timing belt tensioner pulley [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: timing belt tensioner pulley

TalonKiD6
12-26-2002, 07:52 PM
I am in the middle of replacing my water pump, and I come accross the timing belt in the way. If I crack the tensioner pulley bolt, will the tensioner be difficult to put back together? I have marked the timing belt and the cam gears together on the same teeth and marked the crank and the oil pump. If I take the timing belt off will it be difficult to put the tensioner back in its original position? Please help!!!!!

Taboo
12-26-2002, 08:31 PM
Turn the engine to TDC, zip-tie the t-belt to the cam sprockets and mark the position of the timing belt on the crank sprocket with some white-out. You need to release the tension of the hydraulic tensioner with "the special tool" before you remove the t-belt. Remove "the special tool" and unbolt the tensioner pulley bracket with the pulley attached (there's no need to unbolt the pulley). Then remove the hydraulic tensioner. Check www.vfaq.com for t-belt change procedures. :)

Blackboost
12-26-2002, 11:19 PM
Moved to Newbies Forum...

stevep
12-27-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Taboo
You need to release the tension of the hydraulic tensioner with "the special tool" before you remove the t-belt.Isn't it easier to compress the auto tensioner with the tool until you can insert a cotter pin in the tensioner and then remove the tool and the mount to remove the pump? That way you won't have to compress it later with a vice and you'll have a starting point for readjusting the belt tension.

Steve