DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Quaife Center Differential

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Cjburn2 
#1 ·
Hey I'm looking for a quaife center differential. I was wondering do anyone knows where I can find a good one for a very good price? The best I found is at http://www.roadraceengineering.com/quaife.htm If anyone knows of a better deal please tell me, Thanks.

#4 ·
Quaife no longer covers AWD center diffs under warranty because there is a possiblity of pieces of 3rd gear taking out the center diff.

They don't want to replace diffs that broke because of the design of the rest of the trans... so they don't cover AWD center. They still cover AWD front, AWD rear, and FWD under the lifetime warranty though.

And is it just me, or does the term "lifetime warranty" sound like a contradiction? If it breaks.. its lifetime is over... so ends the warranty! ;) :D

#5 ·
My quiafe center took the big poo. It is not uncommon either. I still need to send it out to them to find out the repair cost. It only had 10 k on it, with no real hard driving on it. Most was stop and go driving, and I'm making less than 300hp. It ended up destroying my tranny as well (tre and tre installed, it is not a mitsu design problem).

*edit* the quaife is in the middle of my sig.

#6 ·
I'm happy with my Quaife I got it through Buschur I can't remember the price but I think it was better than RRE. You'll have to call and ask Tym over there. I've been happy with it so far and I've had it over a year now with now problems...but who knows. The reason I went with quaife over Cusco was that the Cusco with controlled by a clutch pack which will wear out sooner than a gear based set up. The clutch pack has to be ordered from Japan which is a bit of an issue. Hope that helped some how.

#7 ·
From what I have heard in the past, the quaife center diff has a weaker ring gear. The teeth are acutually part of the casing and have the tendency to brake.

I have a quaife FWD diff and love it, it is very strong!

#9 ·
I think you read my post. I was telling people a quaife is a waste of money because the warrenty is garbage. I would go with a 4 gear center diff that team rip or TRE has. That way if your 3rd gear take out your center diff, and it will you will only need to replace the center diff, instead of sending it away and paying 450 bux for a new housing. Like I did. :( So do the math

400 for the 4 gear diff + 400 for a new one = 800

1000 for the Quaife + 450 for it to be fix = 1450.

that a big difference.

#11 ·
i don't know of anyone who has them, but they have the ability to wear out just like the cusco mentioned above since they both are clutch style.

#12 ·
Clutch types are commonly used for RWD muscle cars and they do NOT wear as quickly as you would imply. They wear out faster on differentials that do alot of turning, meaning alot of speed variations in between the wheels, mainly the FWD (more speed variations to compensate for) differential and to a lesser degree a RWD(a little bit less than a FWD) differential. Since it doesn't have that much to wheel speed differences to compensate for (it being a center differential as far as turning is concerned) I would not worry about them wearing out, plus when they wear out you replace disks (around $100). I would ask a RWD or a FWD guy and see how long they last...probably around 50K or more....you'll have to ask to find out. Replacement shouldn't be that hard since you would just have to take out the center diff, instead of disassembling an entire transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.