DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Quick BLUE LED Dash Lighting Question...

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  DSM Vice 
#1 ·
Ok, I've been wanting to match my orange HVAC and cruise lights to the other blue lights in my car by swapping over to Blue LED's...I've read all the posts, I read the vfaq and how-to's...only thing I am having trouble deciding on is the ACTUAL LED's. As I was reading through the posts, most complained about the Radio Shack ones as being too dim or directional. The ones listed here in this link from LEDtronics...

aren't available anymore unless you buy like $200 or something (I contacted them).

The best I could find was these on eBay. They don't have nearly the viewing angle of the LEDtronics ones, (30Deg vs. 130Deg.), but they're the widest I could find, and I'm hoping the brightness will make up for it. Also, I think that shaving the tops would help as well. Think these will work? Thanks for the help!

See less See more
#3 ·
You only need a wide angle led for the HVAC controls. For everything else a regular led will work fine. I just used radioshack led's which i wouldn't recomend solely because you can get 100-200 led's on ebay for the same price you pay for all the led's you need. You can file the top of the led off to widen the light pattern. You can also use multiple led's for HVAC which would be best because even the wide angle led's are alittle dim.

#4 ·
talontsiawd said:
You only need a wide angle led for the HVAC controls. For everything else a regular led will work fine. I just used radioshack led's which i wouldn't recomend solely because you can get 100-200 led's on ebay for the same price you pay for all the led's you need. You can file the top of the led off to widen the light pattern. You can also use multiple led's for HVAC which would be best because even the wide angle led's are alittle dim.
Sounds good, I think I'm going to pick those LEDs up. There's 20 of them so I can convert some to wide angle by shaving the tops and then use the rest as they are. Thanks for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.