How much boost can the stock 1g blow off take? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: How much boost can the stock 1g blow off take?

AWDDSMDEMON
12-24-2002, 09:36 PM
How much boost can the stock 1g blow off take? Should i put a aftermarket one cause ive heard the air gets released into the air instead of going back to the turbo so it runs richer.

Blackboost
12-24-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by AWDDSMDEMON
How much boost can the stock 1g blow off take? Should i put a aftermarket one cause ive heard the air gets released into the air instead of going back to the turbo so it runs richer.

The stock one will hold over 20 psi just fine. Even if you get an aftermarket one, you shouldn't vent it into the atmosphere. It's just plain dumb...;)

1 fast POS
12-24-2002, 11:00 PM
I have a thought. Now we know why it is "bad" to vent. Because the metered air is escaping and the ECU is applying enouph fuel for air that is no longer present. So for the instance after you let off of the throttle the BOV vents and the injectors overspray (richen or wet) the cylinders. Now if you consider that RICH is COOL, and the rich environment is created in between gears, immediately after high boost/temp situations. This is telling me that the injectors may be throwing a little extra fuel (cooling) into the HOT cylinders immediately after high cylinder temps. You know Porsche threw some extra injectors in some of their turbo engines that added NO HP what so ever, they exsisted only to keep the temps under control.