DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1g mirror glass removal

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  DSM Rook 
#1 ·
I cracked the passenger side mirror glass on my 93 Eagle Talon and I want to replace it.

Does the glass just pop off or is there something holding it back? Do I need to remove the mirror housing first?

I cannot seem to find the answer after a few search queries. So if this has been asked just direct me to the forum.

Thanks.

#3 ·
You may wanna try a junk yard, or try looking in your Haynes or Chilton and see if they explain how to take the assembly apart.

Not to be a dick, but I find it hard to believe you have to replace the whole assembly just for your side view mirror. Not that Mitsu/Cryco had ALL good ideas when building these cars, I just think there has to be SOME way....

#4 ·
Skywise said:
You cannot replace the glass, only the whole assembly.
You can replace the glass. It's called a 'redi-cut' and most auto glass places should be able to order one for you and install it. That's the 'brand new' way. Just go to a junkyard and grab a whole unit off a car, so you can learn to take a mirror apart your self.

#6 ·
Once you remove it from the car, you'll see that the bottom side of the mirror has holes. Thats where you insert the screwdriver to remove the screws holding the mirror internals together. There should be two there, and then if you move the mirror around, you'll see a third on towards the outside edge of the 'case' and you'll need a long screwdriver to get to it from the mirror side.

#7 ·
kronus said:
Once you remove it from the car, you'll see that the bottom side of the mirror has holes. Thats where you insert the screwdriver to remove the screws holding the mirror internals together. There should be two there, and then if you move the mirror around, you'll see a third on towards the outside edge of the 'case' and you'll need a long screwdriver to get to it from the mirror side.

Alright, thanks. I just mainly wanted to know if it were possible without removing the full mirror.

But should be easy enough anyway.

#8 ·
This is a mirror on a 93. Remove the 1 phillips screw on the underside of the mirror housing. (there are 2 holes, 1 you will see a screw) The screw may not drop out, this is ok, the mirror will most likely move upwards which you want. There are 2 tabs that the mirror backing slides down on seen in the pics. BECAREFUL about these, if 1 breaks your mirror will vibrate. You'll need to remove the triangular cover inside the door and I think you can access the plug. Unplug that and you can remove the mirror. You can then break out all the old glass. I'm guessing the glass is glued or double sided taped onto the lens insert. Search on google for "1993 eagle talon mirror glass" You should see some places where you can buy a single lens.
Here's a pic of the insides, don't mind the dirt. This car has/was sitting outside for 2 years. Its getting rebuilt this winter.

#10 ·
kronus said:
Holy! Wow. Even better! Thanks for the picture!
You're welcome. Had a few minutes to spare. Obviously the top picture is looking inside of the mirror housing and the bottom is looking at the back of the mirror... insert.

And for anyone who has a mirror that shakes while driving, one or both of those white tabs on the back side of the mirror are broken. If you're lucky like I was with my last car the piece is still there and you can expoxy it back on and make it work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.