thermo-electric cooling (intercooler) [Archive] - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

: thermo-electric cooling (intercooler)

jsegala
03-16-2001, 06:06 PM
im thinking about putting together some sort of thermo-electric cooling device most likely on the intercooler itself. it could bring the temp of the intercooler to around 0 deg F. Is this to cold? i know i could do it, but what does everyone elese think of this?

hopkinsj
03-21-2001, 03:21 PM
Are you thinking of a Peltie <sp?>? They consume a lot of power! 1.5 Amps @ 12v for a ~1" square. You could use a few of them to cool down things maybe when the car isn't moving. They probably wouldn't be worth the additional alternator load when driving.

jsegala
03-21-2001, 04:40 PM
yup same idea, they do suck massive amounts of power, but a decent optima battery and a 1 farad cap should solve the laod, and i was thinkin more of turning it on at the track than regular street driving...

a 40cm squared one is what i may get,takes 8 amps, cools to 0 deg. F , it would take some work though to get it where it would get decent air flow and keep it away from water...

gsxalex
03-22-2001, 10:41 AM
Sounds like a pretty cool idea. You would definetly want to make a on/off switch for it. And i don't think it is possible to get your intercooler too cold, so don't worry about that. Where do you get the things? I'd like to look into that a bit.

shadow
03-23-2001, 07:06 PM
I have a 24v 25amp peltier for cooling a CPU on my personal computer. That's for cooling a bloody computer chip, admitely a hot-running one, but still, it's nothing compared to the heat that a compressor puts out!

For a peltier to have any effect on the air temp going through your intercooler you'd have to use a 24v peltier (the 12v just don't move enough heat to be of any use in this application)at perhaps 100amps. So that means you need a converter to step up to 24v DC from 12v. 24v100amps = 12v240amp (for an 80% effecient converter). Even sucking that much heat the air will not get anywhere near 0F.

Sorry to have to tell you this... but it's just not worth it, get an intercooler off a diesel truck, it'll be cheaper and it will work very well.