Tell me about your FMIC [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Tell me about your FMIC

Quatney
03-06-2001, 04:46 PM
I have a friend who is thinking of getting a FMIC for his 95 GSX. Does any one have one for the 2G? Which one is it, what do you think of it. Is one brand better than the next? Also where is a cheap place to get one?

Endless
03-06-2001, 08:57 PM
I have the big XS engineering front mount. Its polished and second only to the Big Greddy intercooler in size. Easy to install although you will have to lose the fog lights.

TechT
03-07-2001, 10:33 AM
if he does't want to lose the fog lights,then get the small Greddy front mount.

turbo=good
03-07-2001, 01:49 PM
Is there such a thing a big intercooler like the the greddy ones that are cheap? cheap meaning less than $400 considering they go for $1000.

TechT
03-07-2001, 02:00 PM
You might be able to get a used one for around that price+.I.ve seen cores(no ic piping and endtanks) for around that price as well,but that depends on what brand and where you get it.

BoostLE
03-07-2001, 03:49 PM
You can keep your 2g foglights on with the big greddy fmic. I got the my Apex polished and like the look. If you've seen the apex core the design stands out more 'cause the horizontal bars are wider..plus the endtanks show so it looks like 2 buck teeth..lol

95GST
03-07-2001, 05:27 PM
No you cannot keep your foglights on the 95-96 bumper with either the Apexi or Greddy big. BoostLE really meant you can keep the fog lights on the 97-99 bumpers.

And I don't think you can get a used big greddy or apexi for $400 even used.. I'll the the first in line to buy one if so. You can probably purchase a huge spearco core for $4-500 and make your own piping.

Peter 92TSI
03-07-2001, 10:49 PM
I am still very bitter about this subject. NO one makes a nice polished core for the 1G. All the cores are top to bottom flow, and look terrible. The best core I have seen so far has been the Starion core. The buscher is nice, but costs about 1/4 of my car....

Anyone know why all the nice cores do not work on a 1G?

Thanks

ecoli
03-08-2001, 12:30 AM
Just buy one and make it fit...

Peter 92TSI
03-08-2001, 10:38 AM
Right, well I am sure I could make it fit. But would would it require for me to do?

Has anyone tried to use a 2G KIT with a 1G? I would remove the bumper if I have too.

95GST
03-08-2001, 10:59 AM
how much is the bushur FMIC for the 1Gs?

given that a big ass apex or greddy cost like $800-$1000 already... is it worth the trouble to make them fit on a 1G?

Peter 92TSI
03-08-2001, 01:33 PM
Well the Buscher FMIC is around 1400, and looks more like a grill than an intercooler.

Not only are the Greedy Kits Cheaper, but they look a hell of a lot better.

That is why I want to try and adapt one. If my starion i/c doesn't work out well, I am going to go the custom route.

Peter

95GST
03-08-2001, 02:53 PM
hehe $1400 then now we are really talking about 150% price over brand name 2G kits.

So yes, how come no body get a Silvia or GTR core from Apexi, or a spearco core and make a custom FMIC for 1Gs?

ecoli
03-08-2001, 09:41 PM
The Buschur kit is $1350, but its huge, comes with with a SPAL fan, coolant overflow bottle, throttle body elbow, T-bolt clamps, and ALL the intercooler piping. The $1000 2G GReddy kits don't come with anything special, just the core and some piping to the stock 2G I/C location, which makes the I/C piping length very long.

People have claimed that the GReddy cores have nasty pressure drop also, at least the older one.

DDP does sell a 1G & 2G kit using the Apexi Silvia core. He also sells 2G kit using the Apexi Skyline core.

Peter 92TSI
03-09-2001, 10:10 AM
Thanks Ecoli!

There are two reasons I couldn't justify getting the Buscher kit. First off I will never use it to it's full potential. With my 16G I will never ever use that much intercooler. Second, if I never plan to use the whole thing, why spend the extra money for it, ya know?

The Apexi kit from DDP sounds great. I am almost ready to buy it. Just goy my Rc 580CC injectors, and new mbc.

GSXtreme
03-09-2001, 02:18 PM
Just wanted to get my word in. I have a 95 GSX, I used to have the small 221 spearco core which cost me a total of $500 or so because I made my own pipes and bought non stainless. It worked great and I ran some good times with it. I wanted something that looked great on my 2g and was easy to install and performed well, but I wasnt about to pay all that money for the Apex kit. Then 2 weeks later GReddy released their new BIG FMIC kit and I had to have it. Now me and my friends own a shop as a side business so I got it for cheap. The tanks are not really polished so I tried to get them a little more shiny. After the isntall was done I was AMAZED. It looked so good, and BADASS. The next part was did it perform as well as it looked. Thats where the dissapointment came into play. I dont think I felt a difference at all from the smaller, cheaper Spearco 221, now this is with a 16g. I will be going to a T3/T4 in a few months so I will update on that. So the lesson to learn here is that if you are going for looks then get the $1000+ kits, but if you want the best bang for your buck then I would buy just a Spearco core ($+-400) and you can get Mild Steel Pipes for $15 each. It only takes 3-4 to do a whole set of pipes, and if you cant weld then you can use couplings to connect every pipe. It will work just fine. Sorry for such a long story but im at work and none of the servers are going down so I have nothing better to do. Thanks for the space.

