O2 DUMP mod, is it worth it? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: O2 DUMP mod, is it worth it?

Eclipse_pimp
12-17-2002, 03:06 PM
hey i was just wondering on some more info on a dump mod, ive pretty much just heard about them and that they make you faster and A LOT louder anymore info would be nice, and i sound file of what it sounds liek would also be tight.

Thanks for any help
-Willy

dsm1995gst
12-17-2002, 04:52 PM
From the top of the Parts Review Forum:

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=43590

Moved to Parts Talk.

anconover
12-17-2002, 04:54 PM
i had a sound file, lost it but lemme tell u 1 thing, its loud and obnoxious i cant stand the noise not worth it to me =\

omneclipse
12-17-2002, 11:26 PM
It will not make you faster unless you are running a fairly large turbo. And I wil agree with the above stated "too loud".

Mike

P.S. I do know from experience, I had the VP O2 dump and my car felt much better with just a ported 2G O2.

V8SpankR
12-18-2002, 09:08 AM
I rather have a custom one that just dumps back into the DP.

XakEp
12-18-2002, 09:26 AM
i dump with a 16G and its just fine to me... took 2/10s off my 1/4 time and i'm in Denver.

Cam
12-18-2002, 09:46 AM
I love the sound, plus the fact that with the 2.5 exhaust the car is quite when I need it to be and F@%^IN' loud when I want to race or relieve some stress on a country road. would never go back to routing westgate back in, dump or external from now on!
SD dsm got a short movie with sound, 2g car.

ProjectGSX
12-18-2002, 12:43 PM
Whoever mentioned that there are only gains when used with a large turbo was incorrect.

I would definitely suggest riding in a car that has this mod before buying one for yourself. I personally like the sound, but many people don't. It's not for everyone.

91TSiGuy
12-18-2002, 12:52 PM
I will be getting an external dump WG soon myself, and was wondering about installing a muffler from a dirtbike or 4 wheeler to it. I have connections to a performance shop in NJ that should have some spare 4 stroke exhausts and they're a large enough inner diameter but not too big on the outside to not be able to fit anywhere under the car. Has anyone tried to quiet down their external dump similar to that?

Cam
12-18-2002, 01:19 PM
I built my own using rre flanges and a donut from the chassis shop, I was thinking of using a simular set up as a atv muffler, I wanted a small glass pack(cherry bomb,purple hornie, ect.). but after looking under the car for a while i decided why put more junk in a already crowded area, just be a MAN!!! Ya, they can be loud, if your worried about it being to loud at wot/full boost, then they are defentially not for you. the gain to $ ratio is very good, weather you have an exhaust already or not!!!!!!!!! unlike many upgrades, I lost no torque, but gained HP... by the way here is the link to sd dsm, the clip is under the movie section
www.sddsm.org

ProjectGSX
12-18-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by 91TSiGuy
I will be getting an external dump WG soon myself, and was wondering about installing a muffler from a dirtbike or 4 wheeler to it. I have connections to a performance shop in NJ that should have some spare 4 stroke exhausts and they're a large enough inner diameter but not too big on the outside to not be able to fit anywhere under the car. Has anyone tried to quiet down their external dump similar to that?

Dre installed a glasspack on his dump. Here is a link to an mpg on his website:

http://www.twingles.com/ideck/mpg/thrush.mpg

fu98765
12-18-2002, 01:32 PM
I had one and never noticed any performance gains. I just had acustic gains which were a little more than what I care for. I'd rather hear my turbo spooling like mad then a huge amount of noise sounding like I have no exhaust on my car. I sold my external and got a ported 2G. I love it. It works great and isn't too expensive. Its all a matter of taste.

Rob

JNZTuning
12-18-2002, 01:41 PM
This all depends on the modifications on your car.

I used an 02 dump tube on my 1st GVR4 about 5 years ago, and ran 13.1s all day long...with the stock catback on the car and about $600 in total mods.

Once I built the exhaust (3") I gained next to nothing from doing so on the 14B. The time dropped from 13.1@102 to 13.0@103 consitantly.

The step from no exhaust, to no exhaust and 02 dump tube was tremendous.

Some people it will help, some people it won't-- Like every other modification out there. It depends on teh setup you currently have.