Apexi AVC-R [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Apexi AVC-R

GSTRFWD
02-20-2001, 08:58 PM
Hey can anyone give me some info on how the avc-r works. and if they actually like it.

Mannai
02-23-2001, 09:06 PM
I have the AVC-R and I dont know what to say really. It took me a very long time to get this thing figured out, still not perfect but its okay. If I can go back in time I would purchase a Blitz Dual SBC I heard this unit really works or a manual boost controller.

Dont let the look of it fool you, it looks amazing and the options it has are perfect if they only worked right.

One problem many are complaining about is it would overboost at higher gears than what it is adjusted too. What worked to fix the problem is reduce the duty cycle on the gears were it overboosts.

It becomes a problem when you install both AFC and AVC-R with bigger injecters at the same time, since you will need a lot of time doing the AVC-R. You have to tune everything which will take a long time.

gsxalex
02-24-2001, 11:45 AM
*********** Moved here from "Parts Review"*********

bill9009
02-27-2001, 07:26 PM
i have it, well had it till it got stolen but they only took the screen, what idiots, they left all the wiring and sensors and solenoid, well anyways, i loved the thing mine never overboosted especially after it did the learning thing, if i set it to 1.3 it might have gone to 1.33 but then right back to 1.3 and then steady from there, so overall i was very pleased, and yes at first i had no clue how to use the thing, and the directions are a joke

GSTRFWD
02-28-2001, 09:31 AM
well you two have gotten it set up. Could you guys help me set mine up. I have a 2g eclipse and i got one. But i'm having problems getting everything to work right.

bill9009
02-28-2001, 01:37 PM
hey do u have the directions, the english version? if not u can get them of the apexi site, well do u need help putting it in, or actually setting it to work?

GSTRFWD
03-02-2001, 06:09 PM
setting it up to work

bill9009
03-02-2001, 08:43 PM
so u need to know like where to hook the pressure sensor up and like wher to hook up and mount the boost solenoid?, or do u just want to know how to program it for like a certain boost level?

DSM Storm
03-05-2001, 06:57 AM
I bought one, its the balls if you ask me, its actually quite steady as fo handeling boost, most MBC's dont hold boost as steady as an EBC but what can you do. Mine didnt come with instructions so what i did was just follow the install VFAQ for the AFC, I made out well.

Hey Bill9009, did you just order a new controller without sensors?

bill9009
03-05-2001, 12:51 PM
no i just ordered a whole new one, so it will be real easy too hook up since all the sensors are in place already, but now i will have an extra set of sensors

phrenzy
03-06-2001, 06:29 AM
I'm curious as to how one would set this thing up as well. It'll be a while before I need a boost controller, but what all do you need to no to set the AVC-r up?

Easy-

bill9009
03-06-2001, 02:09 PM
um all that is required to know is location of the ecu how to splice wires how to run wires into the engine, how to use a screwdriver(to mount the sensor and solenoid) how to cut vac tubing, i think thats about it, now tuning it is a different story

GSTRFWD
03-07-2001, 09:09 PM
Ok when hooking up the pressure silenoid do you remove the stock silenoid?

Peter 92TSI
03-07-2001, 10:46 PM
I had one and just sold it. I couldn't justify having such a pricy boost controller, while my car was running out of fuel.

Overall I like all the options. It's a great controller, but looks better on paper than it really is. I had a terrible problem with the dam thing always creeping on me at high speeds. It would shot past the set points. Even when I set it up correctly.

Good controller. Would be even better if they made is simplier. Why not just have boost? Why have duty cycle and all that dumb stuff?

95GST
03-08-2001, 12:11 AM
Peter, with all the problems you were having I am thinking you had a defective unit, with a crapped motor or something?

I mean, other people had said it works very steady.

I can see why you want to sell it too. You said the lowest you can set your turbo is about 1 bar? Well that is still too strong for a FWD.

I had found out my turbo can do as low as 9-10 psi. I can think such low boost can make first gear more "useful".

Also it seems great to have a lower setting for rainy days..
I am planning to get one soon, I hope it works out.

Peter 92TSI
03-08-2001, 10:36 AM
First gear on my car is never useful. :(

No my AVC-R was in working order. To make it NOT creep at high rpms I just turned the boost off at high rpms. Sometimes it was "ok" other times it would creep. Maybe I just it up improperly.

10 psi is not even good. The violent spool of the turbo just rips the tires free. The eagle RSAs don't exactly help traction either.

I am getting some Bridgestone Potenzas or Nitto 555drs this week.

That should help. If it doesn't I am giving up. :) Kidding.

BoostLE
03-08-2001, 02:13 PM
they must have some special contract w/ Goodyear on that funky size. Give the Kuhmos Ecsta Supra 712's a try man, you'll like them. 225/45/17's help the front spin a little.

95GST
03-08-2001, 03:03 PM
I would think that it's your tires giving spin in 3rd.
Now maybe your car is much more powerful than mine, but I think try some 225 sticky tires to see what happens.