Jim McKeone
IRC:GSXtreme
http://www.psiproformance.com

GSXDream
03-12-2001, 04:36 PM
I've bought and had installed a FMIC with piping by a local DSM'er. Shannon Knoepflein (kycshann@kyol.net) is in Lebonan KY. Total price $825. He does jobs like this on the side when he has time for people who are local enough to drive to his place.

That was for a 24"x11"x3.??" Griffen side to side core, and 2.5" piping replacing the upper IC pipe on a 2g (shoots from IC outlet to throttle body, not through stock location).

I was going to go with a Big Greedy, but this is about the same size core, and I got 2.5" piping from compressor housing to throttle body, and got rid of the excess pipage that would have accompanied the Greedy that routes to the stock location.

On my '99, I kept my fog lights, but I'm pretty sure '95-'96 would lose them just like all the other big FMIC kits. The outlets are on both sides, right under the '97+ fogs.

The IC core itself is slightly polished. It pretty much looks like a Big Greddy from the front of my car. I'm having pictures developed this week. I'll post links to them later on.

As for performance, I can't use it to the full potential yet cause I installed a 255 lph high pressure Walbro that's making me run extremely rich, and I'm installing an adjustable FPR this week. I had it at the track, and ran 107.x @23psi, .98 showing on the O2's, and 1500 degree EGTs at the top of 3rd. I did make 2 runs on 93 Octane, 20psi and got 103.x mph with .96 O2's, 1550 deg EGTs and bad 2nd and 3rd gear synchros, so it took me a bit to spool back up in 3rd :-/

He did install the same core on a 1g, looked pretty good. However, cause it's 11" high, 1/2 of it's covered by the front fascia.

Endless
03-13-2001, 05:17 PM
I hope those are Farenheit EGT's . By the way does shannon still have the Galant. and hows it running?

GSXDream
03-14-2001, 03:56 PM
Yeah, it's sitting at the end of his driveway. He's putting on a new FMIC, the core's 2x as thick as the one he sold me :-)

He said he's shooting for getting it to a track in the next month or so. He also go an SVT Lightning, so he said he's taking it to the track too :-/

firepower
03-15-2001, 05:54 PM
I made my own out of a starion IC. It cost about $250 will all piping. It is about the same size as a small greedy. If you want more info on how to make it or need parts e-mail me. I have extra piping/tubing, and can tell you how to reweld the end tanks. I still have fog lights and hood latch. No compromize. My 1/4 times got more consistent, but I wouldn't say they got lower from the IC. It did let me turn up the boost more w/o EGT issues, which lowered my times.

GSXDream
03-16-2001, 12:27 PM
Here's some links to the picts of my FMIC:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Geyser/2290/images/march01/FMIC1.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Geyser/2290/images/march01/FMIC2.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Geyser/2290/images/march01/side1.JPG

harry99GSX
03-19-2001, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by GSXDream
Here's some links to the picts of my FMIC:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Geyser/2290/images/march01/FMIC1.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Geyser/2290/images/march01/FMIC2.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Geyser/2290/images/march01/side1.JPG

Anyone else having trouble with these links?

GSXDream
03-21-2001, 01:14 PM
Sorry,
it seems my original address from Geocities from long ago doesn't seem to take anymore. It's now using my Yahoo username as the subdirectory, damn Yahoo...

Try these:

http://www.geocities.com/ktv_gst/images/march01/FMIC1.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/ktv_gst/images/march01/FMIC2.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/ktv_gst/images/march01/side1.JPG

Jon 97 GST
03-24-2001, 09:16 AM
[Edited by Jon 97 GST on 03-24-2001 at 05:18 AM]

Mannai
03-25-2001, 05:46 AM
I have the Apex'i unit, I bought this intercooler a long time ago when we didnt have many choices and it looked the best at its time. I still have it and had no problems with it, the look is very unique and it works. The fins are designed to flow more so the chances of overheating are less, Although if the car is meant to overheat it will most probably happen when its standing still or barely moving which at that point no matter how your intercooler flows it will still overheat.

Anyways, people complain of the Big Greddy FMIC pressure drop. Well I havent realized any pressure drop in my apex intercooler and I think its the perfect size for the street, actually my friend just installed the Big Greddy FMIC and had no pressure drop problems and made a difference in top end.

You can probably find a used Apexi kit because they have been out for a while but I dont think $400 will cut it, probably around $600.
Good luck.

97silvereclipesss
03-26-2001, 10:59 AM
did you notice any horse power gains when you installed your fmic w/ your stock turbo or do you need then when you upgrade your turbo's

Mannai
03-26-2001, 05:29 PM
When I had the stock T-25 and a full 3inch the mid range increase a lot but the turbo dies quickly in topend.

So What I use to do was shift at 6-6.2 instead of 7 to always have good boost. I actually raced a friend from a roll and If i shift at 6-6.2 I can beat him but if I shift at 7 he manages to stay next to me.

Anyways the intercooler increased the 4th and 5th gear performance. But I beleive if you have a bigger turbo it will increase power over all the rev range because not only will your FMIC make the air cooler but it will flow better.
Because when you upgrade to a large turbo the SMIC becomes very restrictive and will easly get heat soaked.

I would say if your planning to get a 20g and above then get the FMIC first, if its a 16g or smaller then get the turbo first.