MSD - HKS TWIN POWER - 4 COIL SYSTEM? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: MSD - HKS TWIN POWER - 4 COIL SYSTEM?

Mannai
03-04-2001, 12:17 AM
I am thinking of upgrading my ignition, Now I know that many of you have tried the MSD system. But has anybody tried the HKS or the 4 individual coil upgrade?

http://www.extrememotorsports.com/grcat/ignition.htm
OR
http://www.turbotrix.com/parts/misc.shtml
The Nippondenso 4 coil system.

I think the one on Extremes website is Nippondenso also.

I am really interested in the 4 Coil upgrade, Looks really neat when installed, and sounds like it really does a good job. Would it be to much for a stock internal engine or is that fine.

I dont know anything about the HKS, but I have a friend who installed it on his supra and says his car is much smoother at high RPM's. He couldnt notice any power gains (at 650hp I dont think anybody will) but anyways he recommends it.

welderx
03-04-2001, 05:28 AM
you have a very good ignition on your car stock. i would put my money somewhere else.
are you having any problems with what you have?
i wonder what the output of the hks coil is (in volts) versus the oem. greg

Mannai
03-10-2001, 11:28 AM
No I dont have a problem yet. But according to extreme motorsports, if you install the 4coil upgrade they have you can increase the gapping of the plugs because the spark will be much stronger. I am pretty sure the car will run smoother and make more power, since you can increase the fuel a little with the addition spark.

BigRedAWD
03-28-2001, 02:47 PM
I am thinking about buying the MSD. I can get the system for pretty cheap. What gap can I use on my spark plugs. I use the NKG-R plugs, they are the ones with two seperate electrods.

What really is the difference in spark plug wires. I haven't heard anything definate power gains from using them. With a stronger spark would it be worth it to upgrade to 10mm plug wires. There is a pair of 8.5mm wires on there right now that are about 5000 miles old.

ecoli
03-28-2001, 03:04 PM
BigRedAWD, upgrading to 10mm might be a good idea just to keep the MSD from frying the smaller plug wires.