Anyone here have a welded center diff or TRE-spec Center differential spool? [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: Anyone here have a welded center diff or TRE-spec Center differential spool?

Hobbes =^.^=
07-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Just would like to know if anyone here has a welded center diff or the TRE-spec Center differential spool (similiar to welded center diff)

If you do, how is your daily driving? I am planning to have one of these... most likely the spool. And I will be driving daily with it. Just would like to know your opinions on how it affects daily driving. Thanks in advance.

James92TSi
07-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Moved to Parts Talk.

rmoon
07-09-2003, 10:32 PM
I have the spool. You won't notice it unless you take a turn slow.

Hobbes =^.^=
07-10-2003, 08:26 AM
How long have you had it for?

rmoon
07-10-2003, 10:56 AM
About 8 months.

scotthidley
07-10-2003, 12:27 PM
I can lock my center diff and its very noticable when parking or backing out of the driveway. The trick is to turn as little as you have to when going slowly. If you have the wheel turned all the way, it'll feel like your trying to start driving over a big speed bump.

Smokehouse_83
07-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Dont even think about it unless you have a 4 bolt axle is my advice!! I have a tre spool and have went though 2 3bolts, they break like butter. Then you have to pull your tcase and drive in fwd mode, which I have been in pretty much since I got my car running again. I broke my first 3bolt acouple days after getting her started then drove fwd then put another one in and broke it a week later. Now I am saving up for a 92 1/2 to a 94 parts car since I will be needing a rear end, an ecu, a tranny to have rebuilt, and a bunch of other parts that will add up to enough to buy a parts car. Does anyone have a 92 1/2 through a 94 awd they want to sell me?

Drew

lithium
07-10-2003, 10:36 PM
I had a spool... didn't like the strain it put on my drivetrain for daily driving. 4 wheel burnouts and 1.6 60' times are nice, but not worth it for me since my car only sees the track about 1/1000 of the time I drive it. You can actually feel the axles and driveshaft binding up if you ever so slightly turn the wheel in reverse, and when making tight turns going forward... You'll also have the inside rear tire hopping through forward turns. It also blew my universal joints fairly quickly.

rmoon
07-11-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by lithium
I had a spool... didn't like the strain it put on my drivetrain for daily driving. 4 wheel burnouts and 1.6 60' times are nice, but not worth it for me since my car only sees the track about 1/1000 of the time I drive it. You can actually feel the axles and driveshaft binding up if you ever so slightly turn the wheel in reverse, and when making tight turns going forward... You'll also have the inside rear tire hopping through forward turns. It also blew my universal joints fairly quickly.

I totally agree, but my car is not daily driven. If I had the chance to do it again, I would get a 4 spider center diff. with the spool, 3 point turns is a bitch.

Hobbes =^.^=
07-12-2003, 05:30 AM
How would a 4 spider center diff. help with the spool?

I also have a 2G AWD, how strong/weak is the rear end?

am00re34
07-12-2003, 06:29 AM
i had a welded diff and it was a pain in the ass. my car was daily driven with some track time. and doing a U-turn in the city or pulling around a the drive thru at Mc. Donalds was horrible. I also went threw 3 axels due to the binding it caused.

rmoon
07-12-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Hobbes =^.^=
How would a 4 spider center diff. help with the spool?

I also have a 2G AWD, how strong/weak is the rear end?

Oops. That was a typo. It should have been read like this.

"I totally agree, but my car is not daily driven. If I had the chance to do it again, I would get a 4 spider center diff. With the spool, 3 point turns is a bitch."

awdboost
07-12-2003, 10:54 AM
You should go with the 4-spider diff. Weld is only good for cars that don't turn.. :D But Don't look into Quaife.. I Have one and it's great but It's too expensive and some of use think that the quaife is a reason why some trannys blow up. The hard teeth on the Quife put stress on the stock gear. I blew one tranny like that.