Pop up headlights not working - problem? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Pop up headlights not working - problem?

91-GSX
03-06-2001, 10:00 PM
Ok - getting my 'new' (to me) 91 GSX in shape and I've noticed that the pop-up headlights don't work at all - they light up and they also will open/close with the knob on the motors, but not with the dash switch or stalk. Could it be soimething simple - I've looked at the fuses and didn't see one labled for the headlight motors (is there one?)

Is the control box fried? Can I use another DSM/Chrysler box (i.e. older laser's, daytona, etc. - as they're in the junkyards more)

Thanks in advance!

bastard101
03-06-2001, 11:44 PM
Are you saying that they will open when u turn the light switch to the "on" position inside the car? So how do u bring the headlights up?

91-GSX
03-07-2001, 07:49 AM
They DO NOT open at all - I have to go pop the hood, remove the rubber cover, turn the red knob on the motors until the lights come up.

NEITHER the dash button OR the headlight switch pops them up.

k91
03-07-2001, 08:08 AM
Maybe whoever had the car before you did the popup mod? Or the switch is bad? Oh there is also the possibility that the arm came disconnected from the motor so the motor cannot pull up the lights. Check http://www.dsm.org for details in the Technical Difficulties section. The motor could also be bad but it would be strange for both motors to go...

[Edited by k91 on 03-07-2001 at 10:11 AM]

MoBoost
03-07-2001, 09:19 AM
Most probably it's the wiring. Make sure your motors are plugged and your fuse is still there.

91-GSX
03-07-2001, 09:54 AM
MoBoost - where is the fuse??? Is it the same one that drives the bulbs in the headlights because the lights themselves light up properly.

K91 - The lights do go up and down manually by turning the knobs so I believe that the rods are hooked up and since the lights DO NOT go up or down with either the stalk OR the button I believe that they're disfunctional - the only info on the faq's was about the headlight popup mod and so I tried looking at that and checked to see if it operated like the mod said it would and it doesn't.

I can't see both motors being shot so I've got to assume it's wiring or switches somewhere. Keep the info coming.

- brian

Dark Lightning
03-07-2001, 11:21 AM
Check to see if the pop-up relay is even there. Black box, passenger side, just in front of the shock tower, kinda near the air can... It's filled with relays and fuses. Make sure that where the diagram shows the pop-up relay should be that there's actually a relay there.

MoBoost
03-07-2001, 12:47 PM
I think the fuse is the same for the headlights. But Dark Lightning is right - see if you even have the Relay - maybe it's bad?

Dark Lightning
03-07-2001, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by MoBoost
see if you even have the Relay - maybe it's bad?

If the relay is in there and you can get some help, you can test it really easy. Put your hand on the relay and have a friend flick the switch. The relay should make a clicking noise and you should be able to feel it in your fingers.

91-GSX
03-08-2001, 07:45 AM
I'm familiar with relay operations and as long as it's a simple relay operated system then I can start troubleshooting this weekend... The first thing I'll try is checking for trigger voltage at the socket and ohming the trigger coil. If those test OK I think I can jumper the contact points on the socket if the relay is labeled well enough to see if I can manually raise/lower the lights.

Thanks for the info guys!

Dark Lightning
03-08-2001, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by 91-GSX
I'm familiar with relay operations and as long as it's a simple relay operated system then I can start troubleshooting this weekend... The first thing I'll try is checking for trigger voltage at the socket and ohming the trigger coil. If those test OK I think I can jumper the contact points on the socket if the relay is labeled well enough to see if I can manually raise/lower the lights.

Um, yeah, there's no labels on it. You'll have to take a multimeter to the contacts and/or follow the wiring to figure it out; it's a SPST I think. I know the fog light relay is SPST.

KenTSIII
03-08-2001, 10:51 AM
I had a buddy w/ a 91 that we were getting ready to swap the headlight motors in. The lights would not go up or down. Well I noticed when we pulled the lil actuator arms off they still didn't go up or down by pushing on them. Well long story short.... the bolts at the pivot points were rusted. We emptied a can of WD 40 on all of the pivot bolts (3 per side I think)a lil at a time.. moved them up & dwn & did it some more. Every time we would spray it after that rust would just run down. Well after the can was gone.. we put the actuators back on.. has worked fine for the last 2 yrs since.

Give it a try,
Ken

91-GSX
03-08-2001, 11:14 AM
KenTSIII - these go up/down real easy and spinning the little headlight motor's knob offers almost no resistance so I am positive that I don't have a rust/binding problem... It's got to be electrical.