lot of it is in the tunning. Jason here on the board ran a 12.1 @ 111mph with a big 16G and front mount on the stock TC. The only thing I'm going to warn you about the auto tranny is that if it breaks it's a lot more expensive to replace then a manual. Everyone recommends S&M cooler part # BMM-70264 from summitracing.com. My first tranny broke because I probably over heated it spinning rodies int he ice. It never broke but pump started leaking. Got rebuilt and never worked right, blew up two weeks later. Bastards!! I never got my money back.. Then my last new tranny my buddy took it out one night and raced the piss out of it one night. Just kept doing non stop pulls on the high way. I'm sure it over heated. It just stoped working the next morning. Dealer said it was a dead pump. This tranny ran low 12s and high 11s no problems at the track untill my buddy drove it that night. Not he's fault though. I didn't think it would over heat and die either, specially since it only ran 13s on pump gas. Either way the dealer got me a new tranny for free :)... Warrantys are great. I got a bigger cooler and a tranny temp guage to monitor the tranny. I'm sure a lot of bad things that happen to these tranny's are either heat or maintance related. I never heard of anybody who has manage to break anything from too much power in them. But I think if your worried about reliability and cost with a modded car just go with a 5spd. Cause if it ever breaks on you you'll be paying a lot more for it if it's an auto.

91_Talon_Owner
12-17-2002, 06:20 PM
Nano, I respectfully disagree with your final assessment of the repair totals (M/T vs. A/T) Yes, a new auto tranny will cost you considerably more than a M/T, but how often do you have to replace parts within the A/T, vs M/T? as you stated, its *hard* to break the auto tranny, while breaking the M/T is beyond commonplace- its expected. (not to mention axles, and clutches)
If the transmission has been taken care of, you can expect an A/T to last longer, and be more consistent.

IMO there are only two downfalls: weight (considerable) and driveline HP loss. If you are building this car to be a heads-up-strip-only monster, than by all means forgo the A/T... Its just heavier, and it costs a little more money to go the same speed as a M/T. Now if this car is for daily driving reliability, with occasional bracket racing at the strip, get the auto and be happy when you have to stop on a hill at a red light...

-Eric

nano
12-18-2002, 06:30 AM
I do have friends who run 11s @ 120mph and they go through ACT 2600 clutches every 6 months. I guess that's not cheap nor convinient. But one of them has had the same stock trannie for almost three years now. He just got reall good at baying it and still maneges high 1.6s 60ft. Amazingly he's never broke an axle either. But I guess if you look at the costs and work of changing clutches all the time then a AT would sort of equal out, if not be cheaper.

Jasons TSi
12-18-2002, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by 91_Talon_Owner
Now if this car is for daily driving reliability, with occasional bracket racing at the strip, get the auto and be happy when you have to stop on a hill at a red light...

-Eric

My auto was dead unreliable with just the stock t-toosmall. The simple truth is that all it takes is some very minor problems to escillate into total breakdown. A solenoid failure, a cap leakage w/in the TCU, a fluid pump failure, and your high dollar tranny is crap. These things, regardless of what end clutch package you put on or shift kit you install could happen at any time, trashing a high dollar tranny.

And if you're worried about starting from a stop on a hill in a 5 speed, you're absolutely right, you shouldnt own a 5 speed.

nano
12-18-2002, 10:07 AM
So far everything has been reliable in all my trannies except for those damm pumps. Although I do blame my self a little for not adding a bigger cooler. But even if I still add a bigger cooler I don't know weather my pump will be more reliable. It really freaks me out to think of having to deal with another dead pump, since it'll burn the clutches. Rebuilds aren't cheap and I wouldn't even want a rebuild since in my past experience It was way to expensive and just ended up not working right. If I ever had to get another rebuild I'd try a 5spd swap, because If I break one more AT I'll give up. But I'll give this new cooler a try and monitor my trannie temps and see what happens. So far I haven't given up on the AT yet.

Turbo Assassin
12-18-2002, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. Im still debating on whether or not to get this car. She will take 13500 rock bottom. I want to be able to run low 13s on pump gas and have a powerful but reliable daily driver.

Offer is good but I don't know if Im going to regret it later on and wish I bought the manual or if I just add all the preventative maintenance to the Auto and be happy I got a good deal.

need4speedTSI
12-23-2002, 01:18 AM
I ran into the same situation as you (except with much less moola) I found a 92 tsi awd auto in a car lot, for 2700, but i wanted 5 speed, I decided to buy it. Im glad i did (of course I havent started modifying it yet). I say that no doubt you can have a 13 sec reliable daily driver that is an auto. Just take care of your car and it will take care of you. We can debate forever whats cheaper/more reliable/better. Fact is, regular maintanance, proper tuning, smart driving will leave you happy. Yes 5 speeds can be more fun to some people, and as far as being faster, yeh, slighltly faster, but there are advantages to auto too. Like full boost launch (OMG!!! FUN!!!) , and not having to lift to shift which keeps the turbo on boil all the time. Whatever happens I wish you the best of luck.

Turbo Assassin
12-23-2002, 03:14 PM
Need4speed: Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

As far as the deal goes: Do you guys think that is a great good or no deal.

Mileage and all. Body is in PERFECT shape.

nano
12-23-2002, 05:34 PM
Sunds like a preaty good deal to me. Specially for a 99 with very low miles. I bought mine in octover of 2000. 97model. It had 33k miles and I ended up bying it for 16,000. It was cheaper, and had less miles then some others in the area and a lot cheaper then what dealers where selling them at the time.

veritas
12-24-2002, 09:59 AM
Turbo...I have an 95 A/T thats about to get a FP Big 28 and FMIC...Plus my other mods & whats coming, I should see mi 12's on the stock trannie with no problem...After that I'm gonna invest a little to strengthin the trannie up IE: Shift Kit, End clutch upgrade, torque converter & Tranny cooler...

Bottom line is u can do it with an Auto and the tranny will hold up pretty easily with what u want to get out of it: mid to low 13's... With my port work and exhaust alone, I should be in the high 13's already...I 'd say 13,500 is a pretty good deal for a 99 GSX with 30k....that tranny is brand new!...Go get it!;)