My first turbo oil change, with a turbo DSM [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: My first turbo oil change, with a turbo DSM


talon167
12-22-2002, 01:40 PM
Ok, so Ive changed my oil many many times in my old car the Talon (NT), but ever in the Eclipse (GST). My concern has to do with the turbo. Ive read that its very very important to put some oil in the new oil filter before starting the car. If this is not done, the turbo could sieze becasue lack of lube' in the berings. My question is how much oil should I put in the filter. Fill it up, half way, or just a few drops to soak it a little? And after Im done, should I do anything or let the engine sit at idle for a few minutes before driving to make sure the oil makes it all the way through the turbo and such before driving?

evoir
12-22-2002, 01:51 PM
thats new to me
neither the Mitsu book or the Chiltons say to do that

ahh..
I think your thinking if you install a new turbo perhaps ?


when your done let it idle and look for leaks (standard stuff)

Blackboost
12-22-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by talon167
Ok, so Ive changed my oil many many times in my old car the Talon (NT), but ever in the Eclipse (GST). My concern has to do with the turbo. Ive read that its very very important to put some oil in the new oil filter before starting the car. If this is not done, the turbo could sieze becasue lack of lube' in the berings. My question is how much oil should I put in the filter. Fill it up, half way, or just a few drops to soak it a little? And after Im done, should I do anything or let the engine sit at idle for a few minutes before driving to make sure the oil makes it all the way through the turbo and such before driving?

You don't have to do anything of this. Just change the oil the same you did on you NT car...;)

FWD98GST
12-22-2002, 03:14 PM
Mobil 1 Full Syn-Oil 10w-30!!!

sideshow76
12-22-2002, 06:48 PM
it's always a good idea to fill the filter with oil to 1/3 of the oil filter capacity before you install the filter to prevent the oil starvation that happens at start up. Usually the filter has some good oil in it on a regular start up, but after you change the filter there's no oil in it. My auto shop teacher told us to do this so I just do it now with every oil change I do regardless if the car is turbocharged or not.

JOEY

4g63 Racer
01-02-2003, 01:40 AM
I have never heard of that before anywhere, and I have alot of friends that work in Shops.

anconover
01-02-2003, 01:53 AM
ive never heard of it either :confused:

ironmang
01-08-2003, 08:50 PM
I was taught to dip the new filter in oil before putting it on... if nothing else it adds lubrication to the threading so next time u change it, it wont be so difficult to take off...

95tsiawdgst
01-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by 4g63 Racer
I have never heard of that before anywhere, and I have alot of friends that work in Shops.

Jiffylube doesn't care about cars, thats why they probably wouldn't.

I add until the filter is soaked, spin the filter in the air until all the pleats are saturated.

It might add a couple months to the life of a car...thats what I do.

Jersey GT
01-09-2003, 07:53 AM
I do that as not to get a dry startup.

Auto RS T
01-09-2003, 10:28 AM
I was told to unplug the coil, crank the car over until oil pressure is observed and then plug the coil back in, start up and drive away.

FeedinU-PSI
01-14-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Auto RS T
I was told to unplug the coil, crank the car over until oil pressure is observed and then plug the coil back in, start up and drive away.

Yes! Me too! That is what I used to do when I had my 90 TSI AWD.

Auto RS T
01-16-2003, 09:25 PM
Thank you! Some one else heard this! I felt like i was a retard.

Jazzie604
01-17-2003, 12:39 PM
it sounds like this is one of those "good ideas" that kind of are neither here nor there when applied in the real world. I think its all up to what you feel like doing.

machinis
01-18-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Auto RS T
I was told to unplug the coil, crank the car over until oil pressure is observed and then plug the coil back in, start up and drive away. Great idea!!

As far as putting some oil in the oil filter, I have done it since my first oil change. I guess it has to do something with waiting for the oil to get to the filter (it's already there!!!), and then eventually to the rest of the engine.