DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Cigarette Lighter not working!

12K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SEJ 
#1 ·
The cigarette lighter in my car does not work. It worked for a little bit when I first got it, but now it will not work. I just want it to have power to use my cell phone charger. I checked all the fuses, and they all seemed fine. Any sugestions? Thanks! :)

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. How hard is it to get the center console apart? I just dont want to break anything lol. I went through all the fusses in teh engine compartment fuse box and nothing was burned out. Wich fuse is it I should be looking at? Is there another fuse box someplace else? Thanks allot!

#5 · (Edited)
First get a test light, and figure out if your lighter is missing ground, or positive. Ground the test light, and poke into the lighter to the center pin. Make sure your key is on, and if the light lights, you're missing ground on the lighter. If it doesn't light, you're missing the positive. Some circuits do go bad in even the newest of cars, and a quick fix would be to fuse a wire and run it to the center pin input on the back of the lighter. I do agree that lighter sockets do go bad all the time, but check for power first.

2001 Db Drag Racing world champion 1-2 sub extreme class
TEAM HERTZ

#6 ·
To get to the lighter you need to remove the center shifter consol. You will really just need to lift it up enough to change the lighter housings. There are three screws you need to remove.

- First unscrew and remove the shifter knob.
- At the point where the center shifter consol meets up with the instrument cluster unit where the radio is. There is a piece of plastic the has ridges. This piece just lifts up and under it there are two screws.
- You also need to lift up the ashtray to access the third screw.
- Unscrew the three and the center consol lifts up.

You will be able to access the lighter unit and check the connections and replace if required. If you go to the dealer they can print you off an assembly diagram also. The lighter housing will have a couple of wires connected to it that can be disconnected and the housing is held in place with a washer screw. I hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.