DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Dejon tool SMIC

6K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  dsm_sleeper 
#1 ·
Hey i just read about this SMIC on dejon tools website and was wondering if its any good and if anybody has installed it on there cars. Also was the install hard and did it help significantly?

#7 ·

New 2nd Gen DSM Sidemount is made from a 8.3Wide x 9.3High x 3.5"Thk Spearco core rated at 335hp. 38% more face area and 68% more volume than stock End tanks are 1/8" thk aluminum. Unit is TIG welded and uses stock inlet & outlet tubes. Simply unbolt your stock one and bolt in the new.

Need more?

#8 ·
i was also concidering doing the dejon sidemount, but now i may get a 2nd gen ic and get bigger inlet/outlet welded onto that.

the supra sidemount sounded like a good idea at first, but somebody that did it in my area warned me that it is a pain in the as# and it isn't worth it.

still not sure what i want to do though. (depending on $)

#10 ·
Ok, I hadn't seen that one yet. It is bigger but your money is still better spent on the MKIV IC which makes even the upgraded Dejon that you showed look small. It's not a pain in the ass, it's just a little time consuming to do right. Mine looks stock and my fender doesn't buldge at all and the upgrade is well worth every penny and hour spent. Not worth it?? I don't understand that quote whatsoever. :dunno:

#15 ·
NOMIEZVR4 said:
i dont know if anyone realized, but the intercoolers on teh 90 dsm's are different from the others. was the 90 one, faulty or something? it looks less restriictive than teh others...
My 90 ic appears identical to all pics I have seen of various other 1g ic's (except mine now has 2.25 in/out done cheap locally- not $125 ;))

Joe

#16 ·
Just my 2 cents, but the Supra sidemount wasn't that hard to install. The trouble I ran into was the fact I didn't have the stock 2 1/2 inch stock rubber elbow that came on the I/C. The supra sidemount is HUGE compared to the stocker...I think over double the size. Anyway...I will be posting a review shortly on my install, and a couple of mods I added that I think will be beneficial. I would almost say the install was easy.

#17 ·
i just bought a Dejon 1G sidemount upgraded IC.

it is the 1G stock intercooler with 2.25" inlet and outlets welded on.

this IC does NOT bolt right on.

the lower engine support bar that holds the front motor mount is in the way of the IC.

the IC's lower inlet pipe hits this support bar. i had to cut the support bar lip off and then cut back lengthwise about 4". and then i beat the metal in with hammer.

this was the only way i could get the IC pipe to fit properly and be able to get a coupling over the inlet pipe.

i have yet to test out the car with the pocket logger.

#18 ·
Grizzly- do you have awd? I am fwd and it works fine. Maybe that is the difference? Of course, I modded my own stocker, but maybe there is indeed a difference between the 90 and later years?

Joe

#19 ·
joereitman said:
Grizzly- do you have awd? I am fwd and it works fine. Maybe that is the difference? Of course, I modded my own stocker, but maybe there is indeed a difference between the 90 and later years?

Joe
yes, i do have the AWD. now that you mention that, i dont think the FWD has that front support.

so the install should be no problem on a FWD..... but a pain in the ass on a AWD

#20 ·
Grizzly said:

yes, i do have the AWD. now that you mention that, i dont think the FWD has that front support.

so the install should be no problem on a FWD..... but a pain in the ass on a AWD
Another thought- Dejon has come up with a pneumatic sytem to stiffen and raise the rear of the car for better traction, a FWD trick, so maybe their shop car is FWD?

I don't have an engine support in close proximity to the ic.

Joe

#21 ·
Grizzly said:

It is not any harder on an AWD than a FWD. The diference from the 90 IC is it doesn't have the extended inlet pipe on the bottom, it has a short, straight in connection whereas the 91-93 have a bend and extension on them. If there are any other differences, somebody please point them out. Anybody who thinks installing a Supra IC is a pain in the ass obviously has no patience or the proper tools or knowhow/mechanical ability to get it done properly. Mine looks stock and wasn't hard at all with proper planning and some minor cutting.

#22 ·
"the 91-93 have a bend and extension on them"

So does my mid year 90...

#23 ·
i bought some 2.5" intercooler pipes (upper AND lower), bigger turbo outlet, and 2.5" throttle body elbow- for $150 :D

so I figured 2.5" Lower IC pipe to a 1g 1-3/4" inlet would be a waste, so I had Indy Race Cores mod my 1g SMIC for 2.5" in/outs to match the pipes nicely ;)

I noticed a ~4psi increase without touching the MBC (over stock piping+SMIC). After turning the boost down to ~16, with the piping, SMIC, and K&N, I was able to chirp the 1-2 shift (stock clutch) regularly, and noticed the water temps were much more stable than before the SMIC+pipes.

-aaron

#24 ·
if i was gonna get a sidemount for a 2g, it would be the one from hahn's. nice big i/c (bigger than dejon's anyway), don't have to hack up any metal or anything for install, and still good for up to 400 horsepower. if i was going for more power than that, i'd go for a frountmount anyway....which of course i'm shooting for around 600hp so this discussion doesn't really apply to me. just throwing in my 2 cents.
scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.