DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

removing engine

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  DSM-Geo 
#1 ·
I'm removing my 7 bolt and putting another in. How difficult is this if I leave the automatic tranny in?

After I remove the bolt around the tranny, do I have to remove the bolts from teh tourque converter or will it just come out with the engine? I've never taken either out so I'm not completly sure what is bolted to what. I know the torque converter is attached to the flywheel which attached to the block. IF I remove all the electrical connection and the bolts around the outside of the tranny, bolts that connect the tranny to the block, can I just slide the engine to the right and pull up or no?

If I go that route, will I still have to remove the axles and transfercase? Like I mentioned I'd really just like to remove the engine alone if possible.

#3 ·
talintidturbo91 said:
Everytime i do an engine pull i take the trans out with it. I just find that it is a-lot easier to line up the engine and trans along with the motor and trans mounts. Thats just my opinion, i am pretty sure that everyone else does it that way too?
Agreed. 1g and 2g.

#6 ·
I was told if I remove the inspection plate and unbolt the torque converter and then just slide it over I should be able to remove the engine without having to struggle. Then when putting it back in all you have to do is light it up for the bolts that hold the converter to the fly wheel.

Anyone tried this? This was from a buddy of mine who said that would be the easiest way if doing it with leaving the tranny in.

I really dont want to mess with dropping the transfer case,then pulling the axles out and unhooking all the sensors and such on the tranny. Just more that can go wrong. Especially when its all gotta be done in one day.

any other suggestions? Or will the above work or is there no room to undo the converter bolts on our cars throug the inspection plate area?

#8 ·
With an auto you should definately pull the trans and motor together. If the convertor is stuck in the crank you WILL be hating life trying pull the motor from it. Autos don't have flywheels they have flexplates. The auto DSM has 4 bolts that bolt the flexplate to the convertor. You can remove those prior to dropping the motor so the trans will come away from the motor once out of the car and you remove the trans bolts.

The auto trans makes the motor extremely heavy so be carefull. It is nearly twice the weight of the manual trans. If you have anymore questions I can help.

#10 ·
I tried removing my engine without the transmission and I just could not. I needed like one more inch of space. Just take out the transmission and the engine alltogether by removing the bar underneath the trans and lowering them untill you have enough space to seperate them. This was a lot simpler for me.

#12 ·
I removed the engine without the trans, you WILL end up beating the crap of the driver side strut tower, not to mention that reinstalling it is going to be an even bigger pain in the ass. I'm just going to pull the trans out, mount it to the engine and drop it in. This is one of those times when it's tough either way. Just do what everyone else has done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.