DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

car shuts off

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  busyb187 
#1 ·
Hey everyone OK so you helped me get my 96 gst on the road but not I'm having another major issues. Quick brief, car is 96 eclipse gst 5 speed, has recently swapped 98 get engine and plastic top 98 ecu. Also has a 1g CAS. When I turn the car on, once it warms up as soon as I press the clutch, even while in neutral, it shuts off. So basically I can't drive the car. I have it parked last 4 days and I've tried various times to drive it but any time I press the clutch car just turns off. Any ideas? Please help as I want to start driving my gst again.... :confused:

#3 ·
Im sure he meant GST...

The 1g cas swap is common to eliminate the crank/cas sensor combo. But I believe it is different between a 96 and 98 ECU because the 2gb went to a different style CAS. I don't remember the specifics, and I might be wrong being it has been years since the last time I messed with a 2g and did the reading. I don't see how pushing the clutch pedal would do anything however. That doesn't make sense to me unless the car was A/T at one point and had a remote start installed.

#4 ·
Sorry I have auto correct. I meant to put GST. And that's exactly what's been driving me crazy that I see no connection between why it would turn off when I press clutch. Before I press clutch idle is at about 950rpm and as soon as I press clutch it just drops to 0.

#6 ·
Does the engine stop if you just tap the clutch pedal (ie something electrical being activated off the cruise control cut switch) or does it seem like when you push the clutch in slowly it starts to lug the engine as if the clutch fork is pushing on the flywheel or something?

#7 ·
I was thinking something like this as well. Perhaps a plug is wrong, dissconected, or grounding out when you push in the clutch, engages it or cuts something off. How much stuff was removed while changing engines?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